Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 23' LSV - Considering Decal Removal - Thoughts?

Joshfishtail

Hey everyone,

About a month ago I bought a 2006 23' LSV. This is my first boat and I am in love with it. I really like the blue and black color scheme, and I am considering removing the tribal Wakesetter decals from the sides. I have seen pictures of other boats with the decals removed and really like how clean it looked, but have never seen it with my color scheme.

I wanted to get some input and see what you guys think! Decals or no? I am completely on the fence so your opinion is much appreciated. Also if anyone has pictures of a boat with my color scheme with the decals removed that would be a great help :).

Boat1_zps22d64058.jpg

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Not to hijack the thread but for those who have removed the decals on older boats have you had issues with a ghost outline on the gelcoat? Has it buffed out? I am thinking about removing mine also. Just curious.

I have the same boat (also new to me) and near identical color scheme except a maroon color instead of your blue (see my profile pic). I totally like the Naked look better. I have been trying to talk my wife/kids into it, but they prefer the sticker so I have not removed mine yet. I am hoping to use this thread to take another run at it.

One question, with a boat our age, I am a little worried about any shadowing on the black after taking it off? My boat guy told me we could buff it all out for a few hundred, but if anyone has any insights on that risk or how to handle that, please share?

thanks!

do it, I have a similar colors and it looks way better Naked!

boat4.jpg

boat1.jpg

Dang that looks great sitting in the water! Beautiful boat my friend, I think your picture may have made my decision for me.

Did you have any issues with shadowing as others have mentioned?

Thanks a lot

mine didn't take any buffing but getting all the glue off from the stickers was some work. It left an outline of glue but i got it off with bug/tar remover. then got her all waxed up.

Cool man, thanks. I think with my tinted windows it will accommodate the naked look as well.

Edited by Joshfishtail

I really like the look of jcon44's, mine doesn't have the chrome "malibu" on the rear sides though. I think it looks better with that than completely blank imo. Any idea where a guy picks a set of those up?

Thanks for all the responses, you guys rock.

Cool man, thanks. I think with my tinted windows it will accommodate the naked look as we'll.

Agreed, I tinted mine earlier this year. i just haven't taken any new pictures. your boat looks clean enough where you shouldn't have any fading in the gel to worry about. take some pics when its done and let us know how it looks! I love the black and vapor blue combo!!!

I really like the look of jcon44's, mine doesn't have the chrome "malibu" on the rear sides though. I think it looks better with that than completely blank imo. Any idea where a guy picks a set of those up?

I think they are fairly pricey. Bakesonline should have them. you might try to have DomedNumbers make you some. Probably get it done cheaper and look just as good. they could make you some matching reg numbers at the same time too.

also, mine is a screwed on piece of metal. Domed Numbers could make it as a 3D decal. no drilling!

Edited by jcon44

Bakes online has them I think.

I removed the decals off my 01' and buffed it out/waxed it up and you could never see the shadow. It was on yellow, but nonetheless, it wasn't visible.

I just got an 07 LSV with the same tribal decal and it is coming off this winter. I like the naked look with your blue/black combo and I think Longbeard is right - the tribal probably does date the boat a bit.

I would also pursue domed numbers. My screwed on metal "Malibu" has a few sharp edges that I need to file down. The gash on my hand from sliding across them is positive proof.

I am in the minority. I like to stock look of the decals. It may be a little dated since the tribal look was in back then but that's the vintage of boat. I think that a naked boat is plain looking, like it's missing something. Updated graphics remind me the the kids that used to put 5.0 badges on a civic. Trying to be something it's not. Your boat is beautiful the way it sits. But I would remove the pinstripe in the trailer.