Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Let's talk MEFI

justgary

• 9 months later...

Is now.  @justgary did you ever try out the MEFI3 software on your Monsoon and see what it'd yield?  Thinking of building a cable and pulling data from mine.  My engine was replaced a few  years ago by a previous owner, but I never did get an exact hour reading from it.  I want to pull the hours so I can adjust my PerfectPass clock accordingly to be the official timekeeper.

Other question.  I know that with the diacom software, they can plot engine hours at various RPM ranges.  Anyone ever figured out how to get that info using freebie software?

5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Is now.  @justgary did you ever try out the MEFI3 software on your Monsoon and see what it'd yield?  Thinking of building a cable and pulling data from mine.  My engine was replaced a few  years ago by a previous owner, but I never did get an exact hour reading from it.  I want to pull the hours so I can adjust my PerfectPass clock accordingly to be the official timekeeper.

Other question.  I know that with the diacom software, they can plot engine hours at various RPM ranges.  Anyone ever figured out how to get that info using freebie software?

I’d be interested in this as well.  

@UWSkier if you end up building the cord let me know where you source the parts.  I haven’t tried all the links in the thread yet. 

9 hours ago, RedWakesetterVLX said:

I’d be interested in this as well.  

@UWSkier if you end up building the cord let me know where you source the parts.  I haven’t tried all the links in the thread yet. 

Mouser had all the parts except the pins which are backordered till late Sept. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my own experience to the thread, I built the cord and after getting in touch with @GaryDoug he shared his program for the MEFI 4 ECM. Cord and program worked like a charm, I'm reading live engine data and only cost me 30 bucks in parts! Big thanks to Gary for his help on this and sharing his program with others, glad there is such a knowledgeable member of the crew 

On 5/13/2020 at 7:17 PM, UWSkier said:

I'm almost positive that Indmar never used MEFI3 on any Malibu boats.  They went from MEFI2 to MEFI4.

I have not bothered to play with anything MEFI for quite some time, although I'm still interested.

MEFI2 does not keep engine hours by RPM range as far as I can tell.  It's only running hours.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:49 PM, justgary said:

I'm almost positive that Indmar never used MEFI3 on any Malibu boats.  They went from MEFI2 to MEFI4.

I have not bothered to play with anything MEFI for quite some time, although I'm still interested.

MEFI2 does not keep engine hours by RPM range as far as I can tell.  It's only running hours.

When I bought my boat (2000 WS VLX)I had the dealership pull the Dicom readout and it gave engine hours by RPM range.  

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX

Correct. The MEFI-3 only gives the total engine hours (minutes). It does not give anything else. MEFI-4 however does store and make available the engine hours by RPM range. MEFI4 has at least twice the amount of configuration data as the MEFI3.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/gaf0agr3ahn4a29/MEFI-3_and_MEFI-4_engine_data.png/file

https://www.mediafire.com/view/74bvuakdqf8hyw6/MEFI-3_and_MEFI-4_engine_status.png/file

https://www.mediafire.com/view/fddv89xna8fbnis/MEFI-3_and_MEFI-4_ECM_configuration_and_storage.png/file

Edited by GaryDoug
add image links
10 minutes ago, GaryDoug said:

Correct. The MEFI-3 only gives the total engine hours (minutes). It does not give anything else. MEFI-4 however does store and make available the engine hours by RPM range. MEFI4 has at least twice the amount of data as the MEFI3.

I swear I've seen DIACOM reports showing engine operating time by RPM range for older Monsoons like @RedWakesetterVLX posted above.  These are MEFI-2 engines from what @justgary has found.  I've seen these posted as images in ads on boats for sale in the past.  Unless I dreamt this.  @RedWakesetterVLX do you still happen to have that printout somewhere?

It's possible I am wrong about the data but I do have an actual MEFI-3 in my boat and that was the first one I created. I can go back and capture the raw data and see if anything is there that is not displayed in my app. It may take me a while to get around to that however.

Followup: Well since I am home in isolation, I have a lot of time. So I went to the boat and tried every combination of data request that was likely to produce results and did not get anything back that looked promising. I wish I had the hours/rpm data myself, but Oh well.

And I would guess that a year 2000 Wakesetter boat engine would probably have the MEFI-4 anyway.

Edited by GaryDoug
On 5/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, UWSkier said:

Mouser had all the parts except the pins which are backordered till late Sept. 

Really? I just checked and they have over 40,000 in stock now. Are you sure you searched for the right part? It is # 12045773-L

Make sure you are looking at the right line. It may say that some are on order and/or a big lead time but still have a bunch in stock now.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-12045773

Edited by GaryDoug
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

I swear I've seen DIACOM reports showing engine operating time by RPM range for older Monsoons like @RedWakesetterVLX posted above.  These are MEFI-2 engines from what @justgary has found.  I've seen these posted as images in ads on boats for sale in the past.  Unless I dreamt this.  @RedWakesetterVLX do you still happen to have that printout somewhere?

@UWSkier No I don’t.  Rookie mistake.  It was an out of state purchase and the dealership texted me the screenshot of the readout and when I picked up the boat I completely forgot to get the hard copy.  I’m still pissed about it! Lol  

I specifically remember going over it with a friend about engine rpm/hour intervals though so I know it was done.  

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX
1 hour ago, GaryDoug said:

It's possible I am wrong about the data but I do have an actual MEFI-3 in my boat and that was the first one I created. I can go back and capture the raw data and see if anything is there that is not displayed in my app. It may take me a while to get around to that however.

Followup: Well since I am home in isolation, I have a lot of time. So I went to the boat and tried every combination of data request that was likely to produce results and did not get anything back that looked promising. I wish I had the hours/rpm data myself, but Oh well.

And I would guess that a year 2000 Wakesetter boat engine would probably have the MEFI-4 anyway.

Does anyone know the year/model breakdown of when Indmar used the different versions of MEFI? 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:34 AM, GaryDoug said:

Really? I just checked and they have over 40,000 in stock now. Are you sure you searched for the right part? It is # 12045773-L

Make sure you are looking at the right line. It may say that some are on order and/or a big lead time but still have a bunch in stock now.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/829-12045773

Weird.  That's the exact same line item I was looking at a few weeks back and the date was a few months out.  Must have been COVID supply chain issues or something.  Still thinking of building one of these, but if my system is indeed MEFI2, then I don't think it'll help me much as I don't have the time to write a frontend.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Weird.  That's the exact same line item I was looking at a few weeks back and the date was a few months out.  Must have been COVID supply chain issues or something.  Still thinking of building one of these, but if my system is indeed MEFI2, then I don't think it'll help me much as I don't have the time to write a frontend.

The program for MEFI2 that @GaryDoug posted some time back does work.  I'm not sure that everything is exactly correct, but I just tested it on my engine (basically key on only since I didn't have a water supply).

• 3 weeks later...

My boats at the shop. Any idea what MEFI version my 2013 23 LSV with Monsoon350 has?  Is the version on the ECM? I am going to purchases the Diacom software so I can clear and run codes myself. 

Edited by dwc032
2 hours ago, dwc032 said:

My boats at the shop. Any idea what MEFI version my 2013 23 LSV with Monsoon350 has?  Is the version on the ECM? I am going to purchases the Diacom software so I can clear and run codes myself. 

Don't bother with DIACOM: https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered the parts for the cable, and grabbed both the MEFI2 and MEFI3 software posted by @GaryDoug.  Will build up the cable with a diode on the orange line.  Is it really just three pins total for this?  No need to bridge A and B together?

12 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Ordered the parts for the cable, and grabbed both the MEFI2 and MEFI3 software posted by @GaryDoug.  Will build up the cable with a diode on the orange line.  Is it really just three pins total for this?  No need to bridge A and B together?

Two pins.  Three if you want to put a switch in to jumper A to B for service mode (to set base timing, for example).

25 minutes ago, justgary said:

Two pins.  Three if you want to put a switch in to jumper A to B for service mode (to set base timing, for example).

aah, I see.  Orange and Yellow together to a common pin.  Diode on orange.  Think I'll wire in a jumper with a quick connector to bridge A and B.

Cable built up.  Had to find an old Windows laptop and get it up to snuff with software.  Testing tomorrow.  Might even give me some insights on my holeshot performance issues.

It works!  :)

And my ECU has fewer hours on it than I expected it would, so that's cool too.  472 hours total and this block was new 4 seasons ago.

No error codes though.  Should I need to jumper the A and B pins to read the codes even with this setup?  Or is my ECU reporting a clean bill of health?

The scanning capability is super cool.  I'm thinking of getting an extended length USB cable so I can run the boat with my little Windows 7 netbook on the dash while I'm out testing.

Edited by UWSkier