Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Vibration

I recently put a new Acme 13 x 12 prop on my 2000 LXI (Thanks D-Goose!!) and while the pull is awesome, I think there is more vibration or resonance in the drive train. It is most noticeable when the throttle is chopped (when a skier falls); when the rpms drop, there is a noticeable vibration as the engine falls back to idle. I am thinking it could be the prop, or could be an alignment issue on the shaft. I bought the boat this winter so I am not that familiar with its propensities like the last boat that I had for 7 years. Any ideas on how to check things out, or is this normal? I almost hate to say that I drove a 2001 SN over the weekend and that drivetrain was silky smooth--that is when I noticed the difference with my boat. I don't really have a dealer close by and haven't found a local mechanic that I am comfortable with...

I recently put a new Acme 13 x 12 prop on my 2000 LXI (Thanks D-Goose!!) and while the pull is awesome, I think there is more vibration or resonance in the drive train. It is most noticeable when the throttle is chopped (when a skier falls); when the rpms drop, there is a noticeable vibration as the engine falls back to idle. I am thinking it could be the prop, or could be an alignment issue on the shaft. I bought the boat this winter so I am not that familiar with its propensities like the last boat that I had for 7 years. Any ideas on how to check things out, or is this normal? I almost hate to say that I drove a 2001 SN over the weekend and that drivetrain was silky smooth--that is when I noticed the difference with my boat. I don't really have a dealer close by and haven't found a local mechanic that I am comfortable with...

check the motor alignment...that was my vibration issue at low RPM

If you don't know how, download the OM from malibuboats.com in the download section. You should find what you need there.

Edited by 1FootDan

Those guys are right - check your engine and shaft alignment. It's not hard once you know how. You have to disconnect the shaft at the coupling and then use a feeler gauge to see if the gap is equal all the way around - turning the shaft by hand. The harder part is moving the engine until it is aligned....you gotta use a crowbar after you loosen up all the engine mounts Crazy.gif

However, before you go to all that trouble, I would carefully inspect your propeller for any damage. I know you said it was new, but it's pretty easy to ding up a prop without ever feeling anything. And if you have 2 college age sons who take the boat out (as do I), then it happens about once every 2 months!!! Mad.gif

Not every Nautique is silky smooth. I have an 05 196 with the exact same problem. Skisix and I are going to check the alignment tomorrow. Hopefully that's it. I suggest you also pull and reseat the prop to eliminate that variable--that's what I plan. If those things don't do it, then pull the shaft and replace the strut bearing and check the straightness of the shaft. At least these are the things I'm going to do. If none of these are the culprit, call Bill Weeks at Acme. He'll ship you a new prop to try. If its not the prop, you can always return it for a full refund. These newer boats should not vibrate.

Edited by SGY

Thanks folks! I will check out the alignment this weekend--and will have a crowbar handy just in case we need to slide the engine around. I take it that to get the shaft back into alignment, you loosen the engine mounting bolts and jostle it around until the same gap exists all the way around the coupling. The specs call for .008" of gap in the coupling--and I assume you take the bolts out of the coupling to measure that, get the engine situated to get the gap correct and then tighten the coupling back together and re-torque the engine mount bolts...somebody yell if this is not the way to do it! I have looked for the procedure but can't find it written down anywhere...

I personally would remove and replace the prop again. If the key happens to be a small key (shorter than the keyway) it could be the the key has slid to one end or the other causing a slight imbalance. Three blade propellers are particularly secptable to this.

Just a thought.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Depending on how many hours and what type of water the boat was used in, the prop shaft strut bushings and/or the shaft itself may be worn. 350 hours in Sacramento Delta water with moderate silt will wear out the strut bushings. Check for minute lateral wobble at the prop.

and I assume you take the bolts out of the coupling to measure that, get the engine situated to get the gap correct and then tighten the coupling back together and re-torque the engine mount bolts...somebody yell if this is not the way to do it!

If you need alignment...

You should get the alignment correct with the engine mounts torqued down first, then recheck alignment and then connect the coupling last. :)

Looked at the prop today--it had the slightest bit of wiggle in it on the shaft so I gave it another quarter turn with the wrench--vibration is gone. It is amazing what that bit of interlerance will cause in the drive train...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Looked at the prop today--it had the slightest bit of wiggle in it on the shaft so I gave it another quarter turn with the wrench--vibration is gone. It is amazing what that bit of interlerance will cause in the drive train...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

"interlerance" Huh?