Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Too many boats

jklein

When we do our usual houseboating trip this year, there's going to be four (4) boats that need to moor next to the houseboat.

It's sad that this stuff keeps me awake at night, but I'm trying to figure out a way to make parking all of the boats as little hassle as possible.

There's only room for one boat on each side of the houseboat due to no side access and houseboat mooring ropes.

Here are some of the options being considered and the pros and cons of each.

1. Double up the parking. This is where you park one boat on the side of the houseboat (the inside boat), and another boat parallel to the first boat (the outside boat).

(PROS): Easy to park and easy for the outside boat to come and go.

(CONS): Difficult for the inside boat to come and go. Need two peeps minimum. Big rollers can cause boat banging.

2. Anchor a buoy and use the anchor buddy for overflow boats.

(PROS): keeps boats from banging into each other. Once setup it is easy to park.

(CONS): can be difficult to setup if the water is too deep or the anchor does not hold well. Ropes can get in the way of boats that are tied to the houseboat or get run over. You definitely want to pull the Anchor buddy boat to the houseboat for loading and unloading, not to the shore.

Any other ideas?

When we do our usual houseboating trip this year, there's going to be four (4) boats that need to moor next to the houseboat.

It's sad that this stuff keeps me awake at night, but I'm trying to figure out a way to make parking all of the boats as little hassle as possible.

There's only room for one boat on each side of the houseboat due to no side access and houseboat mooring ropes.

Here are some of the options being considered and the pros and cons of each.

1. Double up the parking. This is where you park one boat on the side of the houseboat (the inside boat), and another boat parallel to the first boat (the outside boat).

(PROS): Easy to park and easy for the outside boat to come and go.

(CONS): Difficult for the inside boat to come and go. Need two peeps minimum. Big rollers can cause boat banging.

2. Anchor a buoy and use the anchor buddy for overflow boats.

(PROS): keeps boats from banging into each other. Once setup it is easy to park.

(CONS): can be difficult to setup if the water is too deep or the anchor does not hold well. Ropes can get in the way of boats that are tied to the houseboat or get run over. You definitely want to pull the Anchor buddy boat to the houseboat for loading and unloading, not to the shore.

Any other ideas?

Take a look at the pics from Memorial Day weekend, we had as many as 11 tied up and no one got hurt.

Take a look at the pics from Memorial Day weekend, we had as many as 11 tied up and no one got hurt.

Looking at those pictures, it looks like you guys with with his "option 1"

When we tie off the houseboat in a cove we have a line off the bow and stern to shore. We will tie off boats to each of those lines. If you tie the boat off with a loose knot you can pull the boat into the houseboat to board and then push the boat back out along the tie off line. Hopefully that was not too confusing.

We did option 1 on LS-ones HB. It worked pretty well, every one was pretty good about getting alot of fenders out. I couldn't find a scratch on it. :)

That said, many times like last years WOW, I will just anchor by boat near the HB.

Couldn’t you locate the HB ropes up higher so you could locate the boats on the side w/o double parking? We double parked several boats last weekend and worked out just fine. Additionally can you park one boat at the rear, some boats you can some you can’t.

We did option 1 on LS-ones HB. It worked pretty well, every one was pretty good about getting alot of fenders out. I couldn't find a scratch on it. :)

That said, many times like last years WOW, I will just anchor by boat near the HB.

That being said, I think the bu's were safer tied to the houseboat last weekend versus an anchor with the winds we had.

That being said, I think the bu's were safer tied to the houseboat last weekend versus an anchor with the winds we had.

Not doubt...I don't think I would have slept much if mine have been anchored that way. :(

can you park one boat at the rear, some boats you can some you can’t.
So you're saying some boats prefer the rear?
There's a joke about boats with 13 dudes in there somewhere. Yuk.gif

:lol:

Leave it to SRR to pollute my post. Eat your own dogfood pal. Hey when are we going to ride? Are you so shanook whipped that you can't ride with your crew anymo'?

Double up parking doesn't work because there's no walkway on the side of the HB and the houseboat mooring rope is in the way.

I've done parallel parking before, it's the hassle factor more than the damage factor that gets to me.

Maybe I'm just too type A.

Its funny you mention that because before my first houseboating trip I remmeber laying in bed worried about the same thing.

I ended up going with a separate anchor bouy because I was worried about damage to my bu and it worked out great.

Sounds like either way is ok as long as you are careful to set things up together when raftign them together.

I had much more peace of mind having the boat anchored separately though cause it wasn't going anywhere on the big honking dansforth I had on the bouy and I didn't have to worry about scratches every time a wave came by.

Leave it to SRR to pollute my post. Eat your own dogfood pal. Hey when are we going to ride? Are you so shanook whipped that you can't ride with your crew anymo'?

The big move is this weekend, tonight will be my last night in the old house. The following weekend is final move wrap up, and Shasta the weekend after that Yahoo.gif

Then we'll be ready to get out locally. I know Collin is really excited to do some riding this year, so maybe we can drag him along sometime too

Maybe I'm just too type A

On this board... it is all relative Biggrin.gif

I'm not going there. Crazy.gif

Whistling.gif I like big boats and I cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny.....

You don't have to worry about scratching your Malibu if you have the proper bumper set up between boats.

We typically tie to the mooring ropes of the HB (if they are set right...LOL) Just use some small pieces of rope and tie to the tower fore and aft bow facing away from the HB and just enough clearance with the swim platform so it doesn't bang and I can make the "jump". We also tie at least 1 boat to the back of the HB. Has worked for the past 5 yrs.

You don't have to worry about scratching your Malibu if you have the proper bumper set up between boats.

We typically tie to the mooring ropes of the HB (if they are set right...LOL) Just use some small pieces of rope and tie to the tower fore and aft bow facing away from the HB and just enough clearance with the swim platform so it doesn't bang and I can make the "jump". We also tie at least 1 boat to the back of the HB. Has worked for the past 5 yrs.

This set up seems questionable if you are on a lake with fluctuating water levels. You have the ropes tight on the stakes on shore and if the water comes up a foot or so overnight it will create slack in the rope and a shift in wind will give a lot of slack to one side of the mooring lines potentially allowing the ski boat to contact the houseboat. I'm glad it has worked for you but when I tie up my boat nice and tight, under a good wind one side of the mooring ropes can get quite a bit of slack in it. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not going there. Crazy.gif

Whistling.gif I like big boats and I cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny.....

Thanks, I'll have that song in my head all day now. :lol:

Every think of using something rigid between boats to keep them apart?

I was thinking maybe a trip to the pluming department and some pipe to go from tower to tower and from ski pole to ski pole. Not sure how it would fasten, but their may be something there. I see pontoons using rigid mounts to docks all the time. Of course who cares if you scratch a pontoon!

There was a product that connected boats together using suction cups with a retractable arm that would keep the boats about a 1-2 apart. I can't remember where I saw it.

There was a product that connected boats together using suction cups with a retractable arm that would keep the boats about a 1-2 apart. I can't remember where I saw it.

Overton's used to sell them, my luck with suction cups on boats has never been good.

Edited by LS-One