Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Scarpa Plate Pictures

responsetxi2014

Just got a Response TXi and the barefoot slalom wake is great but heard the Scarpa Plate makes it better. Before shelling out the ~$500 for it I was hoping to see what it does to the wake before I buy. I've looked all over the site and on the internet and can't find any solid pics of it. Can anyone on here help me out with a few pics. I know it's described to flatten out the wakes but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Pointman. Thought that was the same adjustment video I saw before. That definitely helps out a lot. If anyone has some good photos that way I can easily compare it'd be appreciated as well.

We don't have the SSP on our 2004 LXI, but my friend has it on his 2014 TXI. I've asked him for a couple of pics, see attached.

We tested the wake, curl, table with and without SSP, different props, different line lengths etcetera... it's now very smooth. You do need to take into account that you will be loosing some speed with the SSP. My friend has the 450 hp Corvette engine, so it's not really an issue, but I would not install the SSP on a boat with a standard engine.

post-16937-0-74345000-1410693521_thumb.j

post-16937-0-51690700-1410693541_thumb.j

post-16937-0-71111900-1410693550_thumb.j

post-16937-0-77472100-1410693560_thumb.j

Edited by DutchMalibu

if you ALWAYS barefoot with the basically the SAME crew, meaning the same amount of people all weighing the same thing and always pretty much ski at the same speed and always use the same line length, you will love it.... :rockon:

However, and this is a BIG HOWEVER.....

if you like to switch it up and also slalom ski and have different people and speeds, it will become a NIGHTMARE for you...not to mention it is very touchy and sensitive to even the smallest of adjustments...

in other words, if you are not a DIE HARD BARE FOOTER....with a Like minded crew....Do not do it!

Just my opinion, albeit humble... :whistle:

Thanks Dutch, that pic is great.

JB, typically it's the same people footing with consistent line and speed. The only issue I see is we typically go back and forth between footing and slalom in the same day. I've heard mixed emotions on the slalom wake with the SSP so taking it on and off in between May just be it's only downside.

Thanks for the info

Thanks Dutch, that pic is great.

JB, typically it's the same people footing with consistent line and speed. The only issue I see is we typically go back and forth between footing and slalom in the same day. I've heard mixed emotions on the slalom wake with the SSP so taking it on and off in between May just be it's only downside.

Thanks for the info

This is something that once installed. NEEDS TO BE DIALED IN!

and when I say Dial in....i mean with VERY small incremental adjustments....like dime thickness adjustments are HUGE adjustments....so taking it on and off would be a fiasco in trying to Dial it back in.....

also, what makes a tournament barefoot wake may not be the best for the weekend bare footer....

tournament wakes need a defined curl/lip so that judges can see when you cross the wakes and where you are on the wakes...

typically we Weekend barefooters would be happy with no lip, no curl just a huge @ss flat table to cross back and forth at will....Would that not be nirvana?!?

but if you guys are going to train to compete in regional and national tournaments, then by all means, set your training boat up just like you will be competing behind in the tournaments...

@DutchMalibu & response2014txi: How does the TXi barefoot wake compare to the Response LXi, LX or Echelon boats? Sounds like a good one, I have heard the Gen 2 LXI ('07-'11) is much less desirable than the first generation LXi.

Personally, I like the wake of my 2004 LXI better than the TXI wake. Let's say that the TXI wake with Scarpa plate is quite similar to the 1st gen LXI wake without plate. I like the LXI wake better than the wake of my previous 2000 Response closed bow. And waaaaaaay better than my old '86 Barefoot Nautique, that wake was huge, hard and scary to cross........

Personally, I like the wake of my 2004 LXI better than the TXI wake. Let's say that the TXI wake with Scarpa plate is quite similar to the 1st gen LXI wake without plate. I like the LXI wake better than the wake of my previous 2000 Response closed bow. And waaaaaaay better than my old '86 Barefoot Nautique, that wake was huge, hard and scary to cross........

While your Barefoot Nautique was indeed tall....it was actually easy to roll up and over on...almost easier if you closed your eyes....HA HA

I remember my 1st time approaching those wakes....they were intimidating, until you just did it and the next thing you know,. you were going down off of the other side...saying "wow, that was easy!"

also the Barefoot Nautique wake was GREAT at mashing down chop and it was a great place to barefoot directly behind the boat in rough water..

not to mention the absolute flat wide table directly behind that thing...it was like a dance floor

With the high defined lip and wake edge, Judges Never had a problem scoring points for transitions and figuring out where someone crossed or didn't cross...

I am assuming you had a Direct Drive Barefoot Nautique....I have footed behind both the D-Drive and V-Drive BF Nautiques, and much preferred the DD version

• 9 months later...

I wanted to continue the conversation with the Wake behind the Response using SSP plate. We recently purchased a 1999 LX open bow. Love to barefoot! A friend loaned me his SSP plate to copy and build my own! ( Engineer that has access to machine shop). So we installed the plate per Ron Scarpa video using level height adjustments and exact bow in plate using same 3/32 (.095) a drill bit as a gage. We are running the original SS 13 X !3 prop. I am not satisfied with wake at this point......too much prop wash. Curl is great FYI I am a previous owner of a 1988 Barefoot Nautique and I agree with "Never Logs off" above :) if you have a plate that you have dialed in please let me know. Thx.....Tom

OH....... FYI boat with SSP installed runs 45 WOT.

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys, I have just purchased a 2022 response TXI with a 6.2l engine (430hp). Before purchasing I told the dealer I like both barefooting and slalom skiing and I require a top end speed of around 72km p/hr with a footer behind. Once I took delivery of the boat I was very unhappy with the performance and prop wash. 

The boat arrived with a 3 blade, 13” x 12.625 (cupped) acme propeller. Top end speed was 76km p/hr @5300rpm. Holeshot was rubbish and the prop wash was un-skiable. I then opted to go to a 4 blade, 13” x 12.5 propeller. I then achieved good holeshot and a top end speed of 74km p/hr @5240rpm. The prop wash is a lot better but I’m still not happy with it. 

I’m considering buying a scarpa plate to rectify this issue. If anyone can help out with idea’s on what they have done, I’d be happy to hear them as the dealer isn’t providing much assistance at all here in Australia. 

TIA

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got SSP on my 06 Response LX. I slalom and we all barefoot. I bought the boat from the McCauleys, a competition barefooting family. It had the SSP dialed in for barefoot tournaments. It has the 340 Monsoon and runs 45mph tops, Only 44mph with a 150lb. footer. I don't know what the slalom wake would be like without the SSP, but it's not "bad" with it (at 34mph and above shortline).

Two of my crew have direct drive barefoot Nautiques with big blocks. They are great for rough water footing.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
LXRBarefooter
On 5/20/2022 at 8:17 AM, Santy451 said:

Hi Guys, I have just purchased a 2022 response TXI with a 6.2l engine (430hp). Before purchasing I told the dealer I like both barefooting and slalom skiing and I require a top end speed of around 72km p/hr with a footer behind. Once I took delivery of the boat I was very unhappy with the performance and prop wash. 

The boat arrived with a 3 blade, 13” x 12.625 (cupped) acme propeller. Top end speed was 76km p/hr @5300rpm. Holeshot was rubbish and the prop wash was un-skiable. I then opted to go to a 4 blade, 13” x 12.5 propeller. I then achieved good holeshot and a top end speed of 74km p/hr @5240rpm. The prop wash is a lot better but I’m still not happy with it. 

I’m considering buying a scarpa plate to rectify this issue. If anyone can help out with idea’s on what they have done, I’d be happy to hear them as the dealer isn’t providing much assistance at all here in Australia. 

TIA

The TXi is the larger ‘slow’ hull, the smaller TXR hull is the ‘fast’ hull for footing. Malibu Aus cancelled the TXR/LXR production line in late 2022/early 2023 I believe, which is a shame because that hull tops out somewhere near 78-80km/h with the right engine and prop.

What part of the prop wash was ‘unskiable’ if you’re referring to the crest that Malibus have at the 70-75ft mark at barefoot speeds, yes a SSP SHOULD help you knock that down a little, however as mentioned above it will knock some speed off. You could try adding one or two 10ft extensions to your existing barefoot line, this puts you behind the crest without adding a SSP robbing you of speed. However, if you’re practicing wake slalom for comps, the wash will be wider than a Sangar DXii’s at std rope length.

If they ever start the SV23 Diamond hull production line back up again, one of those with the M6di engine and a 13x12.635 or 13x13 ACME and a SSP would haul a**! 

If you’re a stick skier and ski into 28 off or better the difference between the TXi and TXR would be negligible as you’re in front of the wake crest.

Edit: added comments on rope length. 

Edited by LXRBarefooter
  • Like 2