Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat - is it a steal?

5inthesun

I don't understand missing seats.

was the seller so lazy they couldn't put the seats in for the sale photo?

why did they even take them out?

are they damaged, so they didn't put them in the photo?

do they not even have the seats?

I'm thinking they took the seat cushions out to show how nice and clean it is under there. Good idea, but they should have included a photo with the cushions in place in order to show the condition.

When I bought mine I talked to my mechanic ( he was the main guy at the dealer and went out on his own) he said the main issue with salt water use is that it will make even the small repairs that much more difficult, and thus more costly. He said if the boat was a good enough buy, I "should not let that scare me off"....of course, that would mean each repair would earn him more money, so I took that with a grain of salt (literally).

I think its funny that salt water would scare people off when the boat is designed for it. And it will be easy to tell if its been maintained.

I guess its no different than me walking away from boats with snaps on them, considering how many boats have cracked gel coat and scratched up windshield frames

• Like 2

Missing seats are just the half of it. They took the front seats too and the frame around the ballast (you can see the tank and pump for the bow ballast).

Wake Rake?

They don't even know what they're selling.

Not a steal:

1. Clueless seller (wake rake? Memphis Stereo? WTF?). If they don't care enough to learn the specifics of the boat, they don't care much about it.

2. Missing seats and cover. Who knows whether those exist.

3. 350 motor

4. Obvious salt use (coastal area, look at the other boats in pics, galv. trailer)

5. For 10-12 grand more you could get a well-cared for freshwater LSV w/ surfgate

6. No hours listed

Maybe it would be considered a steal at $40k.

Not a steal:

1. Clueless seller (wake rake? Memphis Stereo? WTF?). If they don't care enough to learn the specifics of the boat, they don't care much about it.

2. Missing seats and cover. Who knows whether those exist.

3. 350 motor

4. Obvious salt use (coastal area, look at the other boats in pics, galv. trailer)

5. For 10-12 grand more you could get a well-cared for freshwater LSV w/ surfgate

6. No hours listed

Maybe it would be considered a steal at $40k.

I think that is the 383 HP Hammerhead engine, although the fact he doesn't list what engine it is intensifies the idea that he is clueless. At least the engine cover is identical to every HH engine I have seen.

X 2 on the 'wake rake' thing.

I've been pretty serious about buying a few big ticket items online, and when they don't put a phone number, I just assume that they are overly paranoid, not smart enough to disguise their phone number, or they are in Nigeria and will get me the boat after I send a down payment. I just pass on by when there is no phone number.

I think that is the 383 HP Hammerhead engine

Last year for the Hammerhead was 2009. 2010 had the LCR, Monsoon, LS3, Big Block and LS7.

LS3 and LS7 are very easy to identify (and would be a super rare boat to have the LS7, as that was not a common option). Big block is a noticeably bigger motor, plus all three are coil-near-plug motors, so you'd see the coil packs/wires on top of the valve covers (and those aren't GEN-III+ valve covers nor BB valve covers) That leaves the Monsoon and LCR. Can't be the LCR as the Monsoon was the base motor, so that boat has the Monsoon.

• Like 2

I'll go with others on the salt water issue. Boats ran in salt water depreciate quicker and that's a fact. Go to Florida and see how often they repower or change out heat exchangers. And it's not just the running gear seats, rails, fittings and things you wouldn't begin to think of fall apart. Then on these boats you have the ballast systems and all the electronics to think of. Personally I'd rather pay more for a non salt water boat than hope someone took proper (meticulous) care of the used boat I was looking at.

If it looks too good to be true, it typically is.

I dont see those problems with boats that are used on salt water & taken care of. Stored & neglected on salt water is a different story.

Here you go, 6 yrs old, used to ski on Wilochet Bay by Gig Harbor.....and rinsed & cleaned afterwards. He was at the Banks Lake WOW a couple years ago & nobody knew anything about it. Galvanized, painted trailer, salt water package & 3 big zincs on the stern.

IMG_401725684104635_zpsytypvxlr.jpeg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky