Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Window Tint, yeah or neah?

corpusmalibuguy

I was just wondering what people thought about tinting their windows. I have seen a few boats with it that looked pretty cool. Just curious.

Well Mike I plan on doing mine as soon as I get it out of the stereo shop, not going to do 5%, since my boat is mostly black I thought I would try to get as dark as possible but I'm not. I will probably do 20%. I think they look good, I have seen a couple boats done. Another thing about getting it done is if you ever have a rock fly up off your tires and smash your window it will stay together mostly ( someone on here just had this problem IIRC) But I would do it, the Texas sun is hard on us.

Grant

I think they look good but I wouldn't do it. From what I hear it is really hard (or impossible) to see through the windshield and especially in the evenings. Some people always drive with the booster while looking over the winshield, so I guess this would be a non-issue if you do that.

I don't care for the tint on boats, but if you think it looks cool, go for it.

Just don't do it for functional reasons. The tint will do little to protect the interior of your boat from UV rays or keep it cooler (unless you went with the full glass enclosed cockpit option) and will not help forward or side visibilty while driving. It may not hurt it, but it won't help.

I guess it would protect your dash to some extent.

I think I would find it to hinder my rearward visibility through the boats windsheild while towing, also...

But like I said, to each their own...

I don't care for it on ski boats. It looks OK on some go-fast boats. As other have said, early morning/evening visibility will be reduced significantly. Depending on how dark you go, you'll also get some reflections from your dash off the darker windshield.

Depends on if you want overall functionality or just looks...

Had it on my old boat and I loved it! I found that even during the bright sunlight I did not have to use my sunglasses if I was looking throught the winshield. Yes, in the early eavining it is a little tough to see through the winshield but I suffered through it for the looks. It really sets off the other colors in the gelcoat. As soon as I can afford to do it to my new v-ride I will have it done. I will probably do it this winter. To have it professionally done it cost me $395.00 3 years ago. No just your average rim shop down the street that tints windows can or will do it.

I was curious just how much it would hinder visibility. I guess like most people have said, it depends on how dark you go. I do agree that it looks pretty sharp. I definitely think it will add something to the VRide. My main concern is not being able to see branches and logs that seem to float down the rivers all the time down here. It is hard enough to see them without the tint.

Grant, are you going to have yours done by the WOW? Just curious.

I had it done, not very dark, and I love it. I think it looks great, and it doesn't seem to hinder visibility at all.

I did mine, and I really like it. It looks good, plus it helps w/ my eyes as they are kind of sensitive to light. Never had any prob at night as well.

I think it looks really good on some boats and not so good on others. I don't think I would have any problem if my windshield was tinted because I never look through it, always over it. I am either standing (surfing) or sitting on the back of the seat (boarding).

Don't do it! Don't do it!!

Glare off the tint is awful,unbareable, in dust or night drive home. I ended up putting a shirt over the gauges to cut the glare from the lights but still no good..

Get used to sitting way up to see over the windshield.

IMO Just buy more sunglasses!!!

Don't do it! Don't do it!!

Glare off the tint is awful,unbareable, in dust or night drive home. I ended up putting a shirt over the gauges to cut the glare from the lights but still no good..

Get used to sitting way up to see over the windshield.

IMO Just buy more sunglasses!!!

Dang dust on the water gets ya every time.. Crazy.gif