Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect wakeboat tow rig might be the 2016 Titan XD

UWSkier

I don't know, I see a lot of 300k+ mile diesels on the road, not so much on the gas side. And I've seen more valves dropped/tuliped on high rev engines than diesels, but there are a lot more gassers than diesels for comparison sake.

Diesels were exempt on emissions for the longest time, now that they are popular, poof, more regs.

I still think for efficiency, towing power, and longevity, a diesel is the choice. YMMV

• Like 1

1600 for more than a second or two on a diesel is a melted piston. My 2010 is turned up as high as the stock turbo will go, it never gets over 1500. Normal temps are around 900.

1600 for more than a second or two on a diesel is a melted piston. My 2010 is turned up as high as the stock turbo will go, it never gets over 1500. Normal temps are around 900.

My Spartan tuned 6.4 would regen at 1200 on the highway and I saw as high as 1800 on the 310 tune. Suppose it matters where you read the temp but regardless my point was that heat is bad and high torque modern diesels make a lot of it compared to a N/A gas engine.

• 1 year later...

a little thread bump here. 

anyone have a titan diesel and towing a decent size boat?  Just curious about your thoughts?  MPG, handling, climbing, etc.

FWIW, I've got a 2012 Suburban which is running great. 

I'm just curious about the 5.0 cummins. 

I noticed one for sale in Billings, MT.  2016, New, Nissan Titan Crew S, 5.0 Diesel, 4x4; $36,300.  That seems really cheap for a cummins in a Titan, no?     

The 5.0 Cummings is weak. seriously, huge disappointment.

it was among one of the weakest trucks tested towing a 7k load.

the Ford 5.0 gasser out tows it. The 5.6, 5.7, Eco and 6.2 destroy it.

go to YouTube and search Ike Gauntlet 

Titan XD.

48 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

Titan XD.

There's a reason why Dodge passed on the 5L Cummins.  It just isn't that good.  Granted I drive a 6.6L duramax now, but I drove the 5.0 cummins earlier this year and it was a step behind my '14 6.2L Chevy for towing, which just isn't acceptable for a turbo diesel.  If you're going to put up with a diesel you better get the perks of fuel mileage and great towing.

I was truly looking forward to this truck... epic fail for any serious towing. Maybe good to 5-6000 on flat terrain.

Now, with that said.  Holy cow these are cheap.  Local dealer had a Titan XD Cummins Platinum Reserve for $39k.

if you don't have a heavy tow... it's still a truck built like a crap brick house, maxed out for under $40k.

2 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Titan XD.

The guys on that video said they really liked the powerplant.  

On 12/2/2016 at 9:14 PM, nyryan2001 said:

I was truly looking forward to this truck... epic fail for any serious towing. Maybe good to 5-6000 on flat terrain.

Now, with that said.  Holy cow these are cheap.  Local dealer had a Titan XD Cummins Platinum Reserve for $39k.

if you don't have a heavy tow... it's still a truck built like a crap brick house, maxed out for under $40k.

Got a link to this thing?  I am considering a nice gasser Titan as well

1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

That one is now sold...

go to cars.com

Titan XD, 4x4 drivetrain, diesel Platinum Reserve trim... cheapest one right now is $42k about 30miles from me.

Gas engine would be about $3k cheaper.

@nyryan2001, know anything about the gasser in these trucks?  or anyone else have any experience with them? 

Wife wants out of her nissan lease and I'm strongly considering one of these

The 5.6L Nissan/Infinity V8 has an excellent QAQC reputation.  It's hp/tq numbers are inline with a large regularly aspirated V8s.

i would put their 5.6 in the same reliability league as the Toyota 5.7 and the GM 6.0.

i just wish the hp/tq numbers were a bit higher for what I need a truck for.  7,000lb tow at 70-75mph is much different and easier than a 8500-9000k tow at 70-75mph, especially in the 1/2ton category.

right now 3.5eco and the GM 6.2 own the large 1/2ton category but you are at near $50k for a leather seats version.

But this Titan XD in the 7,000lb tow range... is a very serious contender. Either diesel or gas. 

Edited by nyryan2001
On 12/10/2016 at 1:22 PM, nyryan2001 said:

The 5.6L Nissan/Infinity V8 has an excellent QAQC reputation.  It's hp/tq numbers are inline with a large regularly aspirated V8s.

i would put their 5.6 in the same reliability league as the Toyota 5.7 and the GM 6.0.

i just wish the hp/tq numbers were a bit higher for what I need a truck for.  7,000lb tow at 70-75mph is much different and easier than a 8500-9000k tow at 70-75mph, especially in the 1/2ton category.

right now 3.5eco and the GM 6.2 own the large 1/2ton category but you are at near $50k for a leather seats version.

But this Titan XD in the 7,000lb tow range... is a very serious contender. Either diesel or gas. 

I would agree the old 5.6 had a good reputation but this one is reworked pretty heavily.  As to 7000-8500# differences, I would agree but the XD tranny sounds up to the task given its tow ratings.  But, both the Ram 5.7 and 6.4 make more power and torque.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I think the new 5.6 in these trucks is the Infinity 5.6 that has been in the big Infi SUV for a while. 400hp and 420-ish torgue? The older 5.6 was 315hp or so. That is what we have in the Armada and I think it is a great powerplant. The 5 spd tranny backed to it is a nice combination. More gears is usually nice, but I haven't had an issue with it. I would seriously consider the new Titan with the new 5.6. The only ones on the lot here are Cummins powered.

They were late to launch 5.6 gas non XD Titan (390hp/394lb-ft) hoping the  XD Cumming would sell good.  They are giving them away now.  The new  non XD truck seems unchanged overall other than direct inj. engine, 7 spd trans., and a beefier rear.  2 speed transfer is optional now on 4wd except in the pro-4 package which is also the only way you can get the e- locking rear.  Hopefully the new tranny is still made by Jatco.  Still have my 2004 with 200K on the odo figuring a new 2018 may be in my future.  My 04 is still solid and tight and runs great spending at least 25% of its life towing boats, campers, or snowmobiles.  Overall,15mpg with a drop to about 10 when towing.  Cold weather pulls mpg's down too, something for folks up north to consider.

Edited by electricjohn

I miss my '06 Titan.  My '16 Denali is alright, but it's nowhere near as interesting to drive.  I'd consider another Nissan.  Had some annoying axle seal issues early on mine, and it went through wheel bearings up front a bit too fast for my taste, but overall, it was a solid machine.

Four axle shaft seals, two of which were under warranty.  The two I did cost me about $125 each, which includes parts, having the old pressed off and new pressed on, and gear lube.  Also a new front bearing and a radiator.  Put a new '07 style (2 in, 1 out) exhaust system on in 2012.  Other than that, maintenance.  I do consider myself lucky considering the problems the '04s to '06s had.  That's why I am waiting till 2018 before I consider the 2nd gen titan.

On 12/16/2016 at 10:06 AM, electricjohn said:

They were late to launch 5.6 gas Titan (390hp/394lb-ft) hoping the Cumming would sell good.  They are giving them away now.  New truck seems unchanged overall other than direct inj. engine, 7 spd trans., and a beefier rear.  2 speed transfer is optional now on 4wd except in the pro-4 package which is also the only way you can get the e- locking rear.  Hopefully the new tranny is still made by Jatco.  Still have my 2004 with 200K on the odo figuring a new 2018 may be in my future.  My 04 is still solid and tight and runs great spending at least 25% of its life towing boats, campers, or snowmobiles.  Overall,15mpg with a drop to about 10 when towing.  Cold weather pulls mpg's down too, something for folks up north to consider.

Not the case.

the Titan XD is no where the same truck... much heavier frame, suspension, brakes and steering. It's by far the sturdiest 1/2ton out there by a mile.

the issue they are having us folks wanted to see a bit more power out of the gas.... and a lot more power out of the diesel versions.

1 hour ago, nyryan2001 said:

Not the case.

the Titan XD is no where the same truck... much heavier frame, suspension, brakes and steering. It's by far the sturdiest 1/2ton out there by a mile.

the issue they are having us folks wanted to see a bit more power out of the gas.... and a lot more power out of the diesel versions.

How exactly is it the "sturdiest 1/2 ton by a mile"?  It doesn't have an advantage on GVWR or GAWR (front or rear) over either a Chevy 1500 or a Ford F150.  The 4800 pound RAWR actually puts it with a lower cargo capacity than either of those trucks.

Edited by RyanB