Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Launching your BU with an RV

greenhead

I have access to a 1998 32' RV with a Powerstroke in it. I am a little concerned about launching my boat with it. My fear is that the whole dang thing will roll back into the water due to the weight of the RV itself.

I have never seen this done an I am curious of what the outcome would be.

Any input/experience with doing this?

It's been a long time since Statics class in Engineering school... :( ...but just thinking about it breifly I come to the conclusion that unless the ramp is over 45 degrees (very unlikely) the weight will help you because up til that angle there you'll have a bigger component of the weight perpendicular to the ramp versus parallel to it. This assumes you have good coefficient of static friction between your tires and the ramp (i.e. no slime on the ramp, and you don't decide to use that Powerstroke to start the tires spinning)

I must admit that I have not been eager to launch the boat with the RV. I have a 29' Class A motorhome, but I have not wanted to try out a launch and retrieval with it. I imagine all would be fine, but it isn't very appealing to me to try.

It's been a long time since Statics class in Engineering school... :( ...but just thinking about it breifly I come to the conclusion that unless the ramp is over 45 degrees (very unlikely) the weight will help you because up til that angle there you'll have a bigger component of the weight perpendicular to the ramp versus parallel to it. This assumes you have good coefficient of static friction between your tires and the ramp (i.e. no slime on the ramp, and you don't decide to use that Powerstroke to start the tires spinning)

RTS, I don't think the problem would be the friction between the tires and the ramp, the biggest problem I would see would be the brakes holding the wheels still, or the engine turning the wheels to get the boat out of the water. That would be the problem if any.

But we used to launch a sea ray with an old camper, and aside from not being able to see the boat when backing up, there isn't much of a worry.

More than likely the rear tires won't even be near the water. The motorhome should do fine providing you have the room to manuver.

our biggest problem was if we had to pull the boat mid week. in most cases we had a friend with a truck so they did the ramp work for us. The RV would do it, just a little slower. I've seen a bus conversion launching a seadoo, that was funny.

I have launched a boat with an RV many times. I have had two of them. With the first one I put a bumber hitch on the front bumper, unhooked the boat, turned the RV around and hooked the boat on the front. That was a piece of cake to manuver. The second RV was a GMC with front wheel drive and steep ramps gave me a hard time because of lose of traction. You have to learn to back using your mirrors as you can not see the boat at all when it is directly behind you.

OldHickory

I've launched numerous times with a 36' Class A. never had a problem other than the discourteous wallys who have the need to rush their trailers into the water crooked...

Don't have a big a$$ motor home, don't want one, but my very non-physics impression is that the pounds per square inch on the rubber hitting the ramp will allow you to launch and retrieve the Bu with not too much problem.

Go for it, have fun.

I launch my very large 25lsv wakesetter with my 35' Class A Winnebago throughout the summer. Not a large problem if the ramp area is wide open otherwise you'll need a friend to help you get your boat in the water...

Check out my gallery :)

Thanks for all of your valuable input. I feel much better about this now. I have made other plans this weekend to just use a tent because of my fear of the RV getting lost in the lake. Next time will be different.

Again, thanks for the input!

greenhead......listen up! I've launched my boat plenty of times with a 38ft class A pusher . You should have seen the looks that I would get. The funny part about it is, I would still be able launch my boat faster than most of the yahoo's on the ramp. ( Not braggin ..just a fact ) I have never thought twice about it.....as a matter of fact. The longer the rig is the easier it is to back the boat down the ramp. Good luck next time around.

RJ