Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter VLX vs 2001 Wakesetter VLX?

henrik

We sold our 88 Sunsetter earlier and need to replace it. We are looking at a 2000 Sunsetter VLX, low hours, nicely kept, has a floating wedge and center ballast. 2001 Wakesetter has center ballast but no wedge, low hours as well, not abused but not as nice looking as the Sunsetter. Both have satisfactory service records. Both appears to have responsible boatowners. It's my understanding they both have the same hull. Any differences I should be aware of? Any input is appreciated.

I had the 01 wake vlx and loved it, but by the description the sun setter may be the way to go, the floating wedge is a popular worthwhile addition.

Yes same hull, the graphics are probably different, and you may have as lightly different tower on the wakesetter.

Yes, different graphics, different switches on the dash, different tower. Prefer the tower and switches on the 01,I think that's all it has that would be better/nicer than the Sunsetter.

I think the dash / helm is a lot more updated in the 01. I'm pretty sure the 00 had the flat wood grain dash and the 01 has the more curved set up. IMO you get a much more modern looking boat in that 01. I don't think the wedge is a deal breaker. You can always watch for a used set up if you really want one. Heck, I stopped using mine this year cause I liked the wake, and wave better without it.

Both have SV23 Wake Hull.

Both have the 3-piece rear sun deck.

'01 gets the updated dash, which is an important upgrade as it goes away from the knobs to proper switches.

Are you sure that '00 has a floating wedge? That didn't come out until 2007 and is a pricey upgrade. Could have been done (I swapped mine to a floater) but it isn't all that common. To be a floater, it can't lock when in the down position. Visually you can easily tell as the wedge plate, arms and brackets are all polished stainless steel. If it is painted or not polished, it isn't a floater.

Both will need a lot more ballast and the factory center ballast wasn't well done back then. If the same price/condition, I'd lean on the '01 unless it is a really ugly color combo.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input.

Agree on updated dash for a more modern look. Are the switches prior to 01 bad, prone to failure? I know they're not the prettiest! The wedge is a floating wedge, polished and all. Update switches/dash(possible?)on the 00 or put a wedge on the 01? Gauges are Kyser in both boats(not sure on spelling) Not having a dealer locally might make the wedge option harder. I do have handy friends, ex malibu dealer service.

Both boats have quite a bit of brown/beige in the interior, popular back then I guess... Exterior colors are fairly neutral on both.

How much is a floating wedge to buy and install? How much more $ should I allow for that?

Oops,I missed the part about them having different towers. Do you know which towers they are? Having a Titan or Skylon Swoop tower on the '01 would outweigh the perk of having a floating wedge if the '00 doesn't have one of those two towers. It would cost more and be more of a hassle to replace a wobbly tower than it would be to install a floating wedge.

The old style switches are fine functionally, just not as attractive looking.

Floating Wedge parts are hard to come by used; new you are looking at $1200.

You can also go to a manual wedge instead; you should be able to score a used manual setup for ~$600 (at least that's what I sold mine for).

Factory tower on either boat will be a Skylon Tuna or Titan 1. My '01 has a Skylon Swoop but that was dealer added after purchase.

I had an 01' Wakesetter and just sold it a few weeks ago. My only gripe was the middle digital gauge was dying a slow death and it was getting harder to read due to pixels fading away. Everything was readable, but it was annoying.

It didn't have any wedge but we didn't care, it was fun to surf and board behind.

I did have an Illusion tower installed and had 750's in the back lockers, so it was heavier than stock for sure.

Good luck -

Charlie

• 6 years later...

I decided I would piggyback off this post since my question is pretty similar.  In the market for a v-drive and have found two malibu's around my area.  A '00 sunsetter VLX and a '01 wakesetter VLX. 

Both look extremely clean for the age.  The 2000 didn't post any pictures of the engine.  A boat mechanic I know, knows the salesman selling the '01 and thinks I can get it for under 20k. 

I will add links to both.  Opinion on the better boat?  Thank you 

2000 Sunsetter: https://www.midindianamarine.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=9420502&p=2&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

'01 Wakesetter: 

https://www.mainchannel.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=9677937&p=1&vc=wake %2F surf %2F ski&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Edited by BSUSKIALUM2010

I would go with the wakesetter. I’m guessing your going to want a tower. You’d have to add one with the SS and they’re not cheap. Both very good boats. Can’t go wrong with either

12 minutes ago, Matt5115 said:

I would go with the wakesetter. I’m guessing your going to want a tower. You’d have to add one with the SS and they’re not cheap. Both very good boats. Can’t go wrong with either

I also do not know if the SS has any ballast with it.   I inquired about the ballast setup of the wakesetter. 

You might not be better off with factory ballast from that era.  You'll add piggyback at least and the factory hard tanks really get in the way in a lot of ways.  Bigger bags are better.

If you want a tower, they are expensive after market so include that in your calculations.

31 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

You might not be better off with factory ballast from that era.  You'll add piggyback at least and the factory hard tanks really get in the way in a lot of ways.  Bigger bags are better.

If you want a tower, they are expensive after market so include that in your calculations.

The '01 Wakesetter looks to have ballast other than stock, I just do not know how many lbs they hold. https://www.mainchannel.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=9677937&p=1&vc=wake %2F surf %2F ski&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory&fr=xPreOwnedInventory 

If you inspect the boats, most bags are labeled at least with model numbers which you can look up on your phone.   Or bring an inflator and fill them with air and see if they fill the space.  Search TMC for info on piggyback systems, pumps, inlets, vents, and lines.

Before you buy bring a friend that knows engines and a compression tester with tools.  If the dealer won't let you do that, walk.