Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat in a pool

waldito

Haha I've always told the wife if we put a pool in we should do a beach/ramp and store the boat in it when not using it. Never thought I'd actually see a boat in a pool tho. Awesome!

ok, one of you engineers please explain this like I am five:

Q: Does the weight of the boat when placed in the pool put any more pressure on the sides or bottom of the pool?

A: No. Assuming the pool was already brimming it is already seeing maximum head of water. Lets say the boat weighs 2 tonnes. When it goes in the pool it displaces 2 tonnes of water (2 cubic metres). The original 2 tonnes is replaced by a different 2 tonnes.

The load on the walls is set by the depth or 'head' of water. If the pool height remains the same, it doesn't matter if the pool is 1 metre in diameter or ten kilometres in diameter - the load on the walls and bottom stays the same.

Same for a dam wall. The load on the wall is set by the height of the water bearing on it. Doesn't matter if the dam is a tiny thing or goes back into valleys etc and covers a 10000 acres - the load on the wall is the same due to head of water at the wall remaining the same.

Maybe I explained that like a five year old...

I'm sure chlorine could not be good for anything on that boat. If you started it up while it was in the pool, which wouldn't surprise me in the least, I'd get it to the lake and flush everything out.

Other than than...looks like fun, I guess.

In this case, unless water overflowed out of the pool when the boat was put in, the sides and the bottom did see an increase in pressure. This is because the water level increased. This is actually what the term displacement means, how much "water volume" a boat "displaces".

You could measure the change in depth in the pool and calculate the displacement (weight) of the boat.

In this case, unless water overflowed out of the pool when the boat was put in, the sides and the bottom did see an increase in pressure. This is because the water level increased. This is actually what the term displacement means, how much "water volume" a boat "displaces".

You could measure the change in depth in the pool and calculate the displacement (weight) of the boat.

Yes and, of course, is no different than if the pool was just topped up with more water instead of a boat...

Edited by GreenMan