Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

nada values

williemon

Since nada is a guide, how do yall adjust the price you may offer to purchase an older used boat based on their values if boat is in great shape? Id like to offer someone a price since their asking is above nada and above my budget, but i dont want to insult either. nada value is also above budget so i was think of offering below nada and in my budget. What would yall do? I know, worse they can do is say no but I hate to insult as well.

Any advice?

Some people don't believe in the NADA values, but if you are borrowing money from a bank it will use NADA for the loan amount they will give you. Here is a sample of my 2001, now some of the items I checked are questionable (Silent Choice exhaust and fuel injection - both of which it has) but I was trying to help him out reducing the amount that came out of his pocket since the bank would only loan up to 80% iirc.

post-16917-0-65480500-1410614691_thumb.j

This is tough. I would go to all of the boating sites to see what people are asking for similarly optioned boats knowing that you can negotiate. I have never found NADA to be a good indicator for boat pricing.

It's a buyers market now so use that to your advantage.

• Like 2

Nada is just one more tool for you and the seller to use. However its not always accurate. If you want to get a good idea of market value based on recent sales, it doesn't hurt to ask the crew what they/we think of the boat and price. Keep in mind the seller has a number they want (its usually not asking price) so as long as your not way off I don't see why it hurts to ask. I buy and sell crap all the time. I simply delete low ball offers. If someone is close to what I'm looking for, I will counter their offer to see if they're serious.

Some people don't believe in the NADA values, but if you are borrowing money from a bank it will use NADA for the loan amount they will give you. Here is a sample of my 2001, now some of the items I checked are questionable (Silent Choice exhaust and fuel injection - both of which it has) but I was trying to help him out reducing the amount that came out of his pocket since the bank would only loan up to 80% iirc.

Most banks only use Nada as a last resort. Boat brands that are less common (centurion, Malibu, nautique, etc) may not be in the wholesale value system they use. Can't remember if Malibu is in there or not. Most of the inboard boats were not in there last time I checked (3 years ago).

I'll echo what Joe said, depending on location and which boat you're looking at NADA can be wildly off to pretty close.

I will say that I checked on my boat when I bought it 5 years ago and it was way off (low). Now it's closer. NADA has raised their value of my old Echelon LX by almost 50% during that time. And no, I didn't use it to leverage the seller back then. The boat was what it was and we both knew the value. So really even though I got a great deal I paid more than NADA, and I could have sold it for a profit the next day after cleanup.

Here are 3 examples. The middle one (red) does not come with trailer, wedge or tower. The first one I really like.The third one, well, project? I would not turn any of these down as long as they were in the price I needed it to be in for that particular boat and its current state of disrepair or option additions needs. (Id like a wedge and tower) Ive called about the first two already just to get prelimenary info, bbut not about the third one.

http://boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-VLX-102335012

http://boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-sunsetter-lsv-102326281

http://boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-VLX-102326571

Most banks only use Nada as a last resort. Boat brands that are less common (centurion, Malibu, nautique, etc) may not be in the wholesale value system they use. Can't remember if Malibu is in there or not. Most of the inboard boats were not in there last time I checked (3 years ago).

My local credit union will finance 90% on the retail value and USAA does 100% on the value which usually ends up close to NADA retail.

Here are 3 examples. The middle one (red) does not come with trailer, wedge or tower. The first one I really like.The third one, well, project? I would not turn any of these down as long as they were in the price I needed it to be in for that particular boat and its current state of disrepair or option additions needs. (Id like a wedge and tower) Ive called about the first two already just to get prelimenary info, bbut not about the third one.

http://boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-VLX-102335012

http://boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-sunsetter-lsv-102326281

http://boattrader.com/listing/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-VLX-102326571

I hate it when they don't list the hours. The first one looks pretty clean. Single axle trailer and no perfect pass, I would think low 20s is closer to a fair price.

The 3rd one is way overpriced for the condition its in, plus what else did they neglect?

The first one is a consignment from someone. The dealer does not say yay or nay, but will take offers to the owner. The second one is sold by the dealer. I assume that since they are at a dealer, that they have been checked out? Not to let that take the place of a test ride, but I assume that it has been looked over?

Like others have said, get prices from as many sources as you can and price accordingly. Now let's say you have the only boat in that make/model/year group within, say, 300 miles. You might be able to ask a premium price. But if your local market has a few boats similar to yours you will have to justify that price to the buyer.