Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tire blown...and where the @#$% is the Spare!!

Moufoo

We had our first problem with our new boat, every day at the lake had been flawless since we bought it in October, but all good things must come to an end. We were traveling down a toll road (southern connector) on the way to lake Keowee, when we stopped at a toll booth and noticed a burnt rubber smell when we rolled down the windows. Sure enough the back left tire had been completely ripped to shreds. Well no big problem right, we'll just put on the spare... which we never had. Its a Sunday mind you, so we must drive an hour out of our way to find a walmart. Turns out that only Walmart Supercenters have tire exchanges, so another hour in the opposite direction to find Supercenter... that doesnt have full sized trailor tires. So we went to the tire kingdom and finally got the tire we needed. Where can i get a spare wheel for a boatmate trailor?

Contact Boatmate customer service (the number is in your owners manual) direct and give them your trailer serial number and they'll hook you up with the proper spare tire/wheel combo....

Also, since you didn't have to change it yourself, and may want to in the future, make sure you have the proper lug nut wrench with you...the wrench for my Toyota does not fit the trailer lugs (trailer is also a Boatmate), so I carry one of those X-shaped wrenches in the boat...

Why would your boatmate use a different lug? What a nightmare. I'd see if you could make the lugs the same.

I'd check with an America's Tires or the like before I called Boatmate. There's got to be a cheaper alternative then ordering directly from them. I saved over $100 buying my spare tire / wheel from America's Tires vs. my dealer.

Fortunately my Expedition lug wrench and jack both work with my trailer. I was using them yesterday actually, one of the steel belts broke in my Carlisle's. Swapped it with my spare.

Why would your boatmate use a different lug? What a nightmare. I'd see if you could make the lugs the same.

I think my Toyota lugs are metric or something....anyway, the lug nut wrench for the truck won't fit the trailer lugs...I just keep the wrench for the trailer in the boat, no big deal.

You could also check with your dealer about a spare for the trailer. My dealer offered to put a spare on the trailer that they had laying around. I didn't need it as I had one from the old boat that was the same size as the new trailer. I originally bought that one at the local Les Schwab ( the local tire store).

We had our first problem with our new boat, every day at the lake had been flawless since we bought it in October, but all good things must come to an end. We were traveling down a toll road (southern connector) on the way to lake Keowee, when we stopped at a toll booth and noticed a burnt rubber smell when we rolled down the windows. Sure enough the back left tire had been completely ripped to shreds. Well no big problem right, we'll just put on the spare... which we never had. Its a Sunday mind you, so we must drive an hour out of our way to find a walmart. Turns out that only Walmart Supercenters have tire exchanges, so another hour in the opposite direction to find Supercenter... that doesnt have full sized trailor tires. So we went to the tire kingdom and finally got the tire we needed. Where can i get a spare wheel for a boatmate trailor?

Hey

I recently purchased a spare Goodyear Marathon tire/rim and a painted to match holder for my boatmate trailer directly from Boatmate. I think the name of the guy I spoke with at Boatmate's parts dept. was Stacy. I don't remember exactly what I paid but it was not that bad. I like that the rim is an exact match and that the spare tire holder is painted to match the trailer. I priced a tire/rim at other places such as West Marine and they were either as much or more expensive.

Good luck

Tim