Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Fuel Hose? Between Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter

Hello All,

I have been replacing fluids on my 'new to me' 98 sportster LX and have moved on to replacing the two fuel filters. The low pressure fuel filter above the rear gas tank was simple and I moved on to the one at the engine. On the high pressure fuel filter, I removed the bottom fitting no problem, but it appears the top brass fitting is quite rounded and the filter will not budge without stripping the top brass fitting farther. For now, I have removed the fuel filter AND the 6-7" fuel hose that makes a 180 degree turn back down into the top of the fuel pump.

Does anyone know where I can locate this 6" fuel hose with the fittings. I was wondering if I could find an OEM replacement before I go find similar automotive parts or do like a fuel line kit and cut the hose and install fittings myself. Any suggestions?

I have drawn a green arrow to the hose I want to replace in this image that I dug up from some other threads while looking around:

fuelhose.jpg

Nice pic.

Mr. Fresh, you live in the "motor state", you can take that hose to a hydraulics shop and have them fix / duplicate it if you can't easily find an exact OEM replacement at an auto parts store.

Yep... that's what it's looking like. I hoped to take the easy way out, click on some part online and have it show up in a box on my porch. Gonna go see what I can come up with from some shops around here.

Thanks guys, at this point I've got one made up and installed with the new high pressure fuel filter and is tested to be leak proof in my driveway.

It consists of (2x) GM style flared tube fuel line fittings with M16x1.5 locking nuts, (4x) high pressure rated hose clamps (2 per side), and about 7" of 3/8" A-rated fuel line to make the 180 degree bend.

It appears to work fine with the boat running in the driveway. My only worry is that I've used 3/8" fuel line where the OEM hose jumps up to like a 5/8 or so size after the fittings. I'm guessing this is because of the 180 degree bend, although my hose is not bent too sharp or getting flat at all so I am hoping the fuel flow is good. I will keep an eye on it once I'm on the lake.