Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

multi function gauge malfunction

lifted95

Has anyone run across this problem before? I have a 99 response lx and the multi function gauge is starting to act up. For instance, the fuel level changes from when im sitting still to going up to speed and the temp rises when the blower is on and drops when you turn the blower off. Now my perfect pass display is dim to the point I can't see it anymore. I have checked the plug ends for corrosion and everything is clean. Checked grounds as well. Spoke with my local dealer and a new gauge is available but I'd rather keep the original one. Plus a new gauge doesn't fix the perfect pass problem.

Thanks for yalls responses. Before I tear my boat apart, could you tell me where yall had the ground loose. I've checked the ground plate under the dash and the negative cable at the battery and engine block already. Thanks guys

Well guys I have tracked down the perfect pass problem I hope. Who ever wired the module in made a jumper wire for the ground and it was loose. Still have multi function problem though. I forgot about the oil pressure gauge jumping around as well. I have removed the dash and disconnected the gauge but same result. Thinking of ordering the new gauge.

When I go after electrical problems I typically start at one end and work to the other. Mores specifically start at the engine block ground and work to the battery then to the dash inspecting, cleaning, loosening and tightening each connection. PITA but the only way to make sure your hitting every possible point of failure. Once you've completed this do the same for the positive circuit. If you have butt connector they can be a wild card. Loose or corroded butt connectors will product similar issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. I found the problem with the perfect pass. loose ground. someone had put a jumper wire over to the remote bracket and then to the ground post under the dash. Still haven't found the gauge problem though.

Mine had a problem with the ignition switch that caused similar issues. One symptom was that I could insert the key upside down, and the boat would start, but no gages would work. Even with it right side up, sometime the gages would screw up, cheap part to replace.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. I found the problem with the perfect pass. loose ground. someone had put a jumper wire over to the remote bracket and then to the ground post under the dash. Still haven't found the gauge problem though.