Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I think I want a wedge

kwebster1

Ok guys. I've been searching for a while and can't find anything particular to my questions. I've wakeboard ed behind a 2013 tige z3. That boat has the most intense wakeboard wave I have ever been on. I have a 2000 23 lsv with no wedge at all. I'm trying to determine if I could build a wedge similar to tige. Reason being....there are quite a few underwater trees on the lake I typically ride. Seeing pics of others who have had their transoms ripped of do to malibu wedge...I'm not sure of that style is the direction I would want to go. If i can do a setup like tige taps, I think I would be more comfortable having it deployed. it seems like I could maybe pickup a Lenco cylinder and make a trim tab out of stainless with a hinge to the shape of my hull and be able to fine tune my wakeboard wave. But hey, I'm no genius, just a guy always looking to improve what I currently own. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Best regards

I would go with the stock Wedge, i have a 00 LSV and it comes in handy often when im not weighed down.. I understand you are saying there are trees and your afraid of it ripping off the wedge? Woudlnt that "tree" in theory hit your Prop and Rudder first?

Yes theoretically it would. I was going to add that all in to my post but did think it was all totally necessary. It's kind of a given. Maybe I should just build a manual wedge but wanted to at the very least exhaust my idea for potential tree damage and differing wedge ideas. I do know where to avoid on the lake but as I'm sure all of you know...not all other drivers of your boat know...

I've got a buddy that can weld stainless so we will be making out own. And probably our own surf gate system as well. That's why I'm wondering about the tige taps system and of that would work on our malibus being that we don't have that style of hull.

The Tige TAPS system won't work quite the same on your boat. It will do something to help push the nose down when you go fast, but you really don't need it. Tige boats are shaped convex, meaning the bottom is shaped like a bowl. Without the trim tab, then at speeds higher than wakeboarding it rocks back and forth from front to back (also called porpoising), unless you have something on the back of the boat to keep the nose down. Malibu hulls are not shaped like that. It won't make your wake bigger, but it might help to flatten it out when you slalom ski or if you want a more mellow wakeboard wake. If it were my money, I would get a wedge.

And a Z3 is sort of a mediocre wakeboarding boat. Without the trim tab to adjust the wake, it is not very decent. Steeper does not mean better.

Edited by TallRedRider

I absolutely have ballast. It's really not a bad wave. I just like making things better if possible. I run. 800 per side in the back 540 in ski locker and probably 700 to 800 lbs more toward the bow kinda in between the front seats running over toward the front center seat

Seeing pics of others who have had their transoms ripped of do to malibu wedge...

That's an urban legend. Can you link us some of these pics.?

The wedge rides much higher than any of the underwater gear.

IMG_0157.jpg

I had a 2000 WS VLX that didn't have a wedge from the factory so, I added a locking wedge. It really didn't help that much. What your boat really needs is a lot of ballast.

Oh ohhh,

I just noticed you list your boat as a 23LSV escape? Is it really an escape not, a wakestter?

That's a problem right there. Plus, I don't think you can put a wedge on an escape.

Pistol pete, in my world, anything can be done to anything...yes it is an escape. It may not be a full 540. That's just the sac that sits in there and I fill it up as much as possible.

Also, I just saw one ripped out of the back, I'll try to find it again.

Oh ohhh,

I just noticed you list your boat as a 23LSV escape? Is it really an escape not, a wakestter?

That's a problem right there. Plus, I don't think you can put a wedge on an escape.

Mine is an Escape, with wedge