Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

White Vinyl Starting to Yellow Slightly

I use 303 but have recently noticed that the white sections of vinyl are not as white as they used to be. What can I use to safely restore the bright white? I've tried some StarBrite Vinyl Cleaner w/ no result.

I personally wouldn't use it as it contains bleach in it that will over time remove the protective layer on the vinyl. I use Vinyl Finish to clean with a soft nylon brush and terry cloths.

This post is very timely for me...after the recent wet sanding the white of the gelcoat is making the vinyl look a little sad. Sounds like the magic eraser pads are a good place to start.

Here's the deal w/ the Magic Eraser. We have semi-gloss paint on some walls in our house and my lovely wife thought it'd be a good idea to use the magic eraser to clean off some dog slobber. Well, we now have dull spots where she used it.

Moral of the story is, the reason you don't have to use cleaners w/ the magic eraser is b/c the melamine (sp?) sponge is abrasive. Therefore, like my fear of the SoftScrub, it may take the finish off the vinyl.

Edited by sliver
Moral of the story is, the reason you don't have to use cleaners w/ the magic eraser is b/c the melamine (sp?) sponge is abrasive. Therefore, like my fear of the SoftScrub, it may take the finish off the vinyl.

Exactly. I think it removes some of whatever surface you're working on, then covers the stain/spot.

I've used the mildew remover from West Marine. I know I know its not intented for vinyl....But this stuff has some bite! Its contains Sodium Hypochloride and Hydrochloric acid.....Just use lots of water to rinse.. Then apply the 303 after to seal it up. It'll get your whites looking BRIGHT!

I recently had a seat recovered and I asked the manager at the upholstery shop what to use to clean the vinyl and he said not to use anything with chlorine in it as it would weaken the thread where it is sewn together.

OldHickory

Edited by OldHickory
  • 4 weeks later...
I recently had a seat recovered and I asked the manager at the upholstery shop what to use to clean the vinyl and he said not to use anything with chlorine in it as it would weaken the thread where it is sewn together.

OldHickory

Half true. If you don't use it in direct sunlight, and make sure you completely wash all of it off your seats, it will work very well. It's the chlorine/sun combo that will weaken the threads. So if you need a good cleaner, you can do it, then hose down the stuff for a while to get rid of all of it.

• 3 weeks later...