Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Economy

Anyone have any scientific data on what the optimum speed/RPM is on a V-drive Malibu with a 340 horsepower monsoon engine is for fuel economy?

Edited by DC9669

Answer:

Optimum speed = 0mph.

Optimum RPM = idle

C'mon, man, sometimes you gotta just throw the hammer down!

Edited by Pistol Pete

You'll get really good fuel economy if you kep the key in the "off" position.

Just don't power turn unless there's a dangerous situation or you feel you have to. Also ease your rider's out of the water, no need to rip their arms out of their sockets. Turn the motor off when riders are in / out of the boat or the boat does not need to be running.

Beyond that, Fogetta-bout-it and have fun.

You'll get really good fuel economy if you kep the key in the "off" position.

Just don't power turn unless there's a dangerous situation or you feel you have to. Also ease your rider's out of the water, no need to rip their arms out of their sockets. Turn the motor off when riders are in / out of the boat or the boat does not need to be running.

Beyond that, Fogetta-bout-it and have fun.

Turning the motor on and off is a good way to shorten it's life. there is a few seconds at start up where the oil galleries are not full of that lubricating oil. better to let it idle when changing boarders, fuel is cheaper than rebuild.

I disagree,

The engine will only have been off for a moment. Better to shut it down and not deal with people's fear of a possible prop turning just because the engine is idling. Plus, you save a few cents for every time the engine is not on and you're not breathing in the fumes.

My dad told me once if you can afford the boat you can afford the gas. That said who cares what the MPG is just go and have fun. If you are unable to afford gas you should sell the boat. Cry.gif

Turning the motor on and off is a good way to shorten it's life. there is a few seconds at start up where the oil galleries are not full of that lubricating oil. better to let it idle when changing boarders, fuel is cheaper than rebuild.

That may have been true many years ago when engines were not as efficient, a sloppy carburator regulated the fuel/air mixture, and high tech oil that clings to engine parts was not available. Idling many years ago may have been more fuel efficient.

However, with fuel injection, high tech oils, computer controlled ignition, and the fact the motor is already warm, turning it on and off is acutally more fuel efficient and does not harm the engine. That's exactly what a hybrid does every time you push or pull from the gas, so it's engine will be starting and stopping hundreds of thousands of times in its lifetime.

what is a 'hybrid'? Is is called something different here in Australia?

here is means a petrol and electric combo of motors in a car. (plus other obvious reasons)

My dad told me once if you can afford the boat you can afford the gas. That said who cares what the MPG is just go and have fun. If you are unable to afford gas you should sell the boat. Cry.gif

There is always one of you in every crowd! If you don't have anything constructive to say go flame somewhere else.

Edited by DC9669

4Runner,

Over here, we call a gas+electric car a hybrid.

You might want to fill out the "personal" info. about your boat and where you're from so we all know and can help with your questions in the future.

I don't really understand why your complaining about the price of gas. I just dropped 40K plus for your V ride and now your thinking of the price of gas? I sorry if I offend you but come on man that makes no sence. If your worried about money maybe you should have bought a runabout and not a performance wake board boat.

Just my two cents.

agian sorry if I offend you

I can tell you that 23 mph with 2000+ lbs of ballast, a lower pitched prop, and as many bikinis as possible does not make for good gas milage. Innocent.gif

That said, I have often wondered the same thing. If you have to get from point A to point B and are worried about running out of gas, what is the best speed to drive at?

My dad works for the department of the navy doing hull design to improve effeciency of ships like air craft carriers and freighters so I figured he would be a good person to ask. Since he did alot of work with the "bulbous bows" you see affixed to many ships these days to improve fuel economy I figured I could get some good info out of him. Unfortunately He said there are so many variables between different types of boats we can't know for sure without substantial testing.

However, there are two speeds which are likely to yeild the best mpg as comapred to the rest of them.

the first and most boring is idle speed before the boat even attempts to start coming up on a plane and is still displacing pretty much its full weight wort of water. It takes minimal force to push the boat along at this speed so eve nthough it is slow you only use as much gas as the engine needs to stay running.

The second candidate is the minimum speed neccessary to stay on plane without riding bow high which in my boat can be between 25-30 mph depending on weighting.

Unfortuantely idle speed is probably the winner if you REALLY need to save fuel (i.e. about to run out of gas) but If you want to cruise somewhere AND be economical go just over planing speed.

One more thought.

Ever since I ran out of gas on the water years ago, I carry 5 gals. spare in the boat. This weekend with the extra ballast I'll have, I'm carrying a 5 gallong can in the trunk to supplement the 5 gallons I always have with me. If I don't end up using it, I dump it in the truck when I get home. She's just as fuel ineffecient.

cans

Edited by Pistol Pete