Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Potential New Guy

RyanB

That 04 23LSV looks like it would be worth pursuing…if you can handle a discussion with the guy after reading his ad. Not sure I could.

The 25LSV was a bit of an oddball in the lineup and it may be right up your alley for all condition cruising. If you can get a rough water test ride, do it. My concern would be resale in the future. They don't hold value like the 23 and 247 do.

That 247 in Evergreen is a nice looking machine. Although I am concerned that he doesn't know what he is talking about. He said the hull was redesigned in 2008? I don't think the 247 hull has ever been redesigned. There are some minor tweaks on the upper deck 2 years ago, IIUC. You can't improve on perfection. Someone please correct me if the running surface was ever changed.

I saw the boat in Draper when I was up there about 3 weeks ago. I did not look inside of it, but the back looked beat up. Nothing that couldn't buff out, but looked like a 13 year old put on his wakeboard in the middle of a hurricane and then slammed the back of the boat repeatedly with his board in the waves. I am sure that they would take some close up pictures if you want before you made a 10 hour trip. Taylor's did have 2 very nice 2014 leftover 247's. If I had 110K I didn't know what to do with, I would for sure buy one of those. Both are nice colors and nicely equipped.

Keep in mind that if you want to cruise 90 miles in a day, that should take you 3 hours if you go 30 MPH. Not as fast as your runabout, but still doable.

That 247 in Evergreen is a nice looking machine. Although I am concerned that he doesn't know what he is talking about. He said the hull was redesigned in 2008? I don't think the 247 hull has ever been redesigned. There are some minor tweaks on the upper deck 2 years ago, IIUC. You can't improve on perfection. Someone please correct me if the running surface was ever changed.

I saw the boat in Draper when I was up there about 3 weeks ago. I did not look inside of it, but the back looked beat up. Nothing that couldn't buff out, but looked like a 13 year old put on his wakeboard in the middle of a hurricane and then slammed the back of the boat repeatedly with his board in the waves. I am sure that they would take some close up pictures if you want before you made a 10 hour trip. Taylor's did have 2 very nice 2014 leftover 247's. If I had 110K I didn't know what to do with, I would for sure buy one of those. Both are nice colors and nicely equipped.

Keep in mind that if you want to cruise 90 miles in a day, that should take you 3 hours if you go 30 MPH. Not as fast as your runabout, but still doable.

I travel for work which will make this search easier. I saw the Draper boat earlier this week. You are right about the back end, and I don't think it will buff out, at least not without a LOT of work. The interior was in very good shape.

There is a 23LSV at the Mastercraft dealer in SLC as well. Lower hours, good shape, and priced right. I would have bought it, but the PO ordered it with pink insets in the upholstery as well as in the gel coat. I can upgrade the interior, but I don't know how to easily fix the gel coat.

Ryan, you are really doing your research on this which is very cool. And I feel you are thinking very logically. I hear you on wanting to be able to cruise and enjoy your boat other then doing water sports.

If it were me, I would probably go all in and I feel pretty confident that you will love the Malibu. I really like the boat in the last link you posted. 8.1L engine, power wedge, classic color combo that will always look good and low hours.

I can upgrade the interior, but I don't know how to easily fix the gel coat.

Partial wrap is easiest and least expensive. Either cover the exact same shape in a different solid color or you can go bigger and more elaborate.

Maybe I am too picky, but I don't like wraps on boats either. My boat has a few graphics, but if it were up to me I would remove them and go naked.

The 2002 I linked to is actually in AZ, and I want to put my eyes on a boat before I commit, so it is out for now. I probably won't be back in AZ until late October or early November. If I don't find something before then, and that boat doesn't sell, I will look, but I am leaning against that one.

The 2004 in Summit County is off the market for now.

I am worried that the 247 is just too big. I am not 100% sure that I can get it & my truck in the garage, and it just seems WAY long to try to tow tandem. Fortunately it is the off season, so I can be indecisive (and picky) for now.

Looking at options here. I realize that this is a Malibu forum, so responses are going to be biased, but how would a Mastercraft X35 compare to the Wakesetter? I have found a couple 2009's that are priced favorably. Not sure I like that compartment behind the helm.

Thoughts?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=63795

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009-Mastercraft-X-35-617694

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 07 - 08 23 is listed as the same weight as my Crownline - 3900 pounds.

Malibu way underrates their boat weights. It weighs a lot more than that. You would be safer assuming that boat, fully fueled and no gear, will be 6000-6500 on the trailer (more towards the 6500 range). These boats are HEAVY.

Just for fun... My 03 21LSV surfs great and cruises at 35MPH with the stock prop.

Cruises 35MPH easily with the stock 381/537 = yes.

Surfs great = no. It surfs okay at best...after surfing my buddy's fairly sacked out (but not dialed in yet) 247, I felt like a freaking pro behind that boat. Way bigger wake, much longer (and much more forgiving) pocket. I have our SV23 pretty dialed in and can have plenty of fun surfing behind it and isn't holding me back, but it will never surf "great."

I think we are pretty close to pulling the trigger. There are two comparably equipped and priced 247s. Both 2008. One has the 383 the other the 8.1. Is there any advantage to the 8.1??

I have the hammerhead in my 07, and I wish I'd gone with the 8.1, the hammerhead has a couple weird issues that bug me, run a search on it to research them. Oil pressure and idle rattle are what I experience and Indmar says it's normal :crazy: However, since I put a 15" prop on I've got pull power to spare even with 4k+ of ballast. I had a starter issue strand me l, not really engine related, so 175 (490 total) hours of reliable performance. When I bought mine I believe the 8.1 gm block had been discontinued and I let that scare me.

I think you you are thinking of the 383 hammerhead stroker. I've been able to get away with running the correct amount but a thicker 20w50 oil.

Also do some research on the 2008 year for all malibus. Some will argue but most agree it was their worst production year but malibu resolved the issues with the "make it right" campaign. I would verify this service happened.

Edited by Ndawg12

I have the hammerhead in my 07, and I wish I'd gone with the 8.1, the hammerhead has a couple weird issues that bug me, run a search on it to research them. Oil pressure and idle rattle are what I experience and Indmar says it's normal :crazy: However, since I put a 15" prop on I've got pull power to spare even with 4k+ of ballast. I had a starter issue strand me l, not really engine related, so 175 (490 total) hours of reliable performance. When I bought mine I believe the 8.1 gm block had been discontinued and I let that scare me.

The ECM has a small issue where as you come from running to idle, there is a brief instant where the engine still has some RPM, but the oil pressure drops below 18 PSI. And that triggers a low oil pressure alarm. It beeps until the RPM's are down below 1000, then it stops beeping. In my case that is only 1-2 seconds at the very most. It is only a little bit annoying, and it only happens when I have a slug of weight in it. It has tons of power, and I sure wouldn't let it deter me from buying the boat all over again.

Now the MUX switches that we warned you about...

I had the 8.1 in my Mastercraft X45. Same engine as what is in the Malibu you are talking about. It is a great engine too. At the time of purchase, it was probably 6-10K upgrade. I don't notice much difference in how it performs except when at lakes higher than 3,000 feet and when it is excessively loaded. I surf with about 4,000 pounds and the Hammerhead does fine for that. When people talk about a bigger engine using less gas because it is not working as hard, I honestly believe they are full of crap.

• Like 2

So, would you be so kind as to expand on why the 2008 is the worst year, the MUX issue, and make it right campaign?

I NEVER go below 3600' elevation, so the higher HP engine is a draw towards me. I thought I had it down to a 2008 247 with the 8.1. Still very interested in that, but......

There is a dealer with a very nicely equiped 2014 23LSV that is their demo boat. 410 HP engine, surf gate, you name it, the boat seems to have it. It has somewhere around 50 hours on it. What would be a good price on this boat?

So, would you be so kind as to expand on why the 2008 is the worst year, the MUX issue, and make it right campaign?

I NEVER go below 3600' elevation, so the higher HP engine is a draw towards me. I thought I had it down to a 2008 247 with the 8.1. Still very interested in that, but......

There is a dealer with a very nicely equiped 2014 23LSV that is their demo boat. 410 HP engine, surf gate, you name it, the boat seems to have it. It has somewhere around 50 hours on it. What would be a good price on this boat?

I have just heard that the MUX buttons tend to fail over time. Bake's still offers new MUX switches, so it isn't much trouble to replace them.

3600 feet...Hmmm...sounds like Lake Powell.

A 2014 LSV demo boat with 50 hours and 409 engine. I'm going to say that 80K is a great deal for that boat. But regional variation is huge. If you are in Salt Lake City, just plan to take it in the pants.

Well, not a potential new guy anymore. Bought a new 2014 23LSV on Friday. It has the LS3 engine, and quite a few options. I feel like I got a very good price and they even exceeded my expectations on my trade. Took her out this weekend to put a few hours on it.

I think this is going to be a great boat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So, I am considering either a 237 or 247 (leaning towards the 237), and would like to keep purchase price under $55k. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Now that is some serious budget creep there!

Nice work, the new ride looks awesome!

• Like 3

This is most likely a "stock" pitch prop, so you'll have to account for the fact that this chart shifts laterally with prop pitch, but you get the idea. In this chart the best cruising speed for mileage is ~27mph, but 30mph offers only a slight hit on mileage, keeping it right at 3mpg. To go up to 40 mph the mileage then drops to 2mpg, a 50% hit, with 45mph cutting mileage in half (100% hit.)

malibue23lsv-chart.jpg

Great chart. Is that for your 2002 LSV?

• 7 months later...

Well, took the boat out on our 2nd Powell trip last week

It is living up to expectations. This trip was just the two of us. 17 hours on the clock and 95 gallons of fuel through the boat.

It is thirsty above 30 mph but oh well.

Looking forward to some warmer weather and some water sports!

E1A97FBB-4FBE-45FA-9514-253D92A99585_zps

EB2228A8-2118-4B7C-9612-AE2DE959BFFE_zps

32FACF80-9646-4A48-846A-339ADCDD3D66_zps

Edited by RyanB

Way to analyze shared data and pull the trigger! Most importantly welcome to the Crew. I look forward to your posts helping others decide between old and new and prop size for desired needs. Again congrats, she is a beautiful vessel. Cheers!