Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow vehicle

pknappe

The ram with the 8 speed trans was the winner in the motor trend comparison.

I thought the Chevy Colorado was the truck of the year for 2015?

Anyway, even the little 2.7 eco can outperform the the 3.0 ram towing. Would hate to see the difference when running the 3.5 eco. Just don't understand the 1/2 ton diesel strategy unless diesel fuel becomes allot cheaper. You can get a 2.7 eco, out tow the ram, spend less in overall fuel / maintenance cost with equal reliability.

• Like 2

I too struggle with the idea of a diesel in a 1/2 ton. With the cost of diesel fuel being as high as it is, and the ability to get a 1/2 ton gasser than can tug 11,000+ pounds, I can't understand why you wouldn't get the gasser. I'd love a diesel in a 3/4 ton but I can't justify it. Well.....I can justify it but the economics of it are senseless because I have no need for it. Compound that by the fact that the towing capacity is only 10% greater, the value proposition, for me anyway, is simply not there.

Ya understand Ford's 11k tow rating is still not SAE rated. So compared to Toyota, Nissan and Chevy that have adapted SAE, just under 10k ratings Max... Subtract approx 1500lbs from Ford's. Funny, as Ford was who pushed to enforce and helped write the SAE ratings... We're supposed to adopt them by 2015 at the latest.... Somehow still haven't for 2015.

Suggests that the 700lb drop in body weight had an adverse affect on some of the tow scenarios for the new F150.

Good points, nyryan. I'm not sure the 700lb weight reduction would affect towing significantly. The weight loss was all in the body, not in the chassis as I understand it. I would think any negative affect would be nominal.

Good points, nyryan. I'm not sure the 700lb weight reduction would affect towing significantly. The weight loss was all in the body, not in the chassis as I understand it. I would think any negative affect would be nominal.

From what I understand, one of the tow scenarios is an alternating vibrating suspension challenge while under Max load... To replicate a series of bad potholes while braking, on a downhill curve, on a wet surface with 10k in tow.

The general consensus is that the SAE standards are very very tough. So if the truck rates 9,XXXlbs per SAE, it truly can do it safely in most conditions. Chevy, Toyota for example all took 1500-2000lb reductions in max tow ratings when they went to SAE ratings.

Seriously, what the hell is in the gas and diesel fuel in Idaho??? The old 5.7 SBC can plane up 10,000 pounds with the 1235 prop at 7000 ft elevation in 10 seconds and the much less powerful (on paper) eco diesel can eat up an eco boost towing. :lol:

I still think you don't exist, you are quite simply Ford promotional software with AI made to troll the forums and spew your pro-Ford propaganda.

Just goes to show life is better here. Hunting, skiing, fishing, rafting, hiking, surfing, boating, kayaking, mountain biking, climbing, mountaineering less than 15 minutes from the major metropolitan area. Blows your state and your gas out of the water. :rofl:

Edited by saidainc
  • Like 3

The ecoboost 3.5l was/is one of the best 1/2 ton tow rigs I have ever owned or driven. It flat hauls a** unloaded and is a kick to drive.

I spend a lot of time around trucks , and currently have a 6.7 diesel F350. I would gladly go right back to another 1/2 ton if the opertunity arises if that tells you anything . The 6.7 is no slouch either.

• Like 3

Test drive them all. I was shopping for a truck last year and I really wanted to love the ecoboost. After test driving all the half tons I liked the tundra crew max the best. I ended up with a 3/4 diesel I basically stole. Yes it is overkill, but I will never wish I had more truck.

2016 Tundra website says their truck will have best in class for all the above including towing capacity and fuel consumption.

Apparently they are making all their powertrain changes next year

Edited by saidainc

2016 Tundra website says their truck will have best in class for all the above including towing capacity and fuel consumption

Isn't fuel consumption what makes a Tundra a Tundra?

Anyone see yet how insurance rates will be affected with the aluminum F150s?

From the hazards associated with aluminum fires, to the x2-x5 costs for general body repairs on aluminum.... All those wonderful expenses will be passed straight on to customers via insurance premiums whether you make claims or not.

+1 for the Ecoboost. It tows the 23 LSV with ease. We also had a Yukon XL Denali (6.2L V8 AWD), and I much preferred the F150 for towing the boat.

One more thing about the Eco... It crushes in the hills.

20140507_171944_zpszpgjmmr5.jpg

Is yours a Platinum? Level? Any other mods? Gas mileage with those tires? Hijack off...

I do think that the weight of the tow vehicle compared to the weight of what it is towing is a factor in some scenarios

Is yours a Platinum? Level? Any other mods? Gas mileage with those tires? Hijack off...

Mine is a '13 Limited (debadged). It's basically the same as the Platinum, only it comes with polished 22's instead of 20's and has a higher grade leather interior (red in my case). Also, there's no aluminum panel on the tailgate.

2.5" level kit / 1" rear block lift

20" Fuel Mavericks

34" Goodyear Duratracs

MPGs are 14-15 but we do lots of around town and it's got 3.73's

3/4" rake. Truck sits perfectly level with boat hooked up.

Here's what it looked like stock. I bought the Limited over the Plat because I fell in live with the interior and I like driving stuff that not everybody else has.

7208831675x640_zpsc4cb829f.jpg

7208831585x640_zps54e131e2.jpg

7208832081x640_zps47c254a0.jpg

7208832303x640_zpsa8a7b457.jpg

Edited by IXFE

Anyone see yet how insurance rates will be affected with the aluminum F150s?

From the hazards associated with aluminum fires, to the x2-x5 costs for general body repairs on aluminum.... All those wonderful expenses will be passed straight on to customers via insurance premiums whether you make claims or not.

You do realize that aluminum body panels are not revolutionary? For a truck , yes, but in the automotive world, they have been around for quite some time.

It's just another practical use of an existing technology. As popular as the 150 has been and will be , it will common place shortly and other manufactures will follow suit.

They said the same things when ABS and SRS systems made their way into rigs in the 90's .

• Like 4

I'm tracking... But we both know insurance companies don't need much of an excuse to jack rates and how many Ford dealerships and other body shops have specialty techs ready for AL repairs?

They will be more pricey.

Love the whore house red interior......

Not exactly what I was thinking when I bought it...

I just liked how it matched the boat and my kid's high school colors. I live in a black/red town.

But I'll go with whore house... That makes me a PIMP! ;)

• Like 3

Innovation typically costs more in any realm. If you use that train of thought that we should just stick with what works, we would still be driving around, four barrels a blazing.

Ask your self this..... What DOESN'T cost more lately? Gas is about the only thing I can think of. I'm sure rates will jump a touch.....but they always tend to anyways.

As far as tech training, it's the same game just differnt procedures, but nothing grossly differnt. Bondo still sticks, and pop cans can still be welded. Most Ford stores have already had the basics covered. Training was available early this year. Repair tools and procedures are already readily available and already sold through ford tooling division or Rotunda. I don't foresee it to be a major undertaking to get body repairs.

And on the statement about fires, you do know that fiberglass is MUCH more flammable than aluminum right?

Edited by Bawshogg

What is funny is the OP asked about and F150 Eco and there are a ton of REAL WORLD users right here on the forum that use this truck and rave about it. The majority of those that oppose don't have one or use consumer reports to refute statements.

As an educated consumer I can surely read between the lines and know this is how all "tow vehicle threads" go but it is funny. If I was searching "best 1/2 ton tow vehicle" and came across this thread, I would buy the Ford Eco in a second.

I still think you don't exist, you are quite simply Ford promotional software with AI made to troll the forums and spew your pro-Ford propaganda.

Just goes to show life is better here. Hunting, skiing, fishing, rafting, hiking, surfing, boating, kayaking, mountain biking, climbing, mountaineering less than 15 minutes from the major metropolitan area. Blows your state and your gas out of the water. :rofl:

Got to admit, Idaho is a great state. I mean Napoleon Dynamite is from there!!

Napoleon-Dynamite.jpg

• Like 3

Mine is a '13 Limited (debadged). It's basically the same as the Platinum, only it comes with polished 22's instead of 20's and has a higher grade leather interior (red in my case). Also, there's no aluminum panel on the tailgate.

2.5" level kit / 1" rear block lift

20" Fuel Mavericks

34" Goodyear Duratracs

MPGs are 14-15 but we do lots of around town and it's got 3.73's

3/4" rake. Truck sits perfectly level with boat hooked up.

Here's what it looked like stock. I bought the Limited over the Plat because I fell in live with the interior and I like driving stuff that not everybody else has.

7208831675x640_zpsc4cb829f.jpg

7208831585x640_zps54e131e2.jpg

7208832081x640_zps47c254a0.jpg

7208832303x640_zpsa8a7b457.jpg

Guy from work has the same truck. that red leather looks good!

Not exactly what I was thinking when I bought it...

I just liked how it matched the boat and my kid's high school colors. I live in a black/red town.

But I'll go with whore house... That makes me a PIMP! ;)

I love that truck!! PIMP.

Bowmen?

Edited by isellacuras