Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To cover or not to cover

thealy

I need a new travel cover for my 21XTI. Can anyone provide contact info for Rankin, Covercrafts and any other awesome cover maker?

I currently have a Malibu Sunbrella cover and I don't like it and the straps ruin the gel coat. (I use swim noodles to protect the boat but it's not a good cover)

I have been told Poly is the way to go. Any recomendations?

Cory is on this site (Covercrafts is his handle). He used to work at Rankin and is now out on his own. Try PMing him and he will be able to share his experience with fabrics and cover types.

As for me, I like the Sunbrella because it can be made nearly waterproof and it still breathes. It does stretch over time but the benefits outweigh the downsides in my opinion.

Good luck in your search!

I'll post some pics of mine when it arrives. Cory was great to work with and even added a few modifications / additions per my request to make it a one of a kind cover ;)

to sum it up, I think everybody is in agreement that if you want to tow wit ha cover on, you need a cover that was designed specifically for trailerering. Otherwise it is best to tow with the cover off unless in the most extreme weather circumstances because it is easier to clean the boat than to repair damage caused by a cover that was nto designed for towing.

Also I do think it was an interesting point that was brought up earlier that the cover does nto flap or rub nearly as much when it is wet. I have towed with the cover on once when it was a deluge and towing at 55 mph with a soaked cover there was no momement or flapping.