Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VLX ballast in bow

Murphy8166

Going to take care if the bow weight over the winter with a new bag and reversible pump.

I have 1100lbs in the rear which we usuallmy fill partially for wake surfing and some weight under the seats on pass side.

Will the bow big in the nose take care of any situation where I need weight in the nose? Not interested in a bag in the coffin area.

I doubt we will fill it full, just nice to have the capacity

I have the big triangle sac and rarely use is, a 400lb sac i feel is all you need if you are listing the boat, but for wakeboarding the triangle sac is the way to go.

Edited by jb 156

NO LEAD....... use only water. Do you have factory ballast up there already and looking for added weight or are you putting weight up there for the first time?

Here is why we dont use lead especially when you are maxing out your boats weight capacity...

From another thread....

THE SAFETY FACTOR:

Water has neutral buoyancy. If you ever capsize, or fill your boat with water (ie: hull puncture or other)...... if you have water in your fatsacks, it is the same weight as the water that has just filled your cockpit, so no net change in buoyancy. Won't try to sink you, or won't keep you afloat.

However, if you have LEAD in your boat.... it's the same as 11 times as much water in the same space. Say goodbye to your precious Malibu. Not a good idea.

Now the CONVENIENCE FACTOR: Water is everywhere. Your boat is floating in it. To use it, you stick in a hose and turn on a pump. To get rid of it you do the reverse. Use lead, and well..... you are stuck with it. Gotta load it in the boat, gotta transport it in the boat (or car) to get to the ramp. Somebody's gonna drop one of those lead weights on your precious gunnel (or on their toes), and the result isn't pretty. Wy bother?

I use this bow bag setup for both wakeboarding and surfing:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39656-2012-vlx-integrated-ballast-install/

I don't have a picture of it, but when surfing I fold one side of the triangle bag under itself so that it only fills on the side I want the weight. I then fill it to probably 200-300 lbs. This combined with the stock tanks and 750's in the rear works really well and I don't need to swap out different bags in the nose. One difference is that I am now using the top fill/drain port at the front of that bag instead of the bottom one as in those pictures.

Edited by Brett B

NO LEAD....... use only water. Do you have factory ballast up there already and looking for added weight or are you putting weight up there for the first time?

Here is why we dont use lead especially when you are maxing out your boats weight capacity...

From another thread....

THE SAFETY FACTOR:

Water has neutral buoyancy. If you ever capsize, or fill your boat with water (ie: hull puncture or other)...... if you have water in your fatsacks, it is the same weight as the water that has just filled your cockpit, so no net change in buoyancy. Won't try to sink you, or won't keep you afloat.

However, if you have LEAD in your boat.... it's the same as 11 times as much water in the same space. Say goodbye to your precious Malibu. Not a good idea.

Now the CONVENIENCE FACTOR: Water is everywhere. Your boat is floating in it. To use it, you stick in a hose and turn on a pump. To get rid of it you do the reverse. Use lead, and well..... you are stuck with it. Gotta load it in the boat, gotta transport it in the boat (or car) to get to the ramp. Somebody's gonna drop one of those lead weights on your precious gunnel (or on their toes), and the result isn't pretty. Wy bother?

Good thing Pop Bags are filled with steel.....

My opinion, I went with this. I still like having the storage of the anchor and dock lines, etc, in the bow, so before I fill I just put those items under the center filler cushion and then fill. It won't fill full under the seats, but does a good job. If I only have a small crew and nobody upfront, I fill the bag on top of the seats and fill to capacity. Just a thought.

The picture is from the wakemakers site, not my own

2010-Malibu-VLX-Integrated-bow-sac.JPG

NO LEAD....... use only water.

Better pull that motor out of the boat too - it's just a big weight in the back. We have seen pictures here of MALIBU boats SINKING TO THE BOTTOM with NO BALLAST in them. How did that work out? Even if it doesn't sink, the boat will be totaled regardless.

Lead Wake bags are easy to move. They aren't lead bars so dropping them on your foot isn't nearly the issue. But it sure is easy and takes up very little space having a couple hundred pounds to move around. I have four 50lb bags and will likely get two more over the winter. 200-300lbs isn't a lot extra to keep in the boat (it's like one extra passenger).

Here is some reality, if your boat has a Monsoon vs LS3, you are looking at a ~150lb difference in motor weight (Monsoon is the old GEN-I SBC, iron block, iron heads, aluminum intake - LS3 is aluminum heads/block and composite intake). So right off the bat, you could safely add 150lbs of lead to an LS3 (or LS1) boat just to get back to stock Monsoon weight levels.

Lead shouldn't be used as the main weight - it should be used to tweak the wake. Easy to move around quickly and get the weight where you need it and can be stored away easily as well. It may not be for everyone but I think a lot of people look past it without really thinking about what it can do for them.

• Like 1

Better pull that motor out of the boat too - it's just a big weight in the back. We have seen pictures here of MALIBU boats SINKING TO THE BOTTOM with NO BALLAST in them. How did that work out? Even if it doesn't sink, the boat will be totaled regardless.

Lead Wake bags are easy to move. They aren't lead bars so dropping them on your foot isn't nearly the issue. But it sure is easy and takes up very little space having a couple hundred pounds to move around. I have four 50lb bags and will likely get two more over the winter. 200-300lbs isn't a lot extra to keep in the boat (it's like one extra passenger).

Here is some reality, if your boat has a Monsoon vs LS3, you are looking at a ~150lb difference in motor weight (Monsoon is the old GEN-I SBC, iron block, iron heads, aluminum intake - LS3 is aluminum heads/block and composite intake). So right off the bat, you could safely add 150lbs of lead to an LS3 (or LS1) boat just to get back to stock Monsoon weight levels.

Lead shouldn't be used as the main weight - it should be used to tweak the wake. Easy to move around quickly and get the weight where you need it and can be stored away easily as well. It may not be for everyone but I think a lot of people look past it without really thinking about what it can do for them.

Thats what I will do with my new boat. Move bags of lead around to dial the wave. I will have maybe 450 or so and thats all I will need.