Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Ballast to 23vRide

The Casems

any help would be appreciated...we got a 2009 23vRide and she has 900lbs factory ballast hard tanks. 500lbs in the center and 400lbs in the rear. Thinking of adding an additional 1,200 lbs in the rear 600 lbs starboard and 600lbs port side with ballast bags from wakemakers.com. Adding these ballast bags for both wake size and wake surf wave. its usually my wife and i riding occasionally have 2 or 3 other people on the boat. you guys think 1,200 lbs is enough. i got a 350 monsoon engine, plus wedge.

~aloha~

You'll probably want some bow weight

If you're going to run that much additional in the rear tanks, you will definitely need some bow weight. Triangle sac would work good. I think those are 1,100#

You'll probably need more rear weight... In the corner (top of seat preferably).

Your wake "surf" wake is a process of trial and error. Ballast weight, prop, wedge and boat speed all contribute to your wake size, shape and length!

It's a slow process but be patient and you'll get it just right.

I have a 247 LSV (non surf gate), and after a whole season, finally got it where I want it.....and it took a lot of weight!

Remember this... The more rear weight (lockers, etc) & wedge position, the taller the wave... Bow weight and/or boat speed dictate the length of the wave. The key is to establish "push" so you can easily ride whatever wave you can produce.... then continue to find the balance between increasing the height (more push), and lengthening the wake (larger sweet spot), using ballast, speed, etc.

One other tip is to use "human" weight to dial your wave in... it will cut your dialing in time a whole lot. Have your crew just move around to different spots while you experiment. (before you heavily invest in bags).

Good luck!

Mahalo guys! thanks for the quick response...i was born and raised a surfer and i've surfed waves from the Atlantic to the Philippines. my wife converted me to wakeboarding and now wake surfing...i don't even have to get my hair wet :)

i'll experiment with speed/wedge/more ballast in rear and bow, and i'll grab my fat a** redneck friends to weigh it down.