Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Independent Ski Tests

mlange

Looks like it's online now...

http://www.waterskitests.com/

Mike

No KD

No Carbon Worx

If you leave some of the top skiis in the industry out of the test, what good are the results?

That would be like testing motocross bikes and including Yamaha and KTM but not even bringing Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki to the track.

Edited by mrothwell

Hmm. They didn't seem to like my S8 that much. I can't really get it to turn how I'd like it too either. I'm a little big for it though. Surprised they didn't like the turning of the Nomad better. Everyone I've ever known who's tried the X5 thought it was a great, consistent turner, even if it is a little slower across the course.

After reading that page, I'm a little conflicted.

No KD

No Carbon Worx

If you leave some of the top skiis in the industry out of the test, what good are the results?

That would be like testing motocross bikes and including Yamaha and KTM but not even bringing Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki to the track.

ROFL.gif

Do KD still make skis? I thought they were only selling them in Europe now, after the Platinum disaster i would ski on a fence paling before i set foot on one of them...

As for Carbonworx, they ain't exactly one of the top ski manufacturers in the business, rumour has it they have or are very close to closing their doors, mainly due to very poor customer service with warranty returns on defective products, and word finally getting around about the inconsistency of the products that come out of there, huge production variances..

Having said that about Carbonworx i better duck for cover though! Shocking.gif

I would say the skis' tested are the motocross bikes and the Carbonworx/KD's are the pit lane scooters!

I would say the skis' tested are the motocross bikes and the Carbonworx/KD's are the pit lane scooters!

Yes, hit the deck, run for cover....oh wait, skisix is at the Michigan Ski Clinic. You have some time before you get it. :lol:

Can't speak to Cworx's customer service, but did have a chance to take a run on Edwin's new Outlaw last weekend. The Outlaw is an absolute rocket...

Whatever LXiman..... Put your money where your mouth is! Come to CO and ski with me and then tell me about "defective product" and whatever about "scooters". I've riden all most of the skis they tested and I have the same opinion on the skis as they do, only I've also riden Cworx. By now there are a lot of folks who have seen me ski in person, and many who have either riden a my ski or another C'worx and I think they will all say that that ski is the real deal.

The LXI in lximan must stand for Bayliner LXI too!

I've just spent the weekend teaching lots of skiers how to ski better on whatever they were riding, What were you doing?

No KD

No Carbon Worx

ROFL.gif

Do KD still make skis? I thought they were only selling them in Europe now, after the Platinum disaster i would ski on a fence paling before i set foot on one of them...

As for Carbonworx, they ain't exactly one of the top ski manufacturers in the business, rumour has it they have or are very close to closing their doors, mainly due to very poor customer service with warranty returns on defective products, and word finally getting around about the inconsistency of the products that come out of there, huge production variances..

Whatever LXiman..... Put your money where your mouth is! Come to CO and ski with me and then tell me about "defective product" and whatever about "scooters". I've riden all most of the skis they tested and I have the same opinion on the skis as they do, only I've also riden Cworx. By now there are a lot of folks who have seen me ski in person, and many who have either riden a my ski or another C'worx and I think they will all say that that ski is the real deal.

I've just spent the weekend teaching lots of skiers how to ski better on whatever they were riding, What were you doing?

Hey,

I'm just repeating what i've been told, so are Carbonworx still in business? Serious question by the way...

It's fine for the ski to be the real deal but its in the minority, thats what my post is getting at, the yamaha's honda's etc are the main players in the motor bike world like the Obriens, HO's D3's in the waterski world...

Carbonworx just really isn't out there for whatever reason....

I'm sure you did the clinics all out of the goodness of your heart, no financial reward what so ever????

Also, before you tell people you have an average of 5.8 bouys at 38 off in tournaments, you might want to add in all the other scores... An average is just that, add all the scores together and divide them by the number of scores, not just the scores you want to include!

I took the liberty of doing that for you, your average is : 93.31 bouys, which = 3.3 bouys at 35 off.

Bit of a difference huh...

I'm not saying you aren't a good skier, to get into 39off is pretty good going, but i thought someone better call you out since you come at me all high and mighty...

I spoke with Boyd at CWorx last week, sounded like he was in business to me. FWIW, I'm quite pleased with my CWorx Outlaw ski that doesn't seem very defective to me.

LXIMAN - any chance you're related to Batman.gif ? You're gonna be about as popular as he was Fingerwag.gif

Back to the topic as titled, I thought it was interesting that most of the testers were either Goode or HO Monza skiers - no men had D3 or KD as their personal ski. Even though each tester didn't test their own ski, I'd speculate that they could provide advice to other testers re: proper setup for their particular ski.

Also disappointed they didn't test the X5. I would have liked to see the X5 and Nomad comparison. When I tried the monza, I didn't do that well on it, but not sure if the setup was an issue. One of my ski partners who was at the nor cal clinic just tweaked his monza setup based on what we learned. He's much happier on the ski now...

skisix@38 - were you surprised that the monza ended up ranked 2nd based on the methods & testers?

Hey,

I'm just repeating what i've been told, so are Carbonworx still in business? Serious question by the way...

It's fine for the ski to be the real deal but its in the minority, thats what my post is getting at, the yamaha's honda's etc are the main players in the motor bike world like the Obriens, HO's D3's in the waterski world...

I'm sure you did the clinics all out of the goodness of your heart, no financial reward what so ever????

Also, before you tell people you have an average of 5.8 bouys at 38 off in tournaments, you might want to add in all the other scores... An average is just that, add all the scores together and divide them by the number of scores, not just the scores you want to include!

I took the liberty of doing that for you, your average is : 93.31 bouys, which = 3.3 bouys at 35 off.

I'm not saying you aren't a good skier, to get into 39off is pretty good going, but i thought someone better call you out since you come at me all high and mighty...

lximan,

6 posts and your really doing great on the making friends count. YES, CARBONWORX IS IN BUSINESS. You are correct that it is in the minority, that has more to do with the business plan and capacity than whether it's a good ski- as good of a ski as those tested.

You're also correct that I got paid to do those clinics- From reading the post, everyone seems quite happy with the service they received- why should I be ashamed of that?

I'll let you in on a little fact though, according to the USAWATERSKI rankings- this is the governing body that controls the scores and decides how to compute the rankings(not me), my score is 5.8@38 end of story!

I have never gone through and computed my average score because there is no one who uses that number. That number could be 3@28 off and still not mean a thing. Since you have so much time on your hands go through and compute that number for some of the other skiers around my ranking and see what you get. I also, have never said that I'm a great skier- I hold my own in the big tournaments and that's it. How about you show me some good credentials and provide some good advice to those who ask and then ask the boards if they want you to do a clinic.

Oh, I didn't mean to come at you "all high and mighty", I came at you from a knowledgable position who knows what's going on. Not from a position that heard something from someone who only thought they heard something from someone else.

Your goal here was to yank my chain- you succeeded, now go away.

I'll let you in on a little fact though, according to the USAWATERSKI rankings- this is the governing body that controls the scores and decides how to compute the rankings(not me), my score is 5.8@38 end of story!

SkiSix, that's all well and good, but we all know that you're riding a deathtrap of a ski. Biggrin.gif

BTW - I still love my death tr... er, my Cworx.

An average is just that, add all the scores together and divide them by the number of scores, not just the scores you want to include!

lximan, you didn't even average the scores correctly. 3.3@35 sounded awfully low for me. I went on the the rankings list provided by USAwaterski and looked up all the scores they had for me....

My overall average from all rounds of competition last year is 95.79, or 5.79 balls @35 off. To further review my scores; I scored into 38 15 rounds, into 39.5 2 rounds, and below 38 4 rounds.

There's all the details of my tournaments last year. What's your real name so I can critique your scores and what is it that you're riding?

There's all the details of my tournaments last year. What's your real name so I can critique your scores and what is it that you're riding?

He isn't worth the trouble, Greg. It's one thing to only have 6 posts and try to stir the pot by criticizing a ski. But it's just plain pathetic to come after someone so pointedly like that. Never mind that he's trying to discredit you by arguing that you are apparently only 'pretty good'. WTF? By that measure, I just hope to acheive 'pretty crappy' status someday. (Yeah Jack, I know...)

Your goal here was to yank my chain- you succeeded, now go away.

Amen.

Hey,

Lximan, instead of teaching a class on skiing, perhaps you should start a course on making friends fast. I'm sure you'll receive your just pay.

Troll!

I just hope to acheive 'pretty crappy' status someday. (Yeah Jack, I know...)

Hey Jerry, you're not being fair to yourself. You acheived 'pretty crappy' years ago. And have been holding solid ever since. Biggrin.gif

Anyone have any stink-bait? I thought wakeboarders had the market cornered on rude. . .

Back to the topic as titled, I thought it was interesting that most of the testers were either Goode or HO Monza skiers - no men had D3 or KD as their personal ski. Even though each tester didn't test their own ski, I'd speculate that they could provide advice to other testers re: proper setup for their particular ski.

Also disappointed they didn't test the X5. I would have liked to see the X5 and Nomad comparison. When I tried the monza, I didn't do that well on it, but not sure if the setup was an issue. One of my ski partners who was at the nor cal clinic just tweaked his monza setup based on what we learned. He's much happier on the ski now...

skisix@38 - were you surprised that the monza ended up ranked 2nd based on the methods & testers?

Greg, the troll got in the way on my post. any thoughts?

Kevin

Greg, the troll got in the way on my post. any thoughts?

Kevin

No, I'm not surprised. Other than the 9700, I think the monza was the next best in class, of that grouping. When I go to Regional and National championships the spread of ski is represented like the test results. On the dock there are a lot of Goodes and Monza's, a few D3's, fewer 6AM's and F1's. I got the impression that the test results really came from the top of the line skiers and they had some folks that were into 39 and 41- those are the skiers who will appreciate the monza's characteristics. I would like to hear some one's opinion on the nomad versus the X5 but, I also want to hear while standing on a starting dock after a tournament and not through some test results- I put way more stock in that information than in any test.

KD no longer exists.

CWX was invited but did not respond.

Fischer was invited but did not respond.

There was an X5 at the test but it was a 66” and there were not enough skiers who ride that size ski for a fair test. Almost all the test skiers needed a 67” or 68”

http://waterskitests.com/Horton.htm

I'm not faulting the tests or the test organizers just for the record. I know Carbonworx didn't send a ski. It's their bad.