Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Holy Smokes-What a Feeling

Birm

First of all, please allow me to introduce myself....I'm Birm, and I have been lurking on this site diligently on a daily basis since last September.... absorbing all of the great information, and enjoying the comradarie found on this site. I have been saving my first post for this day! Well the day has arrived, and I must say that I am nervous Shocking.gif , extremely excited Surprised.gif , and wondering a bit what the heck did I just do Crazy.gif .....that is a lot of dough. My CFO and I ordered a Wakesetter 23 LSV today....YEA!!! Yahoo.gif I am so happy to almost be a Malibu Boat Owner. I have a production slot scheduled for June 6th, and hopefully will have the boat by early July. I ordered the boat with the following options:

Power Wedge

Black Bimini Cover

2 Outlet Heater

2 Lightning Racks

Storage Cover

Dual Batteries

STE Exhaust

Bow Ballest

Depth Finder

Fiberglass Platform

Extreme Trailer with SwingAway Tongue and Spare tire

2 pair pull up cleats (Standard)

Monsoon 340 (Standard)

Now I know a lot of you here swear by the Hammerhead, especially in the larger boats. I went back and forth on this, but in the end it came down to finances. I couldn't let go of the extra bucks. For me, since this is my first boat (other than my canoe), the Monsoon will be great.

Anyways, I'm glad to finally post on the site, to almost own a Malibu, and to introduce myself. Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you at some of the events.

Regards,

Birm :lol:

It only gets better from here on in!!!! Yahoo.gif

We are on to no.5 malibu and are very happy with everything Biggrin.gif

Congratulations and Welcome.gif

You are going to have a great time with the boat. The 23 LSV is a sweet boat with a ton of room. The Monsoon will be fine, although if you really load up on the ballast you may want to prop down a bit from the 537 to the Acme 857. There are some past threads regarding this you can search for.

Let's see some pictures when you get them. Now hopefully you can get some sleep between now and when the boat arrives.

Birm,

Welcome to the game and congratulations on the new boat. You'll love everything about it......execpt the wait. What are your colors? Definately post pics when you get them.

Oh, by the way, I love your avatar. Does he (or is it she?) have a name?

Obski,

Thanks for the advice. My avatar is my old boy Moab. He actually passed on two years ago, July 4th weekend at the age of 5 :( . He had a heart disease that is quite common in Boxers. We loved him alot, but losing him didn't slow us down....We ended up adopting another Boxer shortly after + we still had Moab's sister. So now we have a Fritz and a Gretel, which brings me to another topic.... We are hoping to get them out on the boat with us. Does anyone here have any words of wisdom on how to acquaint your dogs to boating? How about protecting the seats, carpet, etc. from the paws? I have seen the dog booties, but that seems like a lot of work. We did get darker interior (not any white) in the boat to help hide some of the dirt. Any tips?

Thanks,

Birm

Birm,

Welcome to the game and congratulations on the new boat. You'll love everything about it......execpt the wait. What are your colors? Definately post pics when you get them.

We went into the shop thinking we were going to go with a Reuben, Classic Progressive color scheme. However, the shop had a great looking VLX with a Classic Progressive with Midnight Blue, thin marble stripes and white hull & deck. This dark blue color looked awesome! Also, it is alot easier to pick a color when you have actually seen it in person vs. looking at color chips or a computer screen. As such, we went with a midnight blue Classic Progressive color scheme, with greyish interior. My truck is grey, so it will match nicely, and as an added bonus the colors picked also happen to be the same colors as the Dallas Cowboys! Yes, I'm from Northern CA and not a Raiders or Niners Fan! Tongue.gif .

I will be going down to Merced to see my boat when it is being built. I will post pics as soon as I have some.

Birm

Oh, by the way, I love your avatar. Does he (or is it she?) have a name?

Obski,

Thanks for the advice. My avatar is my old boy Moab. He actually passed on two years ago, July 4th weekend at the age of 5 :( . He had a heart disease that is quite common in Boxers. We loved him alot, but losing him didn't slow us down....We ended up adopting another Boxer shortly after + we still had Moab's sister. So now we have a Fritz and a Gretel, which brings me to another topic.... We are hoping to get them out on the boat with us. Does anyone here have any words of wisdom on how to acquaint your dogs to boating? How about protecting the seats, carpet, etc. from the paws? I have seen the dog booties, but that seems like a lot of work. We did get darker interior (not any white) in the boat to help hide some of the dirt. Any tips?

Thanks,

Birm

Dog booties are not as much work as having to repair or replace your vinyl. Of course that is only my experience and opinion. We take them off when he is on the swim platform and he knows not to come in the boat without them.

post-1367-1148833287_thumb.jpg

The Monsoon will be fine, although if you really load up on the ballast you may want to prop down a bit from the 537 to the Acme 857.

Or the 1235.

Welcome to the site. Congratulations. Quite a leap from a canoe.

If you haven't already decided.....one suggestion. Please do yourself a favor. Get Domed numbers. You'll never regret the $100. (Colors and font to match your hull)

If you need some hints & tips on how to install, just let me know. I posted a "method" that works very well.... lets you follow he contour of the rubrail.

hmmm... a production date of ... 6/6/06 .... going to have to name that one " the beast " gl w/ the new ride

Edited by badbob13ftw

Birm,

We went into the shop thinking we were going to go with a Reuben, Classic Progressive color scheme. However, the shop had a great looking VLX with a Classic Progressive with Midnight Blue, thin marble stripes and white hull & deck. This dark blue color looked awesome! Also, it is alot easier to pick a color when you have actually seen it in person vs. looking at color chips or a computer screen. As such, we went with a midnight blue Classic Progressive color scheme, with greyish interior. My truck is grey, so it will match nicely, and as an added bonus the colors picked also happen to be the same colors as the Dallas Cowboys! Yes, I'm from Northern CA and not a Raiders or Niners Fan! Tongue.gif .

I will be going down to Merced to see my boat when it is being built. I will post pics as soon as I have some.

Birm

Congrats on the new addition!! I'm not a whinners or Raiders fan either. Check out Central/Norcal Thread for local Crew members in the area. Since you'll have the boat in time come up to Oroville for thr Crew's Weekend on the Water July 14-16th.

MalibuNation

Congratulations. You'll love the boat, I have a 2003 21' Sunscape LSV and was on the water all day Sat, Sun and Mon and came to work today to rest.

Nice dog and sorry about the loss ... from a fellow boxer owner.

Dog booties are not as much work as having to repair or replace your vinyl. Of course that is only my experience and opinion. We take them off when he is on the swim platform and he knows not to come in the boat without them.

Doesn't your dog try and rip those booties off?

Doesn't your dog try and rip those booties off?

Not at all. When we first got them, years ago, we put them on in the house so he could get used to them which didn't take but a short time. When he has them on now, I don't think he much knows it. We get asked about them everywhere we go.

Oh ! lord, stuck in lodi again.
:lol:

That is a great song! Maybe I will make that my offical boat launch song. I heard (although it may be an urban legend) that CCR wrote that song after their bus broke down off of Highway 99 in Lodi.

Birm

If you haven't already decided.....one suggestion. Please do yourself a favor. Get Domed numbers. You'll never regret the $100. (Colors and font to match your hull)

If you need some hints & tips on how to install, just let me know. I posted a "method" that works very well.... lets you follow he contour of the rubrail.

Doug,

The domed numbers look awesome. I am going to call and order mine tomorrow. I think I will take you up on tips on how to install. Can you post again, or send me an email.

Thanks,

Birm

hmmm... a production date of ... 6/6/06 .... going to have to name that one " the beast " gl w/ the new ride

You kind of freaked my wife out with the number of the beast reference. :lol: Anyways, I called the dealer today and the order has been confirmed, but the spray date will be 6/7/06. That will make my wife happy!

Hi~

Welcome! Welcome! :)

Congratulations on the new 'Bu...Hope to see you at WOW in Oroville this year. Can't have a better 1st crew event than that!!

~Shannon

Re reply from Birm:

"The domed numbers look awesome. I am going to call and order mine tomorrow. I think I will take you up on tips on how to install. Can you post again, or send me an email.

Thanks,"

Birm

To Birm:

Here's a copy of my post from long time ago. You'll love the numbers.

Here's how I did it.

Re APPLYING the numbers.

Yes, it's true, the numbers come pre-spaced on double sided paper. Fine to apply "as-is" if you're putting on a perfectly flat surface.... but we usually put on the front of the hull, where the surface is curved.

Here's how I was able to keep the right spacing, but still follow the contour of the boat.

1/ I ran a piece of painters masking tape on the upper part of the side of the boat, right up under the rub rail. I used 3/4" tape. THIS became the line where I wanted all my numbers to butt up against. (Obviously, you would use what ever width of masking tape that puts the numbers where you want them.)

2/ I then peeled away the TOP portion of the sticky back paper on the back of the numbers. (about 1/4 of the back-side paper.)

3/ I positioned the first number right where I wanted it.... with the top edge of the number butting up against my masking tape.

4/ I then twisted/rotated the remaining strip of numbers slightly.... just enough so that the 2nd number was fully butting up against the masking tape.

5/ Moving on to the 3rd character. Again, twisted the remaining numbers strip, so that the 3rd number butted up against the masking tape.

6/ Part way along, I peeled the remaining sticky back paper away from the 1st couple of numbers, and fully applied. This helped stop all the backing paper from bunching up in my hands.

7/ I continued to apply all the numbers..... butting the top of each one in turn up against the masking tape.

8/ Once I got all the tops in place.... I peeled the remaining backing paper off.... and fully applied all the characters. Then pulled off the front protective paper from the numbers as well.

9/ Removed the masking tape.

This method took advantage of the perfect spacing provided by Eric and his folks.... yet still let the numbers follow the contour of the hull.

Takes a bit of time, but still pretty easy once you get rolling.

WHY this method works. If you just apply the numbers with the pre-spacing by Eric on a curved surface, the distance to the rubrail doesn't stay constant. You're putting a straight edge against curved edge. You end up with too much space at one end, and too little at the other end. This "masking-tape" method solves that problem.

When I sent Eric a digital of my hull to match the colors of my '98 Response, he suggested the 2-tone version. I loved it.

post-114-1149212366_thumb.jpg

Edited by doughickey