Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not another tow vehicle thread

5inthesun

Pretty much sounds like how I drive. Most of the time anyway. I have an easy commute of about 25 miles, pick up a small but heavy box trailer w/o trailer brakes about 30% of the time and then go the remaining 10-20 miles from the shop to the job. I just replaced the front brakes on my truck for the first time at just under 80,000 miles. I'm too embarrassed to say what kind of truck I drive tho. ☺

Its Dodge right?

Up until 2003, I always had an F150 with the 5.0. Didn't pull a boat or other trailers back then. Since July 2003I have had F250. On the 2003 with 6.0 diesel, which I bought new and sold in 2008 with 117,000 (just broken in), I put the first brake set on at 66k miles and still had about 1/8th left. Mostly highway miles but about 10,000 miles of that plowing snow. The second, a 2005 F250 that I bought used in 2010 with 19,000 miles on it, I had to put breaks on at 45k and had about 1/8 left on them. Don't like to replace rotors, so I check them often, both inner and outer, because you can have calipers stick and make them wear excessively on the inside... learned the hard way on a 1984 f150 that I bought new and only had about 28k miles on it. Like LBJ, I too don't push my vehicle, but try to keep it steady so as to pamper her to last in good shape until the next. Bought a new 2014 F250 at the end of 2013 and really like the performance, and once i'm out of the warranty, I will install a chip and get better mileage and performance. Right now she gets 15-17 around town and 18-21 on the road. When pulling the boat and truck full of gear and people, it gets 14-15. After reading what is coming out in the near future, I wish I had waited a couple of years as the transmissions that are coming out with may significantly improve the mileage and performance.

One example would be a principal that we had that was in our shop every three months for brakes. He lived in hilly country but my thought was that the surface area of the brake pad was quite small for a 8600lb k2500 suburban. I am not exaggerating one bit. Every 3 months.

you should have followed him home one time...my guess is he's a two-footed driver. every time i'm behind someone that's two-footing i want to yell at them!

you should have followed him home one time...my guess is he's a two-footed driver. every time i'm behind someone that's two-footing i want to yell at them!

Maybe he was! But what is hilarious is that i am a 2 footed driver. I started driving race cars in high school and never changed the habit :lol: My dad drives the same way....from racing stock cars back in the day.

I am positive I don't leave the brake lights on though like some.

Don't be hating on two footed drivers. I am one, that's the way I was taught by my dad. I use two feet for safety and quicker response to stuff happening. GOOD two footers would never have the brake and the throttle on at the same time unless we are doing one of those oh-so-tight Type A maneuvers to fit a whole car into a 3/4 car slot in traffic. In NJ people would give you that space because you had the balls to earn it. In OH you just have to push the sheep around a bit to get your way.

• Like 1

And in Boston you actually have to display the balls to earn a 3/4 car slot. Just having them available isn't enough.

Portland traffic I am sure is better than other parts of the country yet everytime I drive in Portland I get angry because people drive like jackwagons....people go to all this effort just to gain a car length over where they were. Type A driving.

Its so simple its stupid. Leave for work 5 minutes earlier. Drive in a relaxed manner. Show up for work at ease and not stressed out. Get better fuel mileage. Don't risk your life. Don't risk other peoples life.

I am just glad I am 5-10 minutes away from work.

I would never make it in Boston or New Jersey.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson