Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WTH Happened to the site? hacked?

Kalamazoo

Sounds like a lot of us are getting old.

Let's face it, to afford to run one of these we generally have our lives in order and are starting to enjoy the spoils of our hard work.

Having said that, the White on black is great at night with less glare.

Would also use less power so mobile devices would gain a bit of battery life from this

I prefer the black on white, must be that resisting change thing I am told about....

Maybe a soloution would be to offer in the account settings skin options.

Start with the simple change of reverse background & text colours.

Should the forum wish to add skins down the track, this would be the vehicle for it.

My opinion is that it is very hard to read, disturbingly so......this might be the catalyst that gets me to go buy glasses....and I still use Money 97, so I am probably one of those that is resistant to any type of change.

• Like 3

Although, SoCal surfers are going to be really confused now.

:laugh:

I'm not a fan of the new logo. More associated with traditional coastal surfing than what our boats do so it loses that immediate association you would normally get from a logo.

Edited by ToeCutter

I like the new look on the site and for a minute I thought, holy crap what's wrong with my ipad? I am not really that keen on the new logo, I liked the other one. Seemed a bit sleeker with the other font. Funny how different people see things. I'm sure it will grow on us, and thanks for doing such a great job. You guys have the best site I visit, and the best people on the internet are here, it's a pleasure to be a part of The MalibuCrew.

I'm having difficulty reading the site and I'm not *that* old. I've literally reduced my viewership because of it. Luckily the mobile version is still the default mobile skin so I can read it better. I just hate using my phone for websites unless it's a time killing scenario.

I've run an IPBoard in the past it's very easy to provide multiple skins and let the user choose. At minimum leaving the default skin as an option would always mean it's supported through ipboard upgrades.

When you read about visual display theory you'll learn quickly that using black as a contrasting background is actually worse for visual acceptance and readability. I've had to research visual theory for display of data on panels of TV's. http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi and http://www.perceptualedge.com/library.php#Books are very popular resources.

Would also use less power so mobile devices would gain a bit of battery life from this

Not true, unless you have an OLED display. LCD displays consume the most power when displaying black. The back light is always on and it takes power to cause an LCD pixel to block light. It's relaxed state passes light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sad to say that I'm reading the site less also cause of the strain on my eyes. I've tried to accept the white on black lettering, but it just bothers my eyes too much. The new logo has grown on me.

I'm sad to say that I'm reading the site less also cause of the strain on my eyes. I've tried to accept the white on black lettering, but it just bothers my eyes too much. The new logo has grown on me.

Even on tapatalk/mobile? I only notice the changes when viewing from a computer...

another interesting find...not that it happens all the time, but if you wish to highlight text in a thread (to copy, search on google, etc) it is another shade of black and exceptionally hard to tell what is selected.

when you select something in the 'post' or 'edit' areas, it highlights blue as it should.

• 4 weeks later...

When I want to respond to something another has written, I hit "quote" and it used to have the response I am responding to included in my post but now all it does is my comment and it loses context. How come??

Liked the old logo better.

Don't like the new skin as well.

But I have been told I need to be more accepting of change so I will work on that.

• Like 1

Are you using Internet explorer? Site still broken for some things with IE. Try pressing the lightswitch button in the reply window and see if the quote works for you. But if that is the issue, it pre-dated the changes they made to the skins.

Works using FF not in Exploder. Recommend using FF or Chrome.

Works in IE (11) if you hit the switch. Installing hippie ware on my computers, not an option ;)

IE holds almost 60% of the market, seems like there would be a fix available.

Edited by oldjeep

Works in IE (11) if you hit the switch. Installing hippie ware on my computers, not an option ;)

IE holds almost 60% of the market, seems like there would be a fix available.

I have IE11 and I had to hit quote then the switch then quote again. Let's see if this works. Seems way too cumbersome. Am I the only one with this issue?