Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Effects of Wakesurfing on the Engine?

Beaver

So....we tryed out wakesurfing for the first time this last weekend. Lot of fun, especially swince the water was to rough to wakeboard. On the same day a guy stopped by that said his dealer (CC) told him to be careful when wakesurfing, because the engine might not be getting enough oil out of the oil pan because the bow is up so high. Does that make sense? The guy I talked to had a CC 197(?) I believe. Is this not a problem with the VLX?

thanks,

Andy

Can't comment on whether the engone gets enough, but in theory, the Vdrives will sit "flatter" (or more flat, for you Mike) than the DD's, because the motor is backwards. Hence, the engine doesn't even get flat until the bow rises. On a 197, first of all, I can't fathom how much weight it would take to make that boat surfable, second, if it has 25 degree bowrise during surfing, then the engine is really at (for exmaple purposes only) 35 degrees. Whereas a VD, the engine would be at a 15 dgeree angle.

sometimes it can be a problem. Just keep an eye on the oil pressure every once in awhile.

I was surfing all weekend behind the 247 without so much as a hiccup

surfed behind my V-ride all weekend with out any problems and my older boat did not ever have any problems in the last 4 years. Maybe that CC driver was wishing to be a BU driver.

surfed behind my V-ride all weekend with out any problems and my older boat did not ever have any problems in the last 4 years. Maybe that CC driver was wishing to be a BU driver.

That goes without saying Biggrin.gif

Can't comment on whether the engone gets enough, but in theory, the Vdrives will sit "flatter" (or more flat, for you Mike) than the DD's, because the motor is backwards. Hence, the engine doesn't even get flat until the bow rises. On a 197, first of all, I can't fathom how much weight it would take to make that boat surfable, second, if it has 25 degree bowrise during surfing, then the engine is really at (for exmaple purposes only) 35 degrees. Whereas a VD, the engine would be at a 15 dgeree angle.

Interesting point, I had never considered that difference between DDs and V-drives.

As for engine problems with wakesurfing, I can report empical evidence from my experience that I have wakesurfed continuously for extended periods of times and the engine still ran like a champ without any issues.

Same pan in a DD vs VD, and yeah you can see it.

Sounds pretty stpuid to me, look at how many IO's run with their bow in the air all day long with no problems, same with running your truck up or down a steep hill.

Chris

To be on the safe side just be sure to fill up the oil to the max level.

@ Beaver

Weatherforecast looks not too bad for the next weekend!

Surprised.gif

I hope we can make it this time!

Aren't most IO's engines mounted pretty much in the horizontal position? So to compare that to a direct drive that is mounted with the rear already tilted down and then tilting it down even more when the bow comes up would not be a valid comparison.