Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Planning/Executing my winter Stereo Build

Trumpetrhapsody

So now that I won't be putting gas in the boat for awhile, l want to put some speakers in instead. Oh boy, another one of these threads! Seriously though, I've been reading around this section a good bit and I'm more looking for impressions and opinions rather than model numbers and how-to's.

I already have a battery switch running dual batteries, so I'm good there. I'll need to look into adding a charging station eventually.

Right now I just have the factory 4x Infinity 6.5's, no amp on the JBL MR-22. The first weekend after buying the boat I tossed in my old custom MDF box with 12" Bazooka driver running on a 240watt rms Boss amp - it does a good enough job for the time being so i'll leave it alone after I properly rebuild the now-ballooning box.

For the cabin speakers, I'd like to add a pair for the bow and toss in an amp. I think I'll see if I can get away with keeping the stock Infinity's for now, find a 75-150w rms 4ch amp, and just run some bow speakers off the head unit. Then at some point I'll get some higher quality 6.5's for the dash, and upgrade to 6x9's in the rear for the mid-bass my sub is lacking. Do you guy's think that's a good idea, or should I stick with all 6.5's?

For the tower speakers I'm torn. I really don't want to be the guy lighting up the whole lake with noise - so my main goal is to be able to hear them clearly surfing (probably going to add FAE), and while floating around outside the boat in the coves. While it would be cool, I feel like some Rev8 or XM7 would be overkill. Do I REALLY need HLCD, or for my purpose would I be ok with basic coaxials? I'm also hoping to just balance the tower volume to the cabin via amp gain once while underway, then only adjust using the master volume - i'll toggle them on/off with the amp's remote signal. Will I be constantly fighting to find a balance, or are there those of you that run this way with no issue? (I've seen the WS-420, again cool but maybe overkill?)

I've been doing a lot of reading and many of you folks go to some pretty extreme lengths and push some serious power, which is understandable if you want to hear music wakeboarding like you were sitting in the boat or be the loudest boat in the cove, but for me I think with a modest upgrade and FAE I can get reasonable volume underway and surfing, and crisp respectable volume parked. What do yall think, good enough or not enough to bother - go big or go home?

I'll be sure to post up pictures progress and impressions with whatever I end up doing.

For the cabin speakers, I'd like to add a pair for the bow and toss in an amp. I think I'll see if I can get away with keeping the stock Infinity's for now, find a 75-150w rms 4ch amp, and just run some bow speakers off the head unit.

Most any 4chnl amp will easily drive those 3 pairs. If a larger speaker for the aft main cabin is in the future, I would stay the course, go with a 6 chnl or add a small 2 chnl just for the bow pair.

For the tower speakers I'm torn. I really don't want to be the guy lighting up the whole lake with noise - so my main goal is to be able to hear them clearly surfing (probably going to add FAE), and while floating around outside the boat in the coves. While it would be cool, I feel like some Rev8 or XM7 would be overkill. Do I REALLY need HLCD, or for my purpose would I be ok with basic coaxials?

For a surf/party cove specific system, HLCDs are not necessary. But, with the right about of power, coaxials can be heard across the lake as well. 2 pair of 6.5" or a single pair of 8" coaxial pods would likely meet those needs and would be a little warmer and fuller than an HLCD.

I'm also hoping to just balance the tower volume to the cabin via amp gain once while underway, then only adjust using the master volume - i'll toggle them on/off with the amp's remote signal. Will I be constantly fighting to find a balance, or are there those of you that run this way with no issue? (I've seen the WS-420, again cool but maybe overkill?)

You would not want to use the amp gains in this manor. They are set it and forget it kinda setting. Once you throttle back the dominant zone, its that way until you climb in the locker with a flash light and tools to readjust when you want that volume back.

You adjust the zones via the head-unit's fade, but that can sometimes require going into the head-unit menu to get to the fade.

A better option is a zone volume controller. They will put independent zone volume controls at your fingertips on the helm. They are great for those that do need EQ and other features. There are some that are marine specific and offer a 9V per chnl line level benefit.

Good info, thanks! I hadn't thought about trying to find a 6ch amp. Wouldn't I run into impedance issues trying to double up 2 speakers per channel on a 4ch amp?

You would not want to use the amp gains in this manor. They are set it and forget it kinda setting.

That's kinda what I'm asking though - once you find your happy place balancing the tower speakers to the cabins, do you really adjust them very often?

Good info, thanks! I hadn't thought about trying to find a 6ch amp. Wouldn't I run into impedance issues trying to double up 2 speakers per channel on a 4ch amp?

That's kinda what I'm asking though - once you find your happy place balancing the tower speakers to the cabins, do you really adjust them very often?

Most amps are at least 2 ohm stable. So two 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel = 2 ohm. Two 2 ohm wired in series = 4 ohm. Most any speaker you go with, there will be a safe way to configure it.

When im surfing, I want to hear the music from the tower speaker, without blasting the passengers. When im in the boat, I prefer the in-boats. Cant do that when they are both tied to the same volume.