Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you rather have (if anything)

RedOwl

My boat now is perfect for what I do. Its a 12' axis a22 with LS3 salt water series. My biggest priority is taking care of the boat after a day in salt. Most malibu's have full carpet, which would be a nightmare to clean. Salt likes to stick to the vinyl threads and the nicer boats have threads for days. Not to mention all the touch screens, etc. The malibus and other brands are a lot nicer boats, but I would honestly hate to own one in for saltwater use. Axis all the way for me.

Edited by kx250frider617

LS3 or PCM 450 equipped A24 is going to be in the 70s almost without a doubt. Especially new.

2014 LS3 A24 is 80's all day with only a few options (I priced 409 with sound pack 3 and LS3 with sound pack 1 when I built my A24) Edited by AJWest

I'd consider STRONGLY a 409 equipped A24 with SG, especially at low altitude.

Thanks Shawn - I will keep it on the list of possibilities (albeit a not particularly popular possibility based on other responses in this thread)

Just for the sake of being thorough, here are the included options for that <$65k A24:

1-500LB Center Tank
1000lbs Standard HARD Ballast
102" Wide
1250LBS Optional PNP Ballast
17 Person Capacity
2-250LB Rear Tanks
27" Draft
2nd Gorilla Fin, Turns X Fast
4500LBS
78 Gallon Fuel Tank
Auto Set Wedge
Bluetooth For Streaming Music
Boatmate Trailer
Cruise Control
CS Bimini Top
CS Cover, Custom
Depth Finder
Dripless Shaft Seal
Dual Battery Switch
Fixed Racks
Flip Up Drivers Seat
Flush Kit Transom Install
Heater 3 Outlet
Mirror Bracket W/Bottle Opener
Monsoon 410HP 6.0L CAT
PNP Ballast Plumbing
Prop 14.25x14.5
Pull Up Cleats-2 Pair
Rear Slide Skybox Seat
SS Cupholders

A24 wouldn't be on my list for the reasons above.

IMHO a nicer well optioned but slightly used is available at that price. I am seeing LSVs with 70-80 hours going for that price....barely broken in. This is one of the main reasons why I don't bother considering a new VRIDE or AXIS.

Surfgate is a non plus for me. I don't want to pay for an option that I won't use and would likely take off. I prefer a listed wave.

Ya but theres a premium for SG 2013 boats VS non SG 2012 boats because SG is a gamechanger lol. In other words those flaps and actuators would have to be worth 5k.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
Ya but theres a premium for SG 2013 boats VS non SG 2012 boats because SG is a gamechanger lol. In other words those flaps and actuators would have to be worth 5k.

Yeah the only way it becomes "worth it" is to get a '14 with a 350 and then strip the sg.... But that boat would sure be hard to resell.

What other brands are you looking at or considering? The listed 23 puts out a good wake for a wakeboard boat, but if you don't wakeboard....

People keep saying that but I demoed a supreme (known to be a surf boat) and it absolutely wasn't better then a vride. The 247 wave was sooo much better than the alleged surf boat it's not funny. And icing on the cake talking to our local supreme dealer he had a guy trading in an Enzo because he like the supreme wave better....interesting.

I was prepared to demo a SAN 236 but after talking to Bobby I wouldn't be happy. I hate how ugly the Tige and centurions are.... So what does that leave me? I still might demo the 236, it's close and would be fun to put that question to rest.

All in all I am not convinced that Malibu is a bad choice for a surfer. And then there's this: my wife really thought she wouldn't be able to drive the Supreme. Felt too high up off the water with all that freeboard.

The new 2015 Axis T22 fits the bill better then I expected. I really liked my friends 14 and was surpised. The 15s are even better. But that SG wave.....

Then there's this thread, like others have said, you can get a used LSV with under a 100 hours in the same price range as a new axis or vride. So that's why I'll probably stick with a Malibu.

Edited by Lance B. Johnson
At less than $65k that's a 350 in one of the biggest boats in Malibus fleet, right? At my altitude that is a nonstarter.

I'm glad someone finally sees this ! I don't understand how they can pop a 350 into this beast. My Buddy has a 2014 A24 and it has them same engine as my '11 VLX (except his is the SS version which I don't fully understand yet) and anyways, how can you reasonably expect to push that much extra weight with the same engine that's used on a VLX. Either that's saying my VLX is "overpowered" or his is "underpowered"

When are they gonna get smart and go to a 4.2 litre turbo Cummins ... More torque, more weight and less fuel burn...

People keep saying that but I demoed a supreme (known to be a surf boat) and it absolutely wasn't better then a vride. The 247 wave was sooo much better than the alleged surf boat it's not funny. And icing on the cake talking to our local supreme dealer he had a guy trading in an Enzo because he like the supreme wave better....interesting.

I was prepared to demo a SAN 236 but after talking to Bobby I wouldn't be happy. I hate how ugly the Tige and centurions are.... So what does that leave me? I still might demo the 236, it's close and would be fun to put that question to rest.

All in all I am not convinced that Malibu is a bad choice for a surfer. And then there's this: my wife really thought she wouldn't be able to drive the Supreme. Felt too high up off the water with all that freeboard.

The new 2015 Axis T22 fits the bill better then I expected. I really liked my friends 14 and was surpised. The 15s are even better. But that SG wave.....

Then there's this thread, like others have said, you can get a used LSV with under a 100 hours in the same price range as a new axis or vride. So that's why I'll probably stick with a Malibu.

What's a SAN 236?

Which Supreme did you demo? whatever it was, there's no way you saw its true potential. Demos are funny that way. It's like a Malibu dealer taking you out for a 247 demo and expecting to see a wave like Brandon's. Ain't happening.

With that said, I understand the desire to know exactly what you're getting before you scratch out that check. If that's the deal, just get the 247 and be done with it. I get that it won't fit in your garage, but you wouldn't be the first guy to make a sacrifice for just the right boat/wave. I have a feeling your not gonna be happy with anything less, even a 23 LSV with the same dong sack setup could be different.

I hear ya.

But you are comparing dialed to not dialed boats. Additional freeboard shouldn't really matter, but bow rise (the supreme's real downfall IMHO) probably would. But ask yourself how long it took to get the recipe "just right" on the vride. I'd think your best bet would be to go seek out owners who have dialed their boats' waves. We all like to show off our rides, and tige/centurion/supreme/mb/nautique owners are the same way. Find an enthusiast who thinks his setup is rockin, then take a ride (just like you did behind BB's 247).

If you ever made it down my way I'm pretty sure you'd be pleased with my wave.

Edited by shawndoggy