Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

zf to livorsi throttle control

oldjeep

Anyone know if the 2012 zf ski command throttle is plug/function compatible with the 2013 livorsi built throttle control?

Just wondering if the swap is possible since everyone who has driven the boat comments on the weird center button interlock

oldjeep,

I believe your '12 has a MEFI ECM - in which case the Livorisi should work. It will not work with eControls ECM, and I have not compared wire harness plugs to ensure plug 'n play compatibility.

pb

Thanks. As I'm looking around it appears that the Livorsi throttles are OEM only so I'd have to get one through the dealer unless I can find a wrecked boat being parted out. I'll probably just live with it the way it is, just strange that they went away from the "normal" pull up release for a few years.

The button drives me nuts, but I'm getting used to it. Every other ski boat we use has a pull up on it. It just changes the way that you have to hold the throttle.

wife doesn't mind it as much, but a little thumb makes it a lot easier to operate

Edited by oldjeep

You might try: eddie marine, cpperformance or similar high performance suppliers.

https://www.eddiemarine.com/

http://www.cpperformance.com/

Unfortunately you just can't buy the throttle assembly that they use in the ski boats anywhere but a Malibu dealer (or nautique, etc - depending on what flavor you have). They only make and sell them for OEM's. It is interesting that everyone except MC seems to use the same throttle now. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll have to ask what they get for them, but I'd really need to see one off the boat to tell if it would even work. If it wasn't plug compatible then I wouldn't even attempt it - don't want to be chopping up the important wiring.

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/controls_sidemount_ski.htm

"The electronic controls shown below are designed for specific OEM builders and cannot be sold at the retail level. We show these products here to highlight our design capabilities."

The button drives me nuts, but I'm getting used to it. Every other ski boat we use has a pull up on it. It just changes the way that you have to hold the throttle.

wife doesn't mind it as much, but a little thumb makes it a lot easier to operate

I hate the knob/push button as well. I have fat fingers, and I have to use my index finger to engage.

One nice thing about the push button, you can not accidentally grab it in an emergency. With my old response, I actually had a few new drivers inadvertently throw the boat in reverse when trying to come back to neutral.

I dig that dual handle throttle. I always liked how the big boats seperated the throttle and transmission. But I see it being more of a headache then good for drivers besides me.

I dig that dual handle throttle. I always liked how the big boats seperated the throttle and transmission. But I see it being more of a headache then good for drivers besides me.

I can't imagine having a dual handle in a ski boat.

FWIW I did get a price and it is pretty high, so I'll have to think long and hard about how much I really care.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if i am the exception, i have the center button, and it quit working. Throttle still works, but NO LOCK BETWEEN FORWARD AND REVERSE. 4 months of use! Obviously malibu warranty covers the replacement....

They are still using those throttles on some new boats?

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2014 at 8:38 PM, DarkSide said:

Not sure if i am the exception, i have the center button, and it quit working. Throttle still works, but NO LOCK BETWEEN FORWARD AND REVERSE. 4 months of use! Obviously malibu warranty covers the replacement....

Hey we have a similar situation, I was wondering how the problem was handled? We are on our 4th throttle.  If you feel comfortable calling my number is 661-978-8721 , or we can use this forum.   thank you! feeling super frustrated as well as scared since this could be very dangerous!

26 minutes ago, Tara said:

Hey we have a similar situation, I was wondering how the problem was handled? We are on our 4th throttle.  If you feel comfortable calling my number is 661-978-8721 , or we can use this forum.   thank you! feeling super frustrated as well as scared since this could be very dangerous!

You're saying your throttle no longer locks in neutral and can move in and out of gear with just a simple nudge?

38 minutes ago, Tara said:

Hey we have a similar situation, I was wondering how the problem was handled? We are on our 4th throttle.  If you feel comfortable calling my number is 661-******, or we can use this forum.   thank you! feeling super frustrated as well as scared since this could be very dangerous!

Hes now in a new boat so i dont think its an issue

I just recently bought a "parts only" ZF skicommand throttle - waiting for it to arrive.  Figured with all the problems that some have been having with the buttons that having an extra shifter arm/knob/button would be a good idea.  Also curious if there is a way to retrofit something better than the plastic ball/button onto the shifter body.

On 9/30/2014 at 8:38 PM, DarkSide said:
23 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

You're saying your throttle no longer locks in neutral and can move in and out of gear with just a simple nudge?

Yes, that is correct

26 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

13 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Hes now in a new boat so i dont think its an issue

thank you, curious how  the problem was resolved, or if the new owner is having issues as well.   According to Malibu "I am the only person with throttle problems"

Just now, Tara said:

Yes, that is correct

thank you, curious how  the problem was resolved, or if the new owner is having issues as well.   According to Malibu "I am the only person with throttle problems"

you are not, and they know about it , from im privy to,  they are pointing a finger at indmar for the tranny solenoid, and indmar is pointing back at the throttle

26 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I have been given the run around, and our boat has spent way too much tim ein the shop for repairs. Hes now in a new boat so i dont think its an issue

We have been given the run around from Malibu, it's very depressing that it has been in the shop more than on the water.  We put on average 100 hrs a year on our boats. ---I guess we actually use our toys, lol