Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Punch a hole in my plan... Docks

Levi900RR

I think you've all seen some pics of my set up. But for those who haven't, I have 50' of wooden, stationary docks and a boat lift.

The issue is as the summer goes on, the water level drops and I have to move my docks out. At my beach it is so gradual that I end up having to wade out ~400' to get to deep enough water to still have the lift work. No way could I ever have enough dock to reach this far out. This is sub optimal for several reasons.

My plan for next year is to leave one or two section of dock, and my gangway at the beach. Then have the other 30' at the boat lift. I'm going to pick up a little dinghy row boat and leave that at the dock at the beach and use it to shuttle gear / people back and forth.

Anyone see any issues with this set up. Other question is what should I look for in a dinghy. Should I stick with a row boat or get something with a little outboard?

EDIT:

Going for a 2 for 1 deal on this thread... I am considering rebuilding my docks next year. The PT 2X6's are getting pretty bad and the decking is a mess. I got a steal on them so I don't mind putting a little money into it. I think I am going go with cedar, and build them with removable decking panels to make them easier to move around. Going to reuse all the hardware as its all in great shape. Probably will get it all powder coated.

Anyone have any suggestions for building wooden docks? I've never built any before but it seems quite straight forward. Would you go cedar? Or PT? I was hoping the cedar would be a little lighter weight and easier to move.

Edited by Levi900RR

I have seen a floating piece of dock with rope attached to it and the rope runs from each other section of dock on pulleys, (one end of rope to float, then goes to dock pulley on shore, then goes to other dock pulley by boat, then back to float on the other end of it.) you use the rope to pull yourself back and forth and the dock section can be fairly big to hold stuff people. Not sure if your run between the docks would be too long thou?

If you're going to get a dinghy to go back and forth to the boat, why do you need to leave a section of dock by the beach? Why not leave the whole dock out at the lift and just put a little mooring right at the shoreline for the dinghy? Or pull it up on shore and lock it up when you leave? Not sure the separate dock just for loading and unloading the dinghy would be worth it.

I like this. Beach it when not in use, plenty of room for stuff. Plus it's something else to do, if you have guests that aren't into power boats & water sports. Or even you, your wife and kids out tooling around, getting a little leg workout.

post-8942-0-48424700-1411414462.jpg

• Like 2

My goal is to stay dry. I can walk out on the dinghy dock, hop in row out and get in the bu with jeans on. If I have to wade into the water at all I loose that luxury.

AND, my wife can get on the boat with a dress on. Although I don't mind making the ladies change on the boat when we are headed to dinner... :biggrin:

My boat is moored at about 75ft from shore at our lakehouse. We did not get a dock yet as we are building further on the same lake and the boat will go to the new lakehouse the summer after the next. We have been using a rowboat to get to the moored boat all summer long. It is a PITA if your rowboat is not stable, so pay attention to that when you choose it, especially when you want to take older people to the boat. I would seriously encourage a small outboard motor, for those windy days when you have 6 other people on board and their stuff (+1000lbs). It gets hard to maneuver when the wind is blowing and you don't want to scare people with a shaking rowboat as you try to paddle to reach destination :biggrin:

My boat is moored at about 75ft from shore at our lakehouse. We did not get a dock yet as we are building further on the same lake and the boat will go to the new lakehouse the summer after the next. We have been using a rowboat to get to the moored boat all summer long. It is a PITA if your rowboat is not stable, so pay attention to that when you choose it, especially when you want to take older people to the boat. I would seriously encourage a small outboard motor, for those windy days when you have 6 other people on board and their stuff (+1000lbs). It gets hard to maneuver when the wind is blowing and you don't want to scare people with a shaking rowboat as you try to paddle to reach destination :biggrin:
you could also get a trolling motor.

There are a number of these on our lake. Their unbelievably slow. So much so that I can easily pass them on the paddleboard.

I've also found 2 of them abandoned (owner moved away), and eventually sold them.

I like this. Beach it when not in use, plenty of room for stuff. Plus it's something else to do, if you have guests that aren't into power boats & water sports. Or even you, your wife and kids out tooling around, getting a little leg workout.