Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Invite your wife's fat friends....

Setter02

How easy is it to surf without adding extra ballast?

I have been reading through the threads, but seems like everyone's boat has more internal ballast, more settings on their wedge or is adding tons of extra bags.

I have a 2002 23LSV with the MLS and my wedge is either up or down.

The MLS has a 500 lb. bag in the ski locker and 2/200 lb. hard tanks in the back.

Since I am usually out with kids and other family's, the storage is important. How hard is it to surf with just my current setup?

From what I can find through the search function, my best bet is to fill the 500 lb. ski locker bag and the surf side hard tank with the wedge down. I surf goofy foot, so I would fill the port side hard tank.

I have tried to surf it by standing on my kneeboard, but couldn't get enough push to let go of the rope for more than a second or 2.

I know there are tons of threads about this, but I only found 1 that would apply to me and it had limited posts. Any thoughts?

How easy is it to surf without adding extra ballast?

I have been reading through the threads, but seems like everyone's boat has more internal ballast, more settings on their wedge or is adding tons of extra bags.

The MLS has a 500 lb. bag in the ski locker and 2/200 lb. hard tanks in the back.

Since I am usually out with kids and other family's, the storage is important. How hard is it to surf with just my current setup?

From what I can find through the search function, my best bet is to fill the 500 lb. ski locker bag and the surf side hard tank with the wedge down. I surf goofy foot, so I would fill the port side hard tank.

I have tried to surf it by standing on my kneeboard, but couldn't get enough push to let go of the rope for more than a second or 2.

I know there are tons of threads about this, but I only found 1 that would apply to me and it had limited posts. Any thoughts?

#1.) Get a proper wakesurf board. This will make a big difference. Check out the inland surfer boards, with your boat a blue lake might be all you need.

#2) Get some extra bags. Fill them up when you are surfing, drain them when you are not. They pack down very flat.

#3) It will be easier to surf with extra ballast when learning.

#4) It should be possible to surf that boat but like I said you will need a proper surfboard for a boat with a smaller wave.

#5) Go make friends with people that like to eat a golden corral for every meal. Dynamic ballast or fat people.

• Like 2

I don't know how to surf nor desire to have any Ballast in my boat at all. However If I had a boat full of fatties I am not sure I would even want to be in there in the first place.

• Like 3

You can surf that boat with stock ballast, wedge, and a handful of occupants. I've done it no problem. If you have 4 adults, put them on the surf side, spread from back to front. Put 200lbs of kids in the bow. That should do it. We use a Hyperlite Broadcast board, 5'4". Have the driver turn in a slow curve towards the surf side too, that helps. It's totally doable, especially if you are just having some fun & messing around with it. If you get serious about it, you'll get bored and want the extra fatties on board. BYODoughnuts.

• Like 2

Using what you have: Ski locker sack full, wedge down, and starboard side full (since you surf goofy), port side empty.

I'm not a serious surfer YET... But in the immortal words of Sergeant Murtaugh, "I'm getting to old for this s#+t". I still love wake boarding, but I'm looking for something to do behind the boat that's a bit more easy on the joints.

I need to get a good surfboard. I know that will help. Maybe if I cancel my wife's gym membership, I can use that money for a surf board. Two birds - one stone!

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Like 2

Get yourself a set of the Wicked Wakesurf devices (or just the port side if you only expect to surf the goofy side), fill all the ballast you have, and have everyone sit wherever they want in the boat. Then get yourself a proper wakesurf board and you are all set.

We use a Hyperlite Broadcast board, 5'4". Have the driver turn in a slow curve towards the surf side too, that helps.

The slow turn helps a LOT in a boat without much factory ballast. Sucks for everyone else on the lake, but it is what it is I suppose.

With only factory ballast, a few guys in the boat, and that slow turn, we could go ropeless for stretches behind my vRide when I was first learning to surf, and your hull will produce a better wave that mine.

The polite anacronime is TFF...token fat friend.

Feel like I should take a set of scales with me when we start to surf this season and do some pre-weight checks of teh crew so I can plan the ballast placement. I haven't been allowed to see how much my wife weighs for 15 years though so I will just take punt she is 45kg to be safe ;)

Edited by brad72

Wal-Mart ice cream isle works great for finding these TFF's

I think any aisle at Walmart would work. Be especially on the lookout for the ones riding the scooters up and down the aisles.

I think any aisle at Walmart would work. Be especially on the lookout for the ones riding the scooters up and down the aisles.

Won't work. Scooter fatty's are not able to get in the boat unless you have a dock. And if they get in the water to swim you are screwed. Try rolling a 400 bag into your swim deck and let me know how it goes.

Won't work. Scooter fatty's are not able to get in the boat unless you have a dock. And if they get in the water to swim you are screwed. Try rolling a 400 bag into your swim deck and let me know how it goes.

Maybe the local marina has a forklift available.