Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu interior work recommendation.

Ronnie

On 7/12/2019 at 7:31 AM, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Ok thanks.  If you can find anything that would be great.  Even if you remember the road it was on I’ll try to look it up.  Was it possibly off Harrisburg Pike just north of Grove City?  I’m having a hard time finding a decent shop in central Ohio that doesn’t want 8k plus to redo the interior. 

Ever find the place in Ohio?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 11:58 PM, RedWakesetterVLX said:

I did not. 

There's a place in the Portage Lakes area called Dougs that has a good reputation. I did see a place in Tennessee called Britton Stitchin Custom Upholstery that has a lot of Malibu experience. I've never worked with either of them. Here's a link to the one in Tn. 

Tn. Malibu interiors

Steve B.

12 hours ago, Steve B. said:

There's a place in the Portage Lakes area called Dougs that has a good reputation. I did see a place in Tennessee called Britton Stitchin Custom Upholstery that has a lot of Malibu experience. I've never worked with either of them. Here's a link to the one in Tn. 

Tn. Malibu interiors

Steve B.

Doug quoted me right around $8k back in 2017 for factory match interior vinyl on my VLX. I’ve heard mixed reviews as well.  Needless to say I didn’t move forward with it. 

12 hours ago, wdr said:

I have seen the work from Viper Customs in the Maryville, TN area on my buddies X23 and was impressed. I have been told the owner is a former MC guy who freelances now.

I had my 03 completely redone by Viper Customs and have been happy with the work. Very professional shop and got the boat back to me in the quoted timeframe though they are very busy and stay booked solid in the off season.

49828099396_15ef1d5613_b.jpg49828099291_65d7c1fa86_b.jpg

Edited by tbullard
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, tbullard said:

I had my 03 completely redone by Viper Customs and have been happy with the work. Very professional shop and got the boat back to me in the quoted timeframe though they are very busy and stay booked solid in the off season.

49828099396_15ef1d5613_b.jpg49828099291_65d7c1fa86_b.jpg

I’ve said this before I think that looks great! If you don’t mind...ballpark of cost? Thanks 

1 hour ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

I’ve said this before I think that looks great! If you don’t mind...ballpark of cost? Thanks 

It was right around $5K for the vinyl. We also had to dye the dash black as it was tan and replaced the carpet with woven vinyl which added to the project.

35 minutes ago, tbullard said:

It was right around $5K for the vinyl. We also had to dye the dash black as it was tan and replaced the carpet with woven vinyl which added to the project.

That is a great price!!

8 minutes ago, tbullard said:

I may have not said that correctly after rereading it. The vinyl alone was $5k the dash and flooring was extra.

Well if it was vinyl only (installed) it is still a great price.

• Like 2
On 12/16/2020 at 1:44 AM, RedWakesetterVLX said:

Doug quoted me right around $8k back in 2017 for factory match interior vinyl on my VLX. I’ve heard mixed reviews as well.  Needless to say I didn’t move forward with it. 

Very similar experience here.  Expensive.  I live in North Canton, so local is great.  I plan to visit Berlin boat covers.  They have a good reputation and will let you match your vinyl before they begin.   At least I will be able to see if they can match it or not.   

3 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Very similar experience here.  Expensive.  I live in North Canton, so local is great.  I plan to visit Berlin boat covers.  They have a good reputation and will let you match your vinyl before they begin.   At least I will be able to see if they can match it or not.   

I had Chuck’s boat covers in Akron do my boat cover and speaker covers.  He was good to work with and made some custom stuff for me.  He made a custom side skirt cover, top cover speaker covers all from black sunbrella.  He doesn’t do vinyl just covers.  My only complaint is the design around the Illusion X tower is ok at best but everything else was good. 

Chuck recommended Bennies for vinyl over Doug (Doug is his brother too I later learned from Bennie)  so I took my back seat rest and 2 seats to Bennies.  He matched the colors really well and the quality of work was good.  Negatives were it took him about 6 weeks to do as he kept making excuses on his vendor sending the wrong product.  He then went on vacation the week they were promised to be done and couldn’t be contacted.  I wasted a trip up the Akron (came from Columbus) to pick up and they weren’t finished.  He took off some money but I’d never go back to him or recommend.  He claimed he used OEM quality vinyl but it appears to be much less durable and tends to scratch and nick easier.  

9 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Dont want to hijack the thread, us NE Ohio folks should do a get together when it warms up.

Steve B.

I'd be down for that... even though I am a bit further away.

2 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Im down...I work in Ravenna, live in North Canton and our house and boats are at Mohawk.

I’m in Cbus but would do Salt Fork

1 hour ago, WeekdayBoater said:

How do you like that woven floor?

It's great. The carpet would get wet and stayed that way for several days after a weekend on the lake. The woven floor is vinyl so the water doesn't soak in and it dries quickly or you can towel it off if needed. Gatorstep or like would be nice but the floor under the carpet is not finished so the process to install that is much more involved.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, tbullard said:

It's great. The carpet would get wet and stayed that way for several days after a weekend on the lake. The woven floor is vinyl so the water doesn't soak in and it dries quickly or you can towel it off if needed. Gatorstep or like would be nice but the floor under the carpet is not finished so the process to install that is much more involved.

Interesting..... What product you use?  What prep work and total cost?