Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

This is interesting

wakebrdr94

I'm open minded to the idea. Steering in reverse, shallow water drive, more prop choices, trimability, mulitple engine and drive options are some benefits. Horses for courses I guess

Saw them at the boats show this spring. Just a super long swim deck. Why not just get an inboard if you plan to do wakesports?

Because outboard injuries are much more horrific and if you are going to get injured, why not make an impact?

That swim deck looked like a runway.

And the bow rise on that thing while surfing was tremendous.

I would have concerns about the platform affected the wave. However, in the video the wave was pretty decent so it must be awesome. :)

Ok, I will be the first to say it....GAME CHANGER !!!!! :clap:

Biggest thing to me is the low speed planing of the inboard boats compared to an I/O and general maneuverability. My last boat was a Bryant, and if I were to buy another I/O, it would be a Bryant. They really are well built boats. Mine was more solid than its replacement.

As for getting hurt, the props on that Bryant are probably farther from the back of the swim deck than a standard inboard.

But the bow rise on that thing would be a deal killer for me and I am sure the handling would be quite a difference as well.

I do love the fact that surfing is branching out. My biggest fear is that one day all the old people on my lake will gather, drink ovaltine, and eat tomato sandwiches and ban all the surfing fun. The more surfers out there, the less likely this is to happen.

• Like 2

I do love the fact that surfing is branching out. My biggest fear is that one day all the old people on my lake will gather, drink ovaltine, and eat tomato sandwiches and ban all the surfing fun. The more surfers out there, the less likely this is to happen.

...eh, I don't know about that logic. People with the capacity to ban surfing are the authorities and property owners. Authorities are going to get involved when people get hurt and rather than use a scalpel, they'll use an axe. The more surfers the more erosion (many) property owners will gripe about. In my personal opinion, when it comes to "surfers rights", the fewer the better.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Saw them at the boats show this spring. Just a super long swim deck. Why not just get an inboard if you plan to do wakesports?

Using that same logic, I'm a little surprised Malibu didn't actively pursue a 'family friendly' marketing strategy.

I don't pretend to be smarter than Malibu's marketing department, but it seems like the "go hard", "ride like a pro" marketing campaign is missing the mark for some of the families out there that can actually afford a $70k+ boat.

I personally think there is a portion of the I/O crowd that could be Malibu's for the taking if they focused on the 'family & friends' aspect of boating - not just the "buy our boat and you'll look like you're a pro".

This video certainly helped me sell my wife on a Malibu vs. the other boats we looked at a while back.

Edited by RedOwl
  • Like 2

...eh, I don't know about that logic. People with the capacity to ban surfing are the authorities and property owners. Authorities are going to get involved when people get hurt and rather than use a scalpel, they'll use an axe. The more surfers the more erosion (many) property owners will gripe about. In my personal opinion, when it comes to "surfers rights", the fewer the better.

I respectfully disagree. Laws are made by those that have the money.

Who controls congress? By your rationale, congress controls congress when we all know that corporations and big business control congress

The bigger surfing gets, the more money there is behind it, and the less likely there will be any overarching laws banning surfing.

I was attempting to be humorous using the old people at my lake as an example. I was thinking more of a state wide level. If all the huge boat manufacturers lobby the state legislatures then they will win. The more boat companies making surf boats the better the odds are.

I respectfully disagree. Laws are made by those that have the money.

Who controls congress? By your rationale, congress controls congress when we all know that corporations and big business control congress

The bigger surfing gets, the more money there is behind it, and the less likely there will be any overarching laws banning surfing.

I was attempting to be humorous using the old people at my lake as an example. I was thinking more of a state wide level. If all the huge boat manufacturers lobby the state legislatures then they will win. The more boat companies making surf boats the better the odds are.

There is already a substantial number of waterways that have or have come close to banning surfing. One member here contributed to getting surfgate included into the wake enhancement definition on his lake so no SG boats were allowed. That's someone with a ski boat, let alone someone who has enjoyed a peaceful lake for 20 years now flooded with rap-laced 3000 watt systems knocking his boat into the dock. There's a lot more money in the hands of waterfront property owners willing to spend it politically than boat manufacturers, most of whom are just resurrecting from near bankruptcy.

Simply put, respectfully as well, more surf boats will hasten, not delay, bans.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

There is already a substantial number of waterways that have or have come close to banning surfing. One member here contributed to getting surfgate included into the wake enhancement definition on his lake so no SG boats were allowed. That's someone with a ski boat, let alone someone who has enjoyed a peaceful lake for 20 years now flooded with rap-laced 3000 watt systems knocking his boat into the dock. There's a lot more money in the hands of waterfront property owners willing to spend it politically than boat manufacturers, most of whom are just resurrecting from near bankruptcy.

Simply put, respectfully as well, more surf boats will hasten, not delay, bans.

You are correct in that individual waterfront owners probably have more power on their own lake but not politically and not in regards to making new sweeping laws. That is simply not correct. The political power they have is in voting which you and I both know is marginal.

They can certainly ban it on their own lakes though in which you might be correct unless we can get Gladys and Henry out there surfing. They might love it. Sea wall be damned!

Edited by DocPhil

I don't doubt that they are nice boats, but if you are going to spend that much on a boat for water sports, why not just get the real thing?

I never fully understood why people would spend 60k+ on Bryant, Chapperal, etc to get the same look with performance that pales in comparison to any inboard.

Depends what you call performance. I could pull skiers and boarders all day long on my Bryant. Then take an evening cruise up the lake through chop or whatever and cruise at 45mph easily.

The Malibu provides a cleaner wake for skiing and boarding, yes. But for general boating and cruising, it severely lacks what my I/O could provide. My family will not go for a boat ride if the water is choppy given the poor quality of ride. And I can only get up to about 42MPH top speed with the Malibu. The Bryant would go 61.

It's where you place your priorities. Many families want an all around boat with heavy emphasis on riding well. As we've all seen, the #1 "sport" for most is tubing. You can tube like made behind an I/O. Because of all this, I/O's will continue to beat inboards on sales.