Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder Problem?

Hey there! I'm new to the board having just purchased my first Malibu about a month ago. (First inboard too!)

Anyhow, the problem I'm having is that when going in reverse, the rudder goes to a full turn when the wheel is moved there, but then it will continue to travel past that point to where the rudder is pointing backwards, and unfortunately, contacting the prop. When I move the rudder by hand, it will stop where it is supposed to, but with a little more force, it will continue its rotation to a full backwards position. The mounting assembly of the rudder appears to be fine. Any ideas?

One more question for the noob, what do I have to do to remove my now dented prop? Tools needed, etc.?

Thanks,

Eric

Not sure about your rudder problem.

For the prop, take the cotter pin out and take the prop nut off. See if the prop comes off. If it doesn't, try giving the prop a whack with a rubber mallet. If that doesn't work, you'll need a prop puller(looks something like a "C" clamp). Most props require a prop puller to get off.

Welcome to the site!!!

You will likely need a puller to get your prop off. When you do remove the prop, don't take the prop nut all of the way off of the shaft. That way when the puller breaks the prop loose the prop won't come off of the shaft and hit the floor or you.

As for the rudder, that is a good question. Surely someone here will have some help for you.

Oh, by the way. If this is your first inboard don't expect the boat to go any direction but to the right in reverse.

I once had the key come out of the rudder shaft/rudder arm assembly. The arm was tight enough that the boat still turned fine, but if enough force was applied, it would rotate on the shaft.

I'll check tonight when I get home to see if that key could be the problem. The boat turns and tracks fine, but the rudder will rotate past its "maximum" position if enough force is applied. How exactly does one get to the rudder key? Do I have to remove the whole rudder assembly?

Edited by Esco
I'll check tonight when I get home to see if that key could be the problem. The boat turns and tracks fine, but the rudder will rotate past its "maximum" position if enough force is applied. How exactly does one get to the rudder key? Do I have to remove the whole rudder assembly?

On my Echelon, I just pulled out the back seat base and lifted the back. Since you have one of the malibu mistake boats with the engine backwards and in the back of the boat, I dont know.

Okay, I had a chance to investigate further tonight, and its not the key that aligns the rudder. What's happening is that when the steering cable is at its full retracted position and more force is placed against the rudder, the sleeve that the cable mounts to is flexing. This allows the rudder arm to turn even further around. So far I don't see any way to stop this from happening except to keep the rudder from being fully turned in reverse. If anyone has any feedback on how to keep that sleeve more rigid, I'm all for the advice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice so far.

I like the "mistake" boat comment. Malibu's quality must be slipping as I've seen numerous "backward" engine boats lately. Biggrin.gif

What is happening is that the 4 blade prop and the V-drive has a tremendous amount of "suction" to it when throttle is applied agressively and the wheel is not held, and if the rudder is more than say 45 degrees it will suck it "over-center" and into the prop. Part of the problem is the large barn door we use as a rudder.

Older boats such as your 1998 typically did not have this issue provided the steering cable was adjusted properly (turned both ways equal distance), but newer boats have a "rudder stop" that is a hard stop to ensure this does not happen.

I would reccomend that you ask your dealer to order you a "rudder stop bracket" from Malibu. If you have a problem locating the part let me know and I'll make a call for you. This bracket bolts onto the exiting rudder housing bolts and prevents the rudder from overturning.

Hope that helps.

In the meantime, make sure to keep your rudder centered when appling hard reverse throttle.

Peter.