Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Venting 1100's in VLX locker.

Murphy8166

Have an 1100lb bag in each rear locker. Just wondering if anyone has been able to vent them and see water coming out the side of the boat to indicate the bag is full.

Mine are not vented and I open the hatch to watch them. My fear is that even with a vent, they might get to much water in there and do damage prior to water coming out of the vent line. Bag is much biiger than compartment.

Thanks

How many holes does the bag have? It should have 3 if they are the same as my 750's. 2 on top and one on the bottom. The top holes are fill and vent the bottom is empty.

If it doesn't vent I wouldn't think it would fill.

Murphy, I have 1100s plubed in, and the overflow vents on mine are Y'd into the downhill section of the bilge line, just before those bilge lines go thru out the hull. No additional holes to drill, as I have 2 bilge pumps, and 1 outlet on each side of the boat for each back by the lockers. Not sure where yours are.

You just gotta loop the bilge line UP into the gunnel...secure it there at the very top, then let it come down to the thru hull. In that 6-10" or so of down hill section is where you put your Y for the bags overflow, right by the hull.

And yes you are right, it certainly can damage... almost crushed a Flyboy I forgot I put down there... even WITH the vents shooting 3/4" waterstream out almost 2ft.

Mine fill from the bottom and overflow from the top as you describe.

Edited by nyryan2001

My 1100's vent when full. Mine are on reversible pumps that fill from bottom (of course) and drain at the top. Vent and drain share same thru-hull using T and check valves. Works well

Where are you check valves. On the vent line b/t the Bag and T fitting?

Do you also do one on the vent like that you T into?

Where are you check valves. On the vent line b/t the Bag and T fitting?

Do you also do one on the vent like that you T into?

One between the vent line to the bag and the T, so water/air can't get back into the bag. Other is right after the intake but before the T at the pump...this one directs the water to go out the vent instead of back out the bottom of the boat.

My fear is that even with a vent, they might get to much water in there and do damage prior to water coming out of the vent line.

This is a legitimate concern. Just running the numbers, if the side of your bag is 20" x 50" and the pump is able to build up 2 psi in the bag, the force developed would be 20 x 50 x 2 = 2000 lbs. This force would only be the if the bad has something to push against on opposite side, like in the locker.

According to the ballast puppy manual, at least 8.7 psi can be generated, so unvented, the force can go to 20 x 50 x 8.7 = 8700lbs!!

No VLX but mine vent when full. I try to watch so that it doesn't because I know there is a lot of pressure built up when it gets to that point. I have 1" coming in and 3/4" venting, like most on here do. One thing to keep in mind is not only is the vent smaller but it has a 90 elbow. If I remember correctly a 90 will reduce flow and increase back-pressure on the bag.

You make a good point but why not keep doing what your doing and have the vent as a back-up in case you forget about the bag?

I think you'll blow afitting before you do damage to the boat. If that's what you major concern is

Edited by Simo