Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X tower bimini- replacement canvas

MikkaJ

Hi all, I have a 2007 Wakesetter VLX with an illusion X tower. I am having trouble finding where to get a replacement canvas for this. I see Bakesonline sells the complete bimini, but I am assuming that is frame also. Is it possible to just get the replacement canvas and boot on it's own? If anyone has had any luck that would be great. Thanks.

I would look at towersbiminis.com .... I think they are still in business or go to a local canvas shop. If you have no luck, let me know. A friend of mine has a canvas shop in my home town and he has made me one and he can hook you up.

Mac

• Like 2

Thanks Mac. I am in Australia, but happy to get one shipped over as necessary. Malibu Australia don't like supplying for Malibu boats that have been imported. We have a local canvas guy that does great covers but he doesn't want to try the bimini. Though he is doing a cover for me this week so might show him the bimini and ask him to take a look. Surely they aren't the hardest bimini to reproduce. I will try that site and see how I go. I have contacted RNR marine? But no reply from them as yet. Cheers for the reply! PS. How much was yours to get made up? Thanks.

MikkaJ, I think my buddy charged me about $300. ...maybe alittle more...it was a while ago, so i dont quite recall. I can find out if you want me to for sure. II literally took off my Bimini from my tower and took the tubing out of the canvass and he measured it out and sewed it exactly like the one I had. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Mac

Thanks Mac. I heard back from Bakes, they can make one if my bimini is one of theirs. I am not sure if mine is their version or a metcraft one. Will have to find out. I am going to try the local guy again to see if he can do it. Surely it can't be that hard! Tower biminis don't do factory OEM ones for Malibu.

Find a solid local Canvas repair tailor. I had a canvas upholstery mom & pop shop fix our old bimini and make a brand new bimini cover for really cheap (around 250$). I wouldn't buy a brand new one from bakes when a authentic canvas place can copy your old one for much cheaper. Also I had our guy make it with a thicker more durable canvas.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! we are still learning our boat and I found this thread. need some help.. we had planned to pull our bimini down to trailer home.. Is this what everyone does? I believe (after reading this thread) we think its a metcraft bimini as the original sale paperwork said MC bimini.. Is there a way to take this down or fold up? we cant find any videos or anything on this.. please help us new BU owners..

I take mine off and stow in the bottom of the boat for trailering. I know people that put it in the boot and leave it attached to the tower as well with no issue.

To take it down or fold it up, there are slide releases where the bimin frame connects to the tower, slide the button down and pull the bimini frame pole out.

• Like 2

OK thank you so much. we saw the push pins you could push in and slide the pole out but it would have the smaller side attached to the tower left over. but figured there was a way to take it off. We also have two bimini covers including in the boat I am guessing one for the front and one of the back of the bimini.

I forgot to stow mine and drove most of the way to Lake Sutton, WV from Charlotte, NC before it dawned on me :Doh: but not a problem what so ever, fabric is fine and hardware still tight, my buddy following me said it hardly moved at 70+ mph. Not something I plan to make a habit but good to know.

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...

I am also looking for just the canvas for Illusion-X tower on a 2004 25’ Malibu Sunscape. Most everything I find includes the Bimini hardware / frame. 

On 10/21/2020 at 1:28 PM, Leothomp said:

Yes. I like the longer bimini, but for now I am just looking to replace the canvas for cost reasons. 

Finding a local canvas shop is going to be your best bet.  

• Like 1