Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Boat Driving

Cat

Our lake is round and I pretty much just drive my wakeboarders in a square around the lake.

When someone else drives when I Slalom I want to go up and down the same path like going through a slalom course.

What is the proper way to drive to do so.

Do I drive a course like a dumbbell. Straight, turn slight left and then turn right and then straight again. What should the skier (me) be doing through the turns so I don't get wiped hard.

Any tips or advice would be greatly great.

I need to learn this but cannot find anything on the internet about it. Are there video links our there that show this?

Thanks

Cat

We go straight up, make a backward P, then right back down our own propwash. I stay just outside the wake during the turn. If only the other ski boats on the lake would do it this way!!! Cry.gif

We go straight up, make a backward P, then right back down our own propwash. I stay just outside the wake during the turn.
Ditto. Do it for wakeboarders too. When you do a square the boarder has to deal with the wakes from his own boat... Cry.gif ...From what I understand, wakeboarders like smooth water too. Crazy.gif

We always stay in our own path up and back. (the dumbell and P or backwards P analogies are great) Not only is it courteous to other boaters (assuming they are paying attention) 'cause they know where you are going to go, you are also giving your rider the most consistent pull possible. This also makes it possible for other boaters to use the same cove if it's wide enough.

I've never understood drivers that zig-zag all over the lake (don't even get me started on the wally's pulling tubers) as there is no way to avoid slack in the line. Nothing worse than setting up for a cut and the driver turn towards the side your on and having the line go slack...

Sounds like you have the pattern OK for skiing. The basic rule is that you never want the boat to be traveling 30-150 degrees from your intended line, thus, you always want the boat to turn out, to turn back in. Make sense? If you just looped on the end, you would send rollers.

However, you're really screwing up your wakeboarding water by using a square pattern.

We go straight up, make a backward P, then right back down our own propwash. I stay just outside the wake during the turn. If only the other ski boats on the lake would do it this way!!! Cry.gif

Ditto :)