Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to best clean vinyl interior

Tweeder06Wakesetter

Crew,

I am looking for some direction on how to best clean and bring my interior back to life. It is starting to get the haze to it and 303 protectant is really not doing anything. I need a product and a technique that will get a deep clean. To this point I have used 303 and magic eraser. I found this video online where the guy uses Meguiars Super Degreaser, magic eraser, non-abrasive sponge brush, micro fiber towel, and a brush. The video link is:

Does anyone have experience with the Meguiars Super Degreaser?

Does anyone have a better technique?

Any reputable vinyl cleaner and a good brush. I use Babes, but there are many others out there that will clean vinyl, follow up with a good vinyl conditioner. I have found the main key ingredient is a good vinyl brush to loosen up the dirt and grime.

product_thumb_zps4ce642d2.jpg

Magic eraser is sand paper. Are you using the 303 cleaner or just the protectant? If you are using protectant over dirt you are just sealing the dirt in

As oldjeep, I use the 303 cleaner first, let things dry and then a nice cote of 303 Protectant.

So far so good!

Try this on your vinyl. In a spray bottle put a little bit of vinegar and a little bit of dishwashing soap and then then fill it with warm water. My wife sprayed it on the vinyl of our boat, scrubbed the hell out of it with a soft scrubbing brush, & then rinsed it with water. Talk about night and day difference! Just don't use anything that has bleach in it. It's really hard on the thread in the seams.

And I'll say what others have already said...Stay away from the magic eraser.

I picked up this tip from wakeworld a long time ago. LA's Totally Awesome and a plastic brush. Spray it on, and work it with the brush. There was a whole thread and they did the comparison to much more expensive cleaners even included a spectral analysis and there was nothing in it that would cause harm to the vinyl. You can find it at dollar stores. I have been using it for years.

• Like 3

I've tried almost everything. Latest I'm on is a commercial citrus cleaner available by the gallon that you dilute from the local autodetailers store. It's like 10 bucks and would probably make 10 gallons. Its as good or better than the expensive stuff including exquisite, which had quite the following for a while.

I also use Totally Awesome for those times when I need a deep cleaning. Works like a champ but does concern me a bit especially if I need to use it near any seams/stitching. Otherwise I'll use other less harsh cleaning solutions for periodic cleaning.

Comment on Magic Eraser. I used it years ago on a Supra SSV I had. Worked great however I could definitely see that it removed the shine from the cushion and left it a bit dull afterward. Yes I followed it up with 303 protectant but like many others have stated here, the stuff is abrasive and not a good way to go.

And if all else fails, let mother nature take it out with good ole UV rays. It's pretty amazing how the sun will bleach out of vinyl stains. I have often found if the brush does not get it, it does more harm trying to hammer it with more cleaning solutions, the sun has never failed me yet.

Edited by Fman

+1 on the LA's Totally Awesome.....I used it for 5-6 years every year on my '03 Supra. Never had an issue with it degrading the stitching. Only thing is, it is like every other degreaser out there. You have to rinse it very thoroughly to get it out. Make sure you get it all off. Once you think you have it all rinsed off, rinse again just to be sure. Then follow up with 303 protectant or something similar.

Plus LA's is very cheap.....$1 for a spray bottle.....$3 for a 3/4 gallon jug.

Yes, all seams, fine structures, everything little corner......the heat and pressure just cleans it (it penetrates area's you can normally never clean). Also it makes the vinyl more soft (heat and plastic ....).

Use a brush to get the dirt out and clean immediately with a towel.

ONLY one thing to watch: not too much pressure and don't stay to long on one place (too much heat), just do it gently and multiple times if really dirty.

Once done, YOU MUST protect the vinyl again .... I use 3M (it is a gel and takes days before it really penetrates the vinyl... but lasts pretty long).

I have done it with all my boats season after season.....

And yes works brilliant on the carpet as well

Tip: soap carpet first with shampoo if dirty, steam clean (it will push the shampoo everywhere), then dry (or vacuum with waterproof vacuum cleaner).

And for the skeptics..... steam cleaning is THE professional way of cleaning cars for decades.