Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

TeakGuard

Well, I've got a new project. My TeakGuard kit just arrived (weather finally warmed up enough that AllGuard could send it).

So, time to pull the swim platform apart and get to work. M'dude convinced me that I really NEED to take the entire platform apart to make sure it's fully cleaned before applying the TeakGuard. Should be entertaining (piece A goes into B and then C ... or was that D?).

Plus I have my transom saver kit to prep and install. I'll take before, during and after pics so people can see the difference. From what I've heard this stuff is great and I'm looking forward to the low maintenance aspect. The back end of the 'bu will be looking much better this summer!

Granted I finally made the switch to the dark side (fiberglass platform), but always loved a shiny clean teak platform. Let's see it!

JZ

Man I have serious reservations about you.....turn to a VD then composite swim platform Surprised.gif

Granted I finally made the switch to the dark side (fiberglass platform), but always loved a shiny clean teak platform. Let's see it!

JZ

Man I have serious reservations about you.....turn to a VD then composite swim platform Surprised.gif

JZ

It's hard enough having a Malibu in brackish water! Imagine having a teak platform in brackish water, too!

JZ

I also got my Teakguard kit from All Guard last week. I really appreciate that the kit comes complete with all of the brushes, applicators, solutions, and bronze wool that you need for the project. Great instructions and I think reasonably priced at $30 shipped. I've gotten as far as cleaning and stripping the deck. Mine was in pretty bad shape, so I had to go over it two or three times before all of the old gunk was gone. It already looks better even without the Teakguard on it yet. I'm letting it dry out completely (in the basement since it's raining here) and will hopefully get to it to finish in a couple of days. I have to work for a while now.

I'll be very interested to see how it stands up to being moored in the Willamette for the season. One of my Nautique buddies is also interested as his boat sits right near mine and he can't keep his platform looking nice no matter how often he oils it.

i did a super prep. and let the teak dry half the winter before applying teak guard. teak guard went on really nice. looked too nice to mount on the boat. looked like furniture. not impressed with the way it is holding up. everyone is pretty careful lots of the teak guard gets scraped off each time someone puts on a ski and manages to drop in. not good.

I used Teak Guard last year and was happy with the results. It did wear in a few spots but the touch up looks great and you can not tell. I wonder if sitting half the winter if oil came to the top again. Maybe it needs to be re-cleaned and applied again. I would call and ask Teak Guard. They were extremely helpful when I purchased mine.

Kelly

Edited by Kellyb
I used Teak Guard last year and was happy with the results.  It did wear in a few spots but the touch up looks great and you can not tell.  I wonder if sitting half the winter if oil came to the top again.  Maybe it needs to be re-cleaned and applied again.  I would call and ask Teak Guard.  They were extremely helpful when I purchased mine.

Kelly

I'd wonder about that too as regards letting it sit so long unfinished. They make a big point about not waiting too long between cleaning and coats so as not to let mold and such get back into the wood. I would give them a call, as I found them to be very helpful.

I certainly hope that my finish lasts well. I have high expectations for it.

i did a super prep. and let the teak dry half the winter before applying teak guard.  teak guard went on really nice.  looked too nice to mount on the boat.  looked like furniture.  not impressed with the way it is holding up.  everyone is pretty careful lots of the teak guard gets scraped off each time someone puts on a ski and manages to drop in.  not good.

If you will touch it up fairly soon after you notice the scratch, you will not be able to tell where it happened. Otherwise, you might have a problem with the teak getting contaminated again before you refinish the scratch.

Daniel

I have always liked the look of teak but I think next time it will be fiberglass. My dealer told me that 1 in 20 boats are orders with teak these days.

Kelly

I have always liked the look of teak but I think next time it will be fiberglass.  My dealer told me that 1 in 20 boats are orders with teak these days.

Kelly

Wow, I new the numbers were changing pretty good, but I never suspected it was by that much of a margin.

Wow, I new the numbers were changing pretty good, but I never suspected it was by that much of a margin.

This is SoCal where the majority of the boats are wakeboard boats. Not sure what impact that has.

Kelly

My dealer told me that 1 in 20 boats are orders with teak these days.

Kelly

19 out of 20 people with poor taste doesn't particularly surprise me Tongue.gif

and statistics can be thrown around by salespeople pretty loosely. Like George Carlin says, " 4 out of 5 people suffer from occasional diarrhea, does that mean 1 out of 5 enjoys it?"

and I guaranty that tvano's problem stems from waiting too long. After cleaning, the oil will continue to come to the surface, and should be TeakGuarded immediately after drying, no later than overnight. But keep those goobers off your platform if they can't take proper care of fine furniture, and while you're at it, don't let them sit on the upholstery or get on the carpet, either. Fingerwag.gif

ohhh, it's John...yeah, the John I. did have me wondering. I should have remembered the location. All former members of the communist state now known as darksiderides should either stick to their old names (after all, the only thing Jason did not yank out from under us) or identify themselves as the "the MBOer formerly known as ________".

ohhh, it's John...yeah, the John I. did have me wondering. I should have remembered the location. All former members of the communist state now known as darksiderides should either stick to their old names (after all, the only thing Jason did not yank out from under us) or identify themselves as the "the MBOer formerly known as ________".

Your not bitter are you Hank? :)

ur right. i forgot about that not letting it set thing. i used to use teak oil. i would clean the wood then let it dry half the winter then oil it.

i will clean it and recoat and see how it holds up.

thanks for the reminder.

I ran into something besides oil on the platform and had to use some paint stripper first. I think I'm back to a point where I can continue with the TeakGuard cleaner but want to make sure before I waste it.