Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pump failure

BuggsIsland06vride

My 06' V-Ride with 16 hours on it had the port side rear ballast pump fail yesterday with the tank full of water. The fill pump was fine but the drain pump kept popping the breaker. So the ride was quite lopsided for the ride home until I could get to the hose off the next day, and drain the water out of it. I switched the wires from that switch to the next one and the same thing happens so the pump must be bad. My dealer is 3 hours away so I took it off myself and put power to it, and nothing happens. Has any body else had problems with the 06' pumps? I am going to call the dealer this morning and send the pump to him, and have him send me a new pump. I hate being so far from the dealer because I am not going to drive 3 hours one way to have something as small as this worked on. At the same time its crappy that I have to spend my time to do it myself on a holiday weekend when I should be enjoying my ride!!

if iots easy to reach the pump you could've just let it empty into the bilge and let the bilge pump move it out

if iots easy to reach the pump you could've just let it empty into the bilge and let the bilge pump move it out

The pump was wedged between the back of the boat and the tank. No way to get the hose off to do that except for almost taking the tank out. I did take the hose off from the drain hole in the side of the boat and got it sipfined out before I did any moving of the tank. I did some looking on the net and found out that the pumps are only a $30.00 part to replace. This morning sitting here with the pump in my hand I took the thing apart and it was just stuck with some kind of trash in it. I will still have it replaced because if it locked up only after this many hours, it will do it again!

With so many pumps on the boats these days one of them is bound to fail at some point. I had a pump die on me (smelled melting platic and then it tripped the breaker) but fortunately it was the fill pump and not the drain. Luckily I had a spare pump on the boat that I use to fill extra fat sacs so I screwed that one, switched the wires and hoses and was good to go.

Have you tried it again to see if it works after removing the trash? That happens sometimes, something will jam it up.

Tracie,

Yes i did put power to the pump this morning just after I put it together, and it runs fine. What ever was in it had it stuck solid, and I really had to twist it hard. Finally it broke loose. I hate to put that one back in because of the time it took me to get it out. If it happens often I would not want to have to do this procedure 5 times a year. So, you are saying that if it is running it is OK, and the only way it will stop in the future is if something else gets stuck in it, and that even a new one will have the possability of doing the same? What do you think, should I have the dealer send a new one anyway. I have talked to him already and they are going to send one out to me know matter what I want to do, but it will probably take him two weeks to get it to me because he does not have one at the store. The dealer has been great to me, and I am very mechanically inclined so I don't mind doing some work but don't want to get to extensive.

If he's going to send a new one out, I'd put that one in but keep the other around as a backup. This is something that can most definitely happen with even a brand new pump, it's just the nature of the beast when you're pumping unfiltered lake water like that. With that said, I've never had it happen on any of my boats with either stock ballast systems or pumps that I've thrown over the side. So it may be that you'll go several years without having it happen again. You just never know, but at least you know how to fix it now. :)

If he's going to send a new one out, I'd put that one in but keep the other around as a backup. This is something that can most definitely happen with even a brand new pump, it's just the nature of the beast when you're pumping unfiltered lake water like that. With that said, I've never had it happen on any of my boats with either stock ballast systems or pumps that I've thrown over the side. So it may be that you'll go several years without having it happen again. You just never know, but at least you know how to fix it now. :)

Tracie,

Thanks for the info

The pump was wedged between the back of the boat and the tank. No way to get the hose off to do that except for almost taking the tank out. I did take the hose off from the drain hole in the side of the boat and got it sipfined out before I did any moving of the tank. I did some looking on the net and found out that the pumps are only a $30.00 part to replace. This morning sitting here with the pump in my hand I took the thing apart and it was just stuck with some kind of trash in it. I will still have it replaced because if it locked up only after this many hours, it will do it again!

I had the same thing happen to my right side rear. My dealer is closer so had them deal with the issue. The report was the same as you found.............some trash jammed in the pump. I figured it was from the boat build. They had not seen this before. Dealer just cleaned it out and put the pump back in. Seems to work fine. I was a bit surprised that it didn't show up when the boat was tested. Anyway, glad that was all it was.

I had the same thing happen to my right side rear. My dealer is closer so had them deal with the issue. The report was the same as you found.............some trash jammed in the pump. I figured it was from the boat build. They had not seen this before. Dealer just cleaned it out and put the pump back in. Seems to work fine. I was a bit surprised that it didn't show up when the boat was tested. Anyway, glad that was all it was.

Mine worked fine for about three weeks and then this past weekend with a full tank it would not empty. I thought that what was stuck in it was from the bottom of the tank, but it could have been from the lake also. The inside of the tanks are covered with plastic shavings fro the holes they drilled for the lines in the bottom of them, so I guess this could really happen at any time.