Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starting the engine

I haven't tried to start the boat in over a year until tonight. Charged both batteries, played the stereo, cleaned her up and had fun. Thought I would do a quick fire up but she just kept cranking over. It is the original tanks of gas still full (two years old). Can the gas go bad? Do I have to prime it even though it is FI? It is a 2004 with 10 hours. What do you recommend? We were going to take her out this Friday.

I just paid her off this week. Costing me about 4k an hour of use so far. Hope I do not have to pay anymore to get it to start? KC

You've probably already checked this, but...

- is the kill switch lanyard removed?

- is the fuel supply line shut off?

I suppose the gas could go bad but I'd at least think you'd hear the engine try to catch and then cough/stop.

You've probably already checked this, but...

- is the kill switch lanyard removed?

- is the fuel supply line shut off?

I suppose the gas could go bad but I'd at least think you'd hear the engine try to catch and then cough/stop.

Those 2 items are the first that come to my mind as well.

Let us know and get some hours on that Bu!!!

is the kill switch lanyard removed?

Ha-ha... it has been so long I forgot all about that thing. It is too late to try now but that must be it? I am going to pick up a fuel stabilizer too just in case for the fuel.

At least I checked and put all the plugs back in! I never got my registration either and found out there was a luxury tax lien for 588 on it holding up the reg. Wifey paid the extortion fee today (out of her allowance) so we could get the reg by Friday. My father n law has had a 32'r in Monterey Bay Harbor since '93 and never paid a luxury tax, yet I get one for a POS ski boat??? go figure? KC

Some gas stations will accept "bad gas" for recycling. If that gas is over a year old with no stabilizer in it...I wouldn't run it through my $40K boat engine. When gas separates out it forms a nasty "varnish" like substance on the bottom of the tank. I'd find a station to dump the bad gas on, drive around for a while first to get the gas to "remix" to some degree and get rid of it. You'll end up clogging filters and possibly injectors running that varnish through your motor...not more the risk. Not to mention it'll smoke like a burning tire.

If it sat for that long you may also want to take a peak into the cap and rotor. The contacts have a tendancy to corrode and no clean contacts = no spark, no sparky = no starty.

The original (2 year old) gas is going to be a problem, for sure. As others said, get rid of it somehow. That being said, I wonder if 2 year old gas would allow it to run at all, even very poorly at idle. I think it would, so you'll probably need to check the other stuff they mentioned.

Varnished (read:old) gas has a very distinct smell, I don't know how to describe it, but we all pretty much know what gasoline should smell like, and if you sniff the gas in your tank, I'm pretty sure you'll know what I'm talking about.

BTW, if you anticipate circumstances in the future causing you to continue to go through a tank of gas every two years, you can stabilize the gas for two years. According to Sta-bil's website, doubling the recommended dose of Sta-bil will provide protection for two years, I do that in my emergency generator.

But your current gas is no good (please, everyone, spare me the story of your grandpappy's tractor that fired right up with 69 year old gas in the tank - 2 year old unstabilized gas needs to go, especially with fuel injectors involved) and Sta-bil's website specifically mentions the their product can not bring old gas "back to life"

Hopefully, you'll get it running and be able to enjoy some more time on the water...

Edited by rts

rts is right. The gas is a big problem if it was left untreated for two years. It is even worse for an engine with fuel injectors. They are going to gum up and not allow the engine to run right or at all as maybe in your case. Definitely remove the gas from the tank....you can't treat 'bad' gas. You may have to remove the injectors and get them cleaned out. I'm not jamming you here but learn how to winterize your engine to avoid doing costly repairs. It is always important to do this and even more so in extreme cold environments.

After you get the new gas, turn the key to run, wait a few seconds, then to off and then repeat 6 or 7 times. You will hear the fuel pump run. This makes sure there is fuel to the injectors and git rid of air bubbles. I think the manual goes over this procedure. Might be worth while reading.

Oh, by the way. This probably isn't the place to go calling a Bu a "POS ski boat". Now if this was the MC or Tique site your comment would be perfectly reasonable. Biggrin.gif

POS statement.... More in regards to how the government thinks this 21 footer is a "luxury" item. It is for family fun. Fun that I worked hard for. Why is hard work a luxury was my point. No offense meant, but I can see where it was taken.

Ill see if it starts when I get home. If it starts and sounds fine I am gonna run it. Maybe add an octane boost or something (Marvel Mystery Oil?). I remember when I originally filled up I used premium if that makes a difference? How about just draining a little (10 gallons or so from each tank) and adding fresh?

Funny but I had the same problem with an '04 motorcycle that I never used. Went to fire it up two weeks ago and had to take the carb apart and remove the gunk from the jets. It was race gas though.

Thanks for the replies, KC

definately get rid of the gas.

When we moved into our new house, the previous owner had left a garden tiller. It looked to be in good shape, but would not start. I shot starting fluid into the carb, it started right up, but unless nursed with the starting fluid, it would die. I dumped the varnish out of the gas tank and replaced with new, it fired right up and ran like a top.

I'd recommend a can of Sea Foam added to that tank and the next two tanks thereafter. You will have fuel atomization issues with your injectors if you don't at the very least try to run some sort of cleaning agent through the system. Bad atomization means poor fuel economy, lost power, higher emissions...

Ill see if it starts when I get home. If it starts and sounds fine I am gonna run it. Maybe add an octane boost or something (Marvel Mystery Oil?). I remember when I originally filled up I used premium if that makes a difference? How about just draining a little (10 gallons or so from each tank) and adding fresh?

Be careful...these are the parts you'll be replacing if you mess up your injectors...

Fuel Injectors

I know these are for a PCM, but I doubt they'd be much less , or even different for an Indmar, and at > $166 each for eight, not including labor, I wouldn't risk it for a few bucks worth of gas.

If you can drain 10 gallons out of each, just drain all of it out and start fresh. Octane boost and the fact that it was premium fuel to start won't help, because octane is not the issue.

Edited by rts

In addition to getting rid of the gas, run a fuel system cleaner through it with the fresh gas & a few tanks afterward as UW suggested because you won't be able to get rid of the gas that's in the lines & the buildup that's taking place there.

Seriously, a little work now could save you a lot of headache in the future.

i was shocked that is took 12 posts before someone questioned the POS statement...

I just didn' get that POS standed for Piece of s***, seems that 2004 Malibu and POS just don't go in the same sentence...Dontknow.gif

Should be a test kit for fuel analysis or a place to have it tested now that I think of it. I have had old diesel tested in the past for large life safety generators and fire pumps but turn around time was a couple of weeks.

I will drain some and run it through one of my honda mowers. If it works okay then it will be okay. Thanks again! KC

Yep. Get the gas outa the Bu'.

Use it in your neighbor's tiller - just before they move out - then they'll leave it and you can snatch it, put fresh gas in it and sell it on ebay and recoup the luxury tax.

The Honda mower test is flawed unless your mower is fuel injected...I don't doubt the gas will burn, it's contamination that could cause problems. Don't risk your mower, too, just get some gas and put it in a little metal cup and light it to see if it burns or not...those are the only quick results you're going to get by running old fuel through a mower...

No offense meant, but why did you ask for advice if you aren't going to listen? Frustrated.gif

You have two possible outcomes:

1. The engine fires, gives poor perfomance, high chance of causing big $$$$ damage. Injectors @ $150+ each +labor

2. Spend an hour draining the tank and filling with $75 of new gas.

Seems like a no-brainer.