Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How "Hot" Should My Heater Be?

I'm barely getting any heat out of my heater on my 05' VLX - blows well but is barely above air temp. My dealer says "they don't really work anyway" but that sounds like a lazy-a** response.

For those of you with a heater, how warm should the air be?

Thanks!

Edited by Airborn
Welcome to the site. Your dealer is full of it with that response, it should be nice & toasty. Are you getting that just at idle or all the time? How does your engine temp look?

Thanks - I thought it should be very warm. I'm getting no heat when I'm at 160!

What about idle vs. cruising speeds? Even with the low-rpm fix, all of my inboards have been luke-warm at idle, but warm right up when you give it a little gas.

Nope, it's cool all the time. I think I'll verify that there is warm water flow from the engine.

By the way, what is the low-rpm fix??

The low rpm fix is something that allows the heater to blow relatively warm air even at idle. My boats have been cold at idle before the fix & luke warm afterward - it is an improvement, but it's still nothing like it is when you give it just a little gas (even as little as speeding up to around 5 mph is enough to make a huge difference, it's nice & warm). Definitely check the flow. Are you the first owner on the boat? Have you lost/shredded an impeller? If so, there could be debris from that in there, or it could just be lake debris.

The low rpm fix is something that allows the heater to blow relatively warm air even at idle. My boats have been cold at idle before the fix & luke warm afterward - it is an improvement, but it's still nothing like it is when you give it just a little gas (even as little as speeding up to around 5 mph is enough to make a huge difference, it's nice & warm). Definitely check the flow. Are you the first owner on the boat? Have you lost/shredded an impeller? If so, there could be debris from that in there, or it could just be lake debris.

Original owner and it's always been cool. The impeller is like new, I removed it over winter and just put it back in a few weeks ago. I'll start with validating the flow. Thanks again.

So I still don't know that the "fix" is that you are referring to. How did you get it to blow warmer at idle?

Here's a discussion that talks about it:

Link

Basically, it's a y-pipe that you add to the raw water pickup line & then re-route one of the heater hoses to the y that comes off of the pipe. A lot of boats that have come from the factory since '04 already have this on it, so yours may or may not have it. Mine does, it's after the impeller but before the tranny cooler.

If you have the low RPM after the impeller...it may be the cause of the poor heat.

You need to remove the Y or move in in front of the impeller.

I had the same problem, and it was lake weeds...my dealer says it is a common problem and my heater is toasty now!

On an 05 my bet is the Y-fitting is on the pressure side of the raw water pump....

Peter.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Same problem here with the weeds. In the summer I pull the transmission cooler and clean the screen about twice a week. The heater goes from cool to toasty warm.