Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yet another F150 thread.....

saidainc

How many people have F150s  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What vehicle do you tow with?

• Ford 150 (or plan to)
    • Another better choice

Wow guys......are we really almost looking at half us either considering an F150 or currently driving one???

I have to admit, this is a bit of a surprise considering how many good choices are actually out there. Is it just Kool Aid intoxication or is there something more to this?

Wow guys......are we really almost looking at half us either considering an F150 or currently driving one???

I have to admit, this is a bit of a surprise considering how many good choices are actually out there. Is it just Kool Aid intoxication or is there something more to this?

Stir the pot.. sit back.. must be winter.

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Limited - have had it for 7 months now, best truck I have ever owned and tows like a champ...food for thought, my dad buys over $14 million worth of trucks a year for a large electrical company, that is his job, drove a F150 Platinum for the past 3.5 years, was up for his new truck, can buy whatever he wants...bought a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 L Hemi, takes delivery next week...I am not a Ford basher or hater, the F150 was my other choice last spring after driving them all, in the end could not over look the interior, ride comfort and the UConnect system in the Dodge's...and I am coming from Chevy...

Anyway, good luck, but for those of you in the market, do yourself a favour and drive them all, you may be surprised...I know I was.

P.S. - Is it summer yet... :(

• Like 2

They're absolute beasts, for sure.

But maintaining one is what sucks. I can't STAND working on a Dodge. :/

A guy wrote an article (that's pretty dead on) for what it's like to drive a Dodge Viper every day.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/what-is-it-like-to-daily-drive-a-dodge-viper-1468362841

The article is hilarious, but here's what I find applies to most Dodge's:

Chrysler does not make a lot of great vehicles, and I know this because I've owned six of them. I also know this because I spend some time with my head jammed in the fender wells of fancy German cars thinking, "Wow, that's really clever," and also some time crawling underneath Chrysler products thinking "Wow, that is literally the laziest possible way to do that." Maybe it is because my first three cars were Chrysler products, but I always find some charm in them. When I see something haphazardly bolted to the firewall in a seeming random location with total disregard for serviceability or NVH, I always imagine some Chrysler engineer, we'll call him Roy, saying "It's just an ABS pump, what do you want from me?"

This is hilarious. As a Tech I think my first exposure to Chrysler was a minivan with woodgrain on the side or a "woodywagon". The family that owned it was going on vacation and the 3.0 (mitsubishi engine I think) needed new heads before the trip. Problem was they needed it right away. Anyway I don't ever remember being is such a bad mood when I got home from work as I was that day.

Anyway long story short whenever I work on a Chrysler my favorite word is "Bass Akwards" because that is exactly how they seem to me. Everyone else does it one way and Chrysler does it another.

I can identify with your article.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson

'14 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 Hemi (coming from a Denali with 6.2 Vortec that drank gas like LeBron drinks Gatorade). Smaller displacement, more torque, more horsepower, much improved gas mileage - and a 32 gal tank further helps the range. Technology is good.

Just picked it up last month so not yet towed with it. Looking fwd to the first trip with the Bu over the Cascades later this spring. 8 spd gearbox is very smooth.

First pickup since high school, so they've changed. Just. A. Bit. LOL! Can't believe the creature comforts you can get in a truck these days.

This is hilarious. As a Tech I think my first exposure to Chrysler was a minivan with woodgrain on the side or a "woodywagon". The family that owned it was going on vacation and the 3.0 (mitsubishi engine I think) needed new heads before the trip. Problem was they needed it right away. Anyway I don't ever remember being is such a bad mood when I got home from work as I was that day.

Was it the typical crack between the valves? Hearing that a caravan, avenger, etc., was coming in with a misfire code was certainly cringeworthy. I had the pleasure of swapping a couple of those back in the hayday of the American minivan. That ole missesbitchy 3 liter was a PITA to work on for sure!

• Like 1

dodge fanboy here....'10 Ram, laramie, 4x4, loaded. 5 years old now (to me), 70k miles, been absolutely flawless, my favorite vehicle ever. From the drive to the looks, Dodge knocked it out of the park and the new 8 speed is just icing on top for an otherwise fantastic vehicle. I'll admit some homerism on this, but I don't see how anyone buys a ford or chevy after sitting in a dodge interior. It rivals TOL offerings from high end sedans. Heated back seats for crying out loud...five years ago! Best of all, some current numbers I'm seeing suggest it has depreciated 13k from what I paid for it. Basically $200/mo driving a 50,000 truck. That's insane, jeep wrangler-like depreciation numbers there.

Just sold my Ram 1500 with the 8 Speed. Very smooth. Ram Box was a nice touch. Great for gear/rear tie towns, Cleaners/Hot Sauce, extra towels, etc. Never had to think about packing it as it was always with me. 32 gal tank was great for longer drives and the 3.92 rear end gave me a little more comfort even though I had enough torque/power.

Oil changes in it were not fun, though. Hate paying people to do jobs I can do...but this job in particular SUCKED!

Ford F150 was a very close 2nd before my purchase. The items mentioned above where the deciding factor. No hate to the F150. I have friends that swear by it. And look at the staggering numbers. It is clearly a favorite among the group.

Sold my Ram recently to a guy who clearly loved it more than I did. Couldn't pass it up. I almost bought a second but opted for a '15 F250. An unbelievable truck no doubt...but there are features of the Ram that I do miss.

Have about 20 work trucks around here. Couple F150s, two Chevs, handful of Toyotas and the rest Dodge all between 2009 and 2014. The Chevs have terrible clunky transmissions and the gauge cluster drives me nuts, always driving 10 under or 10 over. The Toyotas are rarely driven and look like they are 10 years old. Never understood the hype for Japanese trucks. We seem to get monthly recall notices on the Dodges. F150s haven't had a problem yet.

I bought a F150 for personal use based on the experiences above. Havent had a problem with it either and it lives a pretty hard life. I have zero brand loyalty and buy whatever feels the most cost effective. Hence the Axis :)

Just sold my Ram 1500 with the 8 Speed. Very smooth. Ram Box was a nice touch. Great for gear/rear tie towns, Cleaners/Hot Sauce, extra towels, etc. Never had to think about packing it as it was always with me. 32 gal tank was great for longer drives and the 3.92 rear end gave me a little more comfort even though I had enough torque/power.

Oil changes in it were not fun, though. Hate paying people to do jobs I can do...but this job in particular SUCKED!

Ford F150 was a very close 2nd before my purchase. The items mentioned above where the deciding factor. No hate to the F150. I have friends that swear by it. And look at the staggering numbers. It is clearly a favorite among the group.

Sold my Ram recently to a guy who clearly loved it more than I did. Couldn't pass it up. I almost bought a second but opted for a '15 F250. An unbelievable truck no doubt...but there are features of the Ram that I do miss.

Why was the oil change so bad? I change mine and don't see what's the big deal? No plates to mess with, clear access to filter. Whats the issue? I'm not disagreeing I'm really just asking.

Was it the typical crack between the valves? Hearing that a caravan, avenger, etc., was coming in with a misfire code was certainly cringeworthy. I had the pleasure of swapping a couple of those back in the hayday of the American minivan. That ole missesbitchy 3 liter was a PITA to work on for sure!

I should look it up to test my memory but......

What I remember is that the valve guides would work loose and oil would run down the back of the valve causing them to smoke badly. There was an updated head available.

I also remember that instead of an upper engine mount common to almost all fwd vehicles chrysler used a big plate that had about 15 different bolts in it all different lengths to secure the front of the engine. That plate had to be removed to get to the heads. But this was years ago!

But it is absolutely true, whenever I work on one they don't seem engineered, they seem haphazardly put together. I remember Chrysler bragging that they can bring a car from concept to production faster than any other manufacture....and I believe it.

Why was the oil change so bad? I change mine and don't see what's the big deal? No plates to mess with, clear access to filter. Whats the issue? I'm not disagreeing I'm really just asking.

Is yours a '13? Mine was. Maybe they changed the '14's. Hopefully they did.

I didn't have clear access to the filter. For an easier job, I had to take off the front skid plate just to get a hand on it. Doable without doing that, but you had to really work at it. And, I would spill oil all over everything because you had to turn it almost 30 degrees to get it down between other parts. Not the easiest/cleanest job.

My previous Ford F150 was much easier and my F250 is a breeze.

Is yours a '13? Mine was. Maybe they changed the '14's. Hopefully they did.

I didn't have clear access to the filter. For an easier job, I had to take off the front skid plate just to get a hand on it. Doable without doing that, but you had to really work at it. And, I would spill oil all over everything because you had to turn it almost 30 degrees to get it down between other parts. Not the easiest/cleanest job.

My previous Ford F150 was much easier and my F250 is a breeze.

mines a 10...dunno

mines a 10...dunno

My old man has an '11 and it is easy as well. They made changes to the hemi in '13 to squeeze out 5 more horsepower. Whatever they did, they obviously moved some things around and the oil filer ended up in a bad spot.

For the average joe who takes their vehicle to a quicky lube, they'd never know. For the rest of us who do our own maintenance, it's not as easy. Not a negative to the vehicle, just a heads up to whomever is buying one.

I can do the same with my MKC. Start from a smart phone, computer. Never need to take a key out of your pocket. If I get close to the vehicle I can just touch the door knob and it unlocks. No key ignition climb in and hit the start button. If its dark come close to the vehicle if you are a key holder and it aluminates.

The new vehicles are something else today for all the electronics.

• 1 month later...