Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 VLX Ordered and can't wait

blake0129

The motor upgrades are getting ridiculous, to the point if I ever decide on a new purchase you have to really factor in what capacity you plan on using the boat. Will a 350 get you a satisfactory wave, and be able to haul you and your crew around with no regrets. Altitude also plays a factor, you do loose significantly with every 1000' of elevation. The $10-12k upcharge for a ls3 is staggering, but there is no doubt you will be able to get full potential out of the boat with this engine. Let us know how the 350 works out for you for surfing, and how much weight you can push. The new vlx does weigh 600+ lbs more than the 14's that is a pretty significant increase in weight.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2

At this point with the new hull...I would forget adding the stereo, lights, heater, racks, etc....and upgrade the Motor....you could add all that stuff later in little projects. If you are big surfer, you will enjoy the bigger motor.

doesn't your boat have a 350? And you run more weight than most

I have and I dont see the need for a big motor. someone tell me why its worth all that money. I just sold my old boat and not one person that called about it asked about if motor was big enough. I just don't see that money comming back in any form. The 1% hard core guy might want it but 99% just want a nice boat at fair price. Will for sure check into the prop

I have too... twice in fact, and this was at sea level with the torque prop (most favorable possible conditions). My conclusion... I would never order this boat with a 350, and like you I owned prior gen VLX's with the 350. This boat is in a different league.

But as long as you're happy, that's what counts. Not worth derailing the thread with a motor debate. If you care to hear what I learned on my demos, send me a PM.

Enjoy!!

Total speculation, but I would bet Acme comes out with something even better then the current torque prop? 10 inch pitch?

Top speed of 32 mph?! Not sure how much lower they can go with a prop. Maybe Malibu will get a 17" prop? Transmission ratios are also changing, this definitely helps. Like changing gears in your differentials for bigger tires on a lifted truck.

I agree with IXFE, as tough as it to bight the price tag, minimum 409, ideally the LS3 for the new vlx. I did just get back from Lake Powell at 4000' elevation with the 409 in a 14 23' MB. The boat has 256 hours on it, we only had four people this time, 8 last year. Big difference in four people not being on the boat. I thought the boat performed much better this trip, and we were running some good weight (3300 lbs) for surfing, enough to where we could surf with our wakeboards on! Yes, it actually works... And the wakeboard wake was also loaded with 3k pounds.

And that's the point, you're pretty extreme and do well. 600 pounds will not affect the new hull that much for what 90% of the people use their boat for.

I see your point. I am using that demo ride in a 14' LSV with a 350 as reference. I know the 22 is smaller, but not by much. I think it could be borderline weather or not the 350 would be the optimal choice. I guess we will see and find out. Give it a couple of months into the 2015 season, and we should start seeing these threads pop up. I only hope for the best for the buyer. Nobody wants to spend that amount of cash on a upgrade. Once again, I feel like I stole my VLX.

Looks awesome. I don't love the black tower most of the time, but it works on your boat.

It all flows well. Let me correct, *WE, just got this boat in. As the place of my employment. I wish I could swing a 22 VLX... :)

You guys that are balls to the wall I get it. Everyone is differnet. When I am shopping if the boat has the bigger engine I am moving on to the next. Some would move on if has small. At the end of the day I have to put faith in Malibu and the fact that they would not offer a motor that would not work for a boat. I think we all agree that the new 22 is bad a**. I can't wait to get it.

• Like 3

You guys that are balls to the wall I get it. Everyone is differnet. When I am shopping if the boat has the bigger engine I am moving on to the next. Some would move on if has small. At the end of the day I have to put faith in Malibu and the fact that they would not offer a motor that would not work for a boat. I think we all agree that the new 22 is bad a**. I can't wait to get it.

Where I live, it seems nearly all only(!) have the 350 (including the LSV I plan to get). Here there are pretty big taxes based on engine power, and petrol is a shed load more expensive than the US. Just have to settle for the fact that the 'lockers' aren't going to have 1,500lbs of extra ballast in them. Wave should be still good, just smaller than the rammed 450 boats. I'm happy with that.

Just for fun what % off MSRP should buyers expect to pay. 10-15-20-25-30-35?? I know it depends on dealer but trying to tell myself I got a good deal

Do you feel you got a good deal? If you are comfortable then you did. Every thing is supply and demand. As a general "rule" 20% is decent. Can be more if it is a left over, etc.

so, who is on the water with a 22 VLX and happy with the surfwake and stock ballast (inkl. PnP)?

And what are you planing with your 22 VLX - a lot of sacks?