Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teaching someone with weak wrists to ski ?

gonorth

Baddog, you are good! I like that beer opener idea!

I'll do some shoping for Clinchers and a BIG handle. That girl is not gonna give up and I want her to succeed next time she goes out with us.

Keep the ideas comeing!

My younger duaghter had trouble geting up on 2 skies, after two attempts she wanted to try one ski. I told her she was crazy but she insisted. So, I told her what to do and what to expect, her first two attempts on one ski she poped right out. She still thinks one ski is easier than two, in fact, I don't think she has ever successfully made it up on two.

I had another newbie last nite. Geeze high school and college age girls must really be week in the hands. (maybe they need lessons from Jack) This new first timer is quite athletic in volleyball, jumping, hiting, but still not much strength in her grip. After 5 tries I kind of noticed she was doing good with ski control but the water was puting a lot of force on her. I thought maybe I was being too gentile on the throtle and pushing water on her longer than necessary. So, I told her I was gonna give her more power and pop her right out of the water. It worked, she held on long enough to break the water and did well for a hundred yards. She was happy and wanted a rest. (62 degree water in a shortie wetsuit)

Later we did some tubeing, her and her boyfriend on the tube, I took it pretty easy. Then the boyfriend, really muscular got a little cocky abot how I chouldn't shag him off the tube by himself. Well them's challenge words to me. He stayed on 3, maybe 5 seconds max! Started him from the side then whiped him over the starting out wake. Everyone in the boat was busting their guts! Second time maybe 30 seconds, had to make one circle around back to the starting out wave that time. Then I actually let him stay on for a while after that. He said it was the most fun he had since he went unconscious hiting the water with is face after jumping off a 40' bridge.

on a more serious note here (but very ammusing at the same time) have you tried a bent handle? less tiring on anyone and better biomechanical alignment of the wrist which means more power

Hey Jack, you must be have some insight here. How did you manage to overcome your limp wrist problem? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...) Tongue.gif

OK, I was seriously thinking this too Jerry. Not about you Jack, of course :)

Geeze. . .you go out for a cup of coffee and come back to find the whole office laughing at your expense.

Lots of good suggestions above. Grip strength to weight ratio can definitely be a factor. As can balance, coordination, and throttle control. Some points above that I thought about as well:

Grip exercises can only help (and don't we all want her to have a tight grip?).

Arm pits over the boom is a sure thing. She may be able to shift to hanging on to the boom after getting up. Once she finds her balance on the water she will get up more easily. (GET A BOOM)

Men and women have a different center of gravity. Men can use upper body to muscle out the start where women have to balance differently, resist boat and use legs.

Too much throttle is bad. Too little throttle is bad. Perfect throttle with poor skier position is impossible. Skis too vertical, no way can she hang on, handle pops. Skis too horizontal, OTF.

Jerry did not add any advice in this thread because his center of balance is unique to him (or should I have said eunuch?). When getting up on the slalom ski (assuming the one-in-five that he makes it up) Jerry lays almost completely forward on the front of the ski. This is because he has no counter balance point up front and nothing butt massive balast out back. ROFL.gif Hey Jerry, 8:45 AM Friday 5/26, where are YOU? I'm writing this, looking up the lake and trying to decide if I want to lower the boat now or after another cup of coffee. . .

Edited by VinRLX

If you have access to one of the oversized fat slalom skis, it may help. Forget 2 skis...too much drag and/or too much to handle for someone struggling with grip in the first place. She needs a lot of stable planing surface with low drag and give her an easy slow start. I also agree completely with summergirl on the mind over matter thing. Tell her not to wait after the start to get up. If she has plenty of planing surface, tell her to get up immediately and not to drag waiting for speed. It is part of changing her mind set.

Hey Jerry, 8:45 AM Friday 5/26, where are YOU? I'm writing this, looking up the lake and trying to decide if I want to lower the boat now or after another cup of coffee. . .

Now that's just not fair. It's hard enough to make it through the day w/ TMC and now you want to make us all jealous.... :( Those of us that work anyways Innocent.gif ....

Well, what are you waiting for? Sounds to me like some butter is calling your name. Enjoy!

As it has been said before, we didn't say this skiing and boarding thing was easy, we just said it was cooool !!! Yahoo.gif

Well. . .skiing is. Biggrin.gif

Hey Jerry, 8:45 AM Friday 5/26, where are YOU? I'm writing this, looking up the lake and trying to decide if I want to lower the boat now or after another cup of coffee. . .

At 8:45am yesterday I was in the middle of my first of 4 sets in the clinic with skisix! Tongue.gif Well, maybe I should say 3 1/2 sets - my 3rd set got interrupted rather suddenly going around 4 ball. I'm still waiting to be able to breathe. Shocking.gif Pretty sure I got the award for the 'best' yardsale of the clinic. (Hoover had been the leader in the clubhouse.) Worst part is, my back is stiff as a board this morning, and the water is flat. Cry.gif

Unfortunately, we were not as lucky as the left coasters with the weather - lots of intermittent showers, and wind. Look for more detail in the other thread later.

Worst part is, my back is stiff as a board this morning, and the water is flat. Cry.gif

Now THAT is something I can relate to. Heat, wife massage, heat, beer, wife massage, heat and repeat. That or borrow Tommy Boy's Barcalounger(T). :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ordered some O'Brien 3/4 Skin, and 3/4 X-Grip gloves. Hope they help, anyone know if they are decent gloves? My younger daughter boarded so much last weekend that she was complaing about her skin hurting on her hands. (they had been boarding constantly, then she switched to slalom and me being used to how quick I could pop them out on board with the wedge down I about removed her hands from her arms on her slalom attempt)

My older daughter is trying to schmoooze a friend of hers into comeing up and bringing the university ski teams boom for a weekend. I'm pretty sure the team had a Response LX again this year so it should fit ours just fine.

ive broken my left wrist once, my right twice and torn the ligement in the right, have about 50% movement in the left , 20% in the right, im in in constant pain... I wakeboard, surf and ski , the clinchers work for me ;) gl ... I think the wake board is easier in the hands