Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 LSV 23'

To Bit Al

Can I chat with someone who owns a 2000 LSV? I'm looking to buy a used boat and this one looks really nice. I have never owned a wakeboard boat but my daughter is starting to enjoy this sport. So we will use the boat on the Colorado river and I want to get an idea of how this boat rides. Some people have told me that the 23' is a rough ride in choppy water?? I have heard that this model has a "diamond" hull and it is better for skiing vs. wakeboarding. Don't know what the "diamond" hull is vs. a wakesetter LVX non-diamond hull. I really like the seating on the 23' and my daughter likes the idea of the table too! Please give me feedback if this is a good boat! Thanks.

Welcome to the Crew! I moved your post to the appropriate location to make it more visible.

I'm sure you'll hear from some LSV owners shortly...if you have any questions about a 2000 Sunsetter LXi I'll be happy to help! :)

I have a 02 Wakesetter LSV, and I love it. If you check out the tech page (link at top) you'll see that the 02 and 00 are very similar. The dash is a little different, and there may be some other ballast differences that I'm not familar with, but ultimatly, they are the same basic boat

It would be one of the smoothest boats from malibu you can ride in from that era - sure it is a little bumpy in choppy water, but most boat are.

It has a good balance of nice room & layout and yet not too big. If you regularly haul more than 5 or 6 folks, the 23 is probably a better choice than the VLX, which is also a nice boat.

Any other spcifics that we can help you with?

Assuming you are comparing the LSV in choppy water to a more general purpose boat, it will give a rougher ride. It seems like the intent of the LSV is to create great wake on smooth water for wakeboarding. To do this, you must sacrafice things in other areas. Choppy water ride is one of them. A deep V hull can cut thru the chop a lot better but it would not give you the wake that boarders like.

If you use a wedge and add ballast, the LSV will get thru the chop much smoother but at a slower speed compared to a deep V.

No free lunch here!

Can I chat with someone who owns a 2000 LSV? I'm looking to buy a used boat and this one looks really nice. I have never owned a wakeboard boat but my daughter is starting to enjoy this sport. So we will use the boat on the Colorado river and I want to get an idea of how this boat rides. Some people have told me that the 23' is a rough ride in choppy water?? I have heard that this model has a "diamond" hull and it is better for skiing vs. wakeboarding. Don't know what the "diamond" hull is vs. a wakesetter LVX non-diamond hull. I really like the seating on the 23' and my daughter likes the idea of the table too! Please give me feedback if this is a good boat! Thanks.

Welcome to the site! Often times our own ideas of what a good ride or a good wake is are influenced by what we're used to. If you could give us an idea of what boat you're coming from (whether it's one that you've owned or a friend's that you're used to being on), that may help to shape the advice & opinions that are given to you.

Incidentally, the Diamond hull was developed for skiers. Often called a "lifting hull" it is designed to ride a little higher in the water than its Wake equivalent, producing smaller, softer wakes comparatively. Now through those years IIRC the LSV is only available on the Diamond hull (up through '03, big changes came on the 23' boats in '04), so you really don't have a good comparison as to what the Wake hull on that boat would be like. That just simplifies things for you if you're sold on the 23'. :)

Welcome to the site! Often times our own ideas of what a good ride or a good wake is are influenced by what we're used to. If you could give us an idea of what boat you're coming from (whether it's one that you've owned or a friend's that you're used to being on), that may help to shape the advice & opinions that are given to you.

Incidentally, the Diamond hull was developed for skiers. Often called a "lifting hull" it is designed to ride a little higher in the water than its Wake equivalent, producing smaller, softer wakes comparatively. Now through those years IIRC the LSV is only available on the Diamond hull (up through '03, big changes came on the 23' boats in '04), so you really don't have a good comparison as to what the Wake hull on that boat would be like. That just simplifies things for you if you're sold on the 23'. :)

Our current boat is a jet boat 19' so we are doing something totally different. Time to get a newer boat and into the wakeboard thing totally. The 23' LSV that we are looking to buy doesn't have any ballast. Guess ballast is a must to get a good wake? Is it a pain and expensive to have it installed aftermarket? Thanks

"Getting a good wake" is certainly subjective. I wouldn't say that it's mandatory for wakeboarding - I like the stock wake with no ballast, no wedge on our VLX a lot, but my husband likes all of the stock tanks loaded down. Personal preference. To surf, you almost certainly will need ballast for that. Installing a system can get expensive if you have someone else do it. Heck, Wakeside sells complete turnkey systems, but they aren't cheap (I think that they start at around $1500). There's always DIY & that's certainly cheaper, but more of a pain to get it working right & looking good. Of course, if you don't plumb it in & are satisfied with putting pumps over the side, that's much easier to do. There are a few people on the site that have installed systems that are not hard plumbed in, but pretty easy to use & set up because they went sort of half way with it. Pretty cheap & easy to go that way.

I've got a buddy with an '01 LSV. He bought it after having a Bayliner for years & loves it. It does everything well for his family that they like to do.

Demo the boat, try out the wake & see what you think. If it's got the things on it that you want & you're happy with the deal that you can get, don't be afraid to pull the trigger. And the good folks here are always ready to offer their opinion if you have more questions. :)

I have an '01 and I don't have any ballast yet. The wake is plenty big to learn on and aftermarket ballast is a reasonable DIY project (see many posts on this board about it) later if you want. It would be better if the boat had the wedge (a small pivoting hydrofoil below the swim platform) and a few friends along for the ride. I had 9 people on board at a Havasu trip last year and the wake was enormous. With just the wife and our small son on board it's definitely smaller but still big enough to do tricks on.

As far as the choppy water goes, our lake gets routinely nasty and I've been fairly pleased with the ride. You won't want anyone in the bow but the cabin area is tolerable. The boat acts like it picks the nose out of the water at moderate speeds (which I usually go through the chop) so I think if you could add some ballast to the nose it would further smooth out the ride since you'd be sinking the front v-section of the hull into the water more.

We've been really pleased with our boat so far and wouldn't trade it for anything (well, okay, maybe an '06 with a power wedge but hey, I paid less than half of new for my boat!!).

Have fun!

-B

I certainly enjoy my 2000 LSV. I had a '97 VLX before it, which was fine too. The LSV rides alot better in the chop than the VLX did. The Diamond hull, as stated before is designed to "minimize" the wake & it seems to work as designed - the LSV has a pretty small wake for a 23' at speeds over 30 mph. This subject has been argued on this & other sites, but my opinion (which is correct by the way ;) ) is that the "lifting chines" in the hull do nothing at 11 mph surfing speeds as the boat is plowing through the water & do very little at wakeboarding speeds to minimize the wake. The boat will have plenty of wake to board without ballast, but you will need to recruit 10 or so of your friends to have a good surf party. Try it & then buy it, you won't regret it. Biggrin.gif

I certainly enjoy my 2000 LSV. I had a '97 VLX before it, which was fine too. The LSV rides alot better in the chop than the VLX did. The Diamond hull, as stated before is designed to "minimize" the wake & it seems to work as designed - the LSV has a pretty small wake for a 23' at speeds over 30 mph. This subject has been argued on this & other sites, but my opinion (which is correct by the way ;) ) is that the "lifting chines" in the hull do nothing at 11 mph surfing speeds as the boat is plowing through the water & do very little at wakeboarding speeds to minimize the wake. The boat will have plenty of wake to board without ballast, but you will need to recruit 10 or so of your friends to have a good surf party. Try it & then buy it, you won't regret it. Biggrin.gif

Yes.gif

We have the diamond hull on our 06 sunsetter lxi. I'll just say this. Until I become a competition wakeboarder... ok well at least really really good, it's going to be more than enough wake for me to handle. Maybe in 2-3 years, when your'e kids are really good, you might want to upgrade, add ballast. Until then, if this boat is a great deal, I'd think you will be very pleased.

Edited by GoldschlagerVT

Yes.gif

Thanks all for your feedback. I feel so much more comfortable with hearing your comments about ballast and all. I was afraid that I would have to add it. Now it looks like we should be find! You guys are great! ;)