Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blowing out Vdrive?

racer808

I know there are many winterize threads but I couldn't find one to piggy back off of or they were way old & I didn't want to bring up a 3 yr old thread.

Getting ready to winterize, I know to drain block, manifold lines, large J hose, transcooler hose. But I saw in one of these threads or how to videos to blow out the Vdrive & tranny lines? I am sort of lost on that one? Also want to make sure I am not forgetting anything else since I have to store outside this year & won't have the safety of my garage to protect minor forgot to do's?

Ballast bags will be out, blow lines out. I typically shop vac every last drop of water in the hull I can find. Batteries on tender. No heater or shower so I don't have to worry about those.

Anything else? I do my fluids in the spring, mostly cause I only put 20 hours on the oil that is in there now.

I also typically leave all the hoses disconnected but was wondering if these is any harm in hooking them back up after everything is drained?

Edited by racer808

He likely hooks all the hoses back up, removes the thermostat and runs it on something like this flush kit:

3253500c_4.jpg

I, as well as many others, do not put antifreeze back in the system per the manual. Buttoning everything up shouldn't be a problem provided you did get all of the water out and non needs to evaporate. No need to blow out the vdrive if it's drained or water and left open.

One more thing to consider is even though you only put 20 hours on the boat you may want to change the oil before layup. Use oil is slightly acidic. If you're going to change it anyway, you may as well change it before the end of the season to it's good oil that's in there through the winter. Make sure you run the engine for a bit after changing.

He likely hooks all the hoses back up, removes the thermostat and runs it on something like this flush kit:

3253500c_4.jpg

No need to blow out the vdrive if it's drained or water and left open.

When you say no need to blow if its drained. Is there another step I am missing or is the 4 hoses I listed above enough to empty the vdrive?

Thanks Gents. Yeah I can't see how much water would come out of that plug? You would think it would be down low? Anything else I need to do?

There are two, one at the top (I always assumed to let more air in so it drained better) and one on the back side down lower. You're right, not a ton of water comes out but I'd rather get it out than leave it in...

There's really not much water that comes out of the v-drive drains. Can't see needing to blow it out. Heater lines are another story...

I hear so much about heaters freezing and breaking after a winter... is there any good way to keep it safe for the winter without just completely removing it? I Can blow air through it and pump antifreze through it but will that be enough? (I will store in MN in an unheated barn where it can drop to -20f) I'm thinking about just taking the whole core out for the winter...

When you say no need to blow if its drained. Is there another step I am missing or is the 4 hoses I listed above enough to empty the vdrive?

Yes, unhook the vdrive/tranny cooling lines. That should be enough to drain them.

Yes, unhook the vdrive/tranny cooling lines. That should be enough to drain them.

Which ones? I dont have a visual in my head, isnt there two small hoses that come off the transcooler that head to the VDrive?

The v-drive has 2 large hose's you can take off. As far as the heater just take off the intake and exhaust and blow with your mouth. All the water will come out. Just pull all the hoses off the motor wait for them to drain and re install them. I also put petcocks on the side of my motor so it super easy to drain. I got tired of have to pull the plugs.

I can drain my motor/heater/vdrive in about 5 minutes.