Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS3 Engine Reliability/Known Issues

DAI

This is not so much a question on whether I should get the LS3 engine or not (already have it), more of a question of whether I should extended the warranty coverage on it, in addition to the rest of the boat. Does anyone know:

- How long the engine been around?

- Any known issues over time?

Also, for those who have the engine, what I would like to also hear is how reliable has it been for you?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have the MP LS3 in my LSV and have had no problems. I have 100 hours on the boat and have done nothing other than regularly scheduled maintenance. I know there was a problem with the indmar LS3s overheating but it seems like that has been taken care of. Other than that I haven't heard of any other complaints about the LS3.

Motor was released in the C6 Corvette in 2008 - 2013, 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, 2010+ Camaro SS 6-speed. Marine version introduced in 2010. Very similar to the L92 that was offered in various GM trucks/SUV's from 2007 - 2014. Simply put, it has been around for a while.

There were some 1st year issues Indmar had that have since been resolved. You have a single year motor MP, so hard to say if it will/won't have any issues introduced by MP. The GM side should be rock solid.

Dai- how much would it cost you to extend the coverage? Is it through a dealer you are doing this?

Yes, dealer is offering it (coverage by another company) for little over $3k and it will extend the current warranty 3-years and provide additional coverage in the manufacturer warranty. It will cover everything on the boat, including the electronics with the Malibu systems.

I'd be more worried about the electronics but would put the 3k in the bank or against the note and assume you are not going to see 3k worth of issues in 3 years.

Paid for the boat in full . . . The electronics are also my concern, on top of the engine. But I get your point on keeping the cash in the bank, and I do that with everything else (e.g. cars, electronics), but being my first boat purchase debating whether the potential money out of pocket over the long term is worth the piece of mind.

Yes, dealer is offering it (coverage by another company) for little over $3k and it will extend the current warranty 3-years and provide additional coverage in the manufacturer warranty. It will cover everything on the boat, including the electronics with the Malibu systems.

3k way too much, IMO

LS3 with 187 trouble free hours on two seasons. Great engine....great reliability. Hold on the the $3K and use it if needed. More times than not you win by not buying extended warranties.

The insurance company is in the business of making money. They have done their best research to say that you will have less than 3K worth of problems over the next 3 years and they will make money. That is when averaged out over all of their customers. Somebody will blow up something and suffer 15K, but another 7 will have nothing go wrong, so they make money.

Never insure what you can afford to replace. Since you own the boat outright, I suspect that $XXXXX would not sink you financially (how much is an LS3 to replace?)

FYI. Myself and a couple other boats at my dealer had the same problem of the top alternator bolt shearing on the LS3. It was both the indmar and marine power. Luckily, it backs out easily. I replaced mine with an ARP stainless steel head stud. I used plenty of anti seize Becuase of the dissimilar metals. Just something to check if you have the LS3.

If you bought the boat out right, then you can probably afford to self insure. My philosophy is only insure against events that would change your lifestyle if they occur. Otherwise, always self insure and you will come out ahead over the long run. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I never buy extended warranties. To me this is a pure revenue generator for the dealer. Take the 3k and invest in a balanced fund and then you would have it incase you need it.

JK

I have purchased multiple extended warranties on vehicles and have always lost in the end. And I keep my vehicles for quite awhile. The warranties have never payed for themselves. I will never buy another extended warranty on any vehicle or boat. I believe this holds even more true if you take care of and maintain your vehicle and toys. Chances are slim to none you will ever have a $3k repair on your engine while you own the boat.

Edited by Fman

I was sitting here thinking I'd never bought any extra warranties, but then I remembered I did it ONCE..

It was one of those warranty/protection plans for a Nintendo DS Lite we bought for my son when he was 5. I was almost sure it would find its way into the toilet or something. Sure enough, my son decided one day that the device needed cleaning... so he washed it like he would his hands, with soap and water! Best Buy replaced it, no questions asked. He learned a valuable lesson about electronics. LOL.

He's 10 now, and we laugh about that experience alot.

Bottom line... skip the extra warranty, unless you're sure you'll use it.

I typically avoid the extended warranties. If the issuer wasn't making money, they wouldn't offer them. I have almost 70 hours on my LS3 and it has been rock solid.

Insurers make money on the investment of the premiums, not because the premium is more than what is paid out by claims. More often than not, especially on these more advanced cars with crazy electronics, claims will exceed the premium costs. Dealers, on the other hand, are making a lot of money on the sale of the service contract. Don't get me started on warranties. I'll get all IXFE on you all like he did in MBUU by the numbers. I'll have to bust out spreadsheets on you.

• Like 2